Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

iPhone apps

I have managed to get my hands on a 32g iPhone (thanx for the upgrade telstra), i am quickly falling in love with this phone. Amazing thing of beauty and technology all in one :D

I just wanted to ask for those that own one, what's there favourite apps. I am mainly interested in the free ones as i don't want to go broke :laugh: but am happy to take some must haves to purchase...(oh and if anyone has Mafia Wars, i need more mafia as friends.;) )

just downloaded peek-a-boo for my daughter, will try it out on her tomorrow nite when i change her for bed time. She needs something to distract her otherwise its up on her feet and off we go :p

The pay ones are usually very cheap anyway. I would say these are must haves...

Flight Control - V addictive game - $1.19

Breakout - Awesome version - $1.19

Spider - supposed to be amazing - bought it for a flight I have coming up, not tried it yet but thats $4.

Metlink (full melb public transport timetables, what trains, buses, trams are due at all stops across the entire city) - very very useful for me. - Free

Thats it really, cluttered the crap out of my old iphone, trying to keep the new one tidy, in fact just wiped and restored the old one for use overseas as Optus let my corp unlock their entire fleet, even tho telstra gave us all new 3GS :) Not planning on jailbreaking my 3GS, it slowed my old one down no end and I got fed up with all the nagging updates to Cydia. I am waiting for an app that records youtube vids tho, there is a great one for jail broken phones but iWhoppee for non JB'ed phones is very very flaky.

I've tried lots of the free apps and the ones I most frequently use are:

Road Trip LE - it's basically a fuel logging app (I do a lot of km's)

BatteryLife - self explanatory

UsageVF - Account usage meter for Vodafone, they do one for most providers though

AusPostcode

Scramble - Not what the name suggests. If you ever played boggle as a kid this will be very familiar though and is rather addictive

Colourful Aquarium Lite

Flahlight

Toobz Free - Same as the old Pipe Dream PC application

There are others but those are the main ones I use. You'll find a huge number of the paid apps have a free 'lite' version which are quite good. I've not upgraded any to full versions yet but I may soon.

I've only used free ones so far. though i did buy a shopping app only because i have plans to develop simialr for the iphone.

the apps i use the most:

• ABC
  • Facebook
  • ComSec
  • Sol Free - use this heaps, though i suspect the free one intentionaly plays games that are hard to get out
  • pocket cinema
  • Currency
  • French Word
  • Qantas
  • Planets - very cool app
  • IceTv - guide for what is on tv
  • ElecToolkit
  • ResistorCode
  • Topple
  • Lux Touch (thuogh a tad boring after a while)
  • Conquest lite (same as prev.)
  • Galcon Lite (again another one, nice but after a while a tad boring)
  • FS5 Hockey - air hocky for two players
  • Lightsaber - geek toy
  • Zippo Lighter - kinda weird

Btw I'm working on some apps right now. If anyone has any suggestions for apps that they would like please let me know.

:edit:

Flight Control - V addictive game - $1.19

Breakout - Awesome version - $1.19

I'm interested in the breakout one (i love breakout) but searching on breakout gives ya a tonne of hits. Can you tell me who the manufacturer is please?

• 3 weeks later...

Felaur PDF - the ONLY pretty much full screen browser i've found, and easy to use too - costs a couple of bucks

Full Screen browser by sopods...gives you a lot of extra real estate when browsing the internet in horizontal mode.....it's not great at remembering websites though..but I use it a LOT..only a couple of bucks

Trapster..uses googles maps and a lot of local knowledge to warn you about speed cameras.....Free, links into facebook too

Flashlight....great for using the phone as a torch in the dark, Free

Google Earth...funky way of looking at your position on the planet

ZX Cam...turns your camera pictures into images that can be viewed on the old 8 bit sinclair / timex computers

Genius Camera...superb replacement for the camera app, sound triggering, full screen tap anywhere to take a pic button....costs a few bucks but awesome!

Hope that helps you

• 2 months later...

I'm a Blackberry man (can't give up the physical qwerty keyboard) but I did just buy an iPod Touch for my business (A/V) and it can run the same apps as the iPhone. It doesn't come standard with a microphone so you can't use apps like Shazam out of the box but you can get 3rd party mics or I guess you could plug in an iPhone headset. Anything that needs to communicate with the internet or your network will need to use WiFi, where iPhone obviously has the ability to use the 3G mobile phone network for data access.

The power of this device is amazing given the apps available. Some are also available on the Blackberry, but most are just a little slicker on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

If I get use to using the touch screen keyboard, I might finally switch to the iPhone and my wife will end up with her 3rd hand me down blackberry from me.

Apps wise, if you have Foxtel iQ you can program a show to record remotely using 'Foxtel Guide'. eBay have an app as well if you do a lot of eBaying. Skype could be handy as well, allowing you to make calls at WiFi hotspots if the bandwidth is good enough I guess.

I just installed an Apple TV at a clients place and they can control it quite nicely from their iPhones and iPod touch's using 'Remote' by Apple. Apple TV is basically an iPod for the home and gives you the ability to connect it to your TV and A/V system to play iTunes and view movies and photos. You can also buy music and movies directly off the iTunes store without the need to use a PC or Mac. I've integrated it into their lounge A/V system so they can use it in the lounge and also their 2nd zone which is the deck area for music. They want another 5 integrated into the other systems for the house after Christmas.

Dick Smiths are doing the iPod Touch for $250 including an after market 240v charger & car charger. If you have an Apple Store nearby they might match the price and provide original apple accessories, which I found out a little too late.

I'm a Blackberry man (can't give up the physical qwerty keyboard) but I did just buy an iPod Touch for my business (A/V) and it can run the same apps as the iPhone. It doesn't come standard with a microphone so you can't use apps like Shazam out of the box but you can get 3rd party mics or I guess you could plug in an iPhone headset. Anything that needs to communicate with the internet or your network will need to use WiFi, where iPhone obviously has the ability to use the 3G mobile phone network for data access.

The power of this device is amazing given the apps available. Some are also available on the Blackberry, but most are just a little slicker on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

If I get use to using the touch screen keyboard, I might finally switch to the iPhone and my wife will end up with her 3rd hand me down blackberry from me.

Apps wise, if you have Foxtel iQ you can program a show to record remotely using 'Foxtel Guide'. eBay have an app as well if you do a lot of eBaying. Skype could be handy as well, allowing you to make calls at WiFi hotspots if the bandwidth is good enough I guess.

I just installed an Apple TV at a clients place and they can control it quite nicely from their iPhones and iPod touch's using 'Remote' by Apple. Apple TV is basically an iPod for the home and gives you the ability to connect it to your TV and A/V system to play iTunes and view movies and photos. You can also buy music and movies directly off the iTunes store without the need to use a PC or Mac. I've integrated it into their lounge A/V system so they can use it in the lounge and also their 2nd zone which is the deck area for music. They want another 5 integrated into the other systems for the house after Christmas.

Dick Smiths are doing the iPod Touch for $250 including an after market 240v charger & car charger. If you have an Apple Store nearby they might match the price and provide original apple accessories, which I found out a little too late.

Thanks for that info Claude, exactly what I wanted to hear:D

I ended up persuading Santa to get me the 32GB IPod touch over the 8GB (I do like my multi media:)), and I really don't need/afford another network connection ( I use a prepaid phone and very little of it ;)) but the Wifi at both homes with be invaluable to me, plus all my music in the car and now GPS too :D

I do spend a bit of time in doctor waiting rooms so the games will be a nice addition as well.

Roll on Christmas day :D

• 1 year later...

Just thought i'd drench this up again to ask about some business apps.

Looking to actually use my iPhone for its intended purpose :redface and wanting to know a few recommendations.

I am bascially a sales rep and want to be able to put an order into my phone and email it back to the guys who manufacture the product. Also wanting a good, simple excel type program to put pricing into in excel format.

Any other apps i should consider to streamline how i work, are those card files of use for instance?

Thanks guys

• 2 months later...

Pinball finder

I recently found a pinball finder that is world wide. It uses google maps and your current location to find pinballs in the wild.

You have to input them though cause there isn't many imported yet, especially in Australia. I have just been using the sited pins list on here but I think it's a cool app for sure and free!

Edit: it's the Pinfinder by Sam & Neil. There is two

Edited by spaceballs
Added right finder

A game i often play on the shitter is Tiny Wings. Its physically cool, short and completely addictive!

funnily enough thats a game I often play at the same time !

yes its addictive

never managed to get to island 9 :realmad:

• 3 years later...

Bumping an old thread as I need a few more games. Sport games would be cool. Tried Fifa14 but a bit eh...

For any that want a mind game try 2048. Grrrrrr..

So, anyone got any more games for me. The freer the better!