Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

DMD Display prob? Party Zone.

shansta

Question

As the title suggests - I think my display has gone to god...

Does strange things on the self test - the single line sweep from left to right works perfectly, the line from top to bottom is almost completely missing?

Any text displayed is missing the top row of dots. (Both upper and lower lines of text)

Animations are hit and miss - work sometimes, sometimes not...

When the machine is stone cold - the display hardly works at all for a minute...

And the thing is noisy? Sounds like capacitor noise - changes pitch depending on what the display is doing...

I can see outgassing (or whatever they call it) - so I know the panel itself is on it's way out - the other stuff worries me - should I be looking at the driver board as well?

Shane.

9 answers to this question

Try an different DMD if you have one.

And replace the caps on the DMD controller board.

Dont have another one to try.... :(

I will do the caps on the controller - the noise is the panel itself...

God this is fun - haven't done this sort of crap in years!

Measured the 65v rail and the DC's check out ok. (Don't think anybody has cranked the voltages up or any shit like that)

I can't get a reading off the 2 seperate HV lines (the -125 / -113 v rail)

Dont know what to use as an earth for the multimeter? I get 1.25mv! Doh! :laugh::laugh:

I know there is juice there as the display is working - just my ignorance is the problem!

Shane.

Mate all the symptoms are outgassing (especially the invisible vertical sweep in the test)- but COULD be a low HV like the others have mentioned. I hope it is a low HV, as an outgassed display has no hope of repair, and will need to be replaced.

Another indicator of outgassing is that after a few minutes the problem lessens as the panel warms up and increases the gas pressure just a little bit...

Have you owned a DMD game before? The DMD panels do "sing" based on what they show - a high pitched almost ringing sound that changes based on the screen.

Keep in mind that you are looking at this closer than ever and with the backglass off - both which will make the sound seem more prominent.

Cheers

Jacob

My wife says it's not normal - she says it's a sign of electricity! :lol

She also is trying to by a fridge on ebay - with FREE POSTAGE! (like 200kg worth) :o

No I haven't owned a DMD before - and yeah as you put it - she sings!

Mine was completely dead this morning. (Bloody cold around 7deg) - so I would say it has gone to meet god!

Still haven't got serious about checking the HV yet - stuffing around with the other machine...