Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - T9 Game 7: Defender

Game 7: Defender

Rom: defender.zip

Randomly selected from the MGL 9 game list, game 25 on the list

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124210296.jpg

http://www.klov.com/images/11/1181242102101.png

Current HiScore held by no-one

Manufacturer: Williams

Year: 1980

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Shooter

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Horizontal

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Williams

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 2-way (up, down)

Buttons: 5 [Fire|Thrust|Reverse|Hyperspace|Smart Bomb]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Defender Description

Defend the human population from swarms of attacking aliens. Extremely popular even though it was deemed a flop at a 1981 Chicago arcade machine trade show because of its difficulty. The attract mode for the game was programmed in just five hours.

(http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=D&game_id=7547)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 9 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Mid week bonus of 10 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Wednesday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 14th of September BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

Can someone advise which Rom label to use I have NFI:)

Edited by DKong
Auto Merged Double Post.
  • Like 1

is there such thing as voting for a new game pick in the mgl :)

this is the same as last game, only horizontal...

When it came up I couldn't believe it, as I had said in the Juno first thread like a vertical Defender. Thought about selecting another game but that would sort of ruin the randomness.

Defender Red Label = defender.zip

Cheers mate, is this the best rom version to play of Defender :unsure

• Like 1

This is a completely different game to Juno first :lol, have loved this game for eons, and how cool is it to watch someone who can play it well :o

Surprisingly the first time it has come up in the MGL, so scores will be interesting.

Really want to spend some time on it this week.

Anyone have a preference for button setup on there mame cabs when playing this game:unsure

I am using left/right for thrust and buttons for the rest:unsure

Well here is my first pissed effort :lol

Think my top is around 32,000 , time to get some game on guys ;)

Edited by DKong
  • Like 1

These games are getting harsher...........:confused:

Amen to that, Defender is wayyyyyy harder than Juno First :o

Hopefully get some practice this evening. My best times for these league games are whenever 'So you think you can dance' or 'Australian Idol' comes on the telly. Then it's "I'm off to the Garage!" :D

• Like 1

Amen to that, Defender is wayyyyyy harder than Juno First :o

Hopefully get some practice this evening. My best times for these league games are whenever 'So you think you can dance' or 'Australian Idol' comes on the telly. Then it's "I'm off to the Garage!" :D

Man, anyone who likes this game is lame. Full Stop.

I mean, i wish we could play Juno First for another week.............

The only thing Defender has got going for it is the credit noise........Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r r r r r r r

• Like 1

LOL.

Defender and Pacman are the number 1 grossing video games of all time with estimated earnings of over $1 Billion usd. (that would have been declared earnings too!) Its also voted one of the hardest video games ever!

#1 grossing that's kinda weird, seeing as it is so hard. Guess people just kept feeding coins cause you could be game over so quick ? I stayed away from it in it's arcade days, had better, more fun things to spend 2 bob on.. joker poker and 6 million dollar man pins, to name a couple... not forgetting space wars, oh my, space wars.

Williams had great sound effects in their games for the time. I'm playing a fair bit of Tutankham at the moment, same hardware, smart bomb, it's also DAMN hard. You gotta be Stern to play these games :rolleyes

• Like 1

what do you mean back then!

I can see why it was so popular, I mean 5 buttons and a joystick in 1980, that would have seemed cool back then I bet.

Defender rocks! Like galaxians one of my favourite games to put on for the young ones who claim (Awwww those 80's game so easy, so boring!) $5 none of you get to the second screen. That same $5 note awaits on top of my cabinet unclaimed:lol A great game and a top looking cabinet!

2062736430091938043xlyEKs_th.jpg.7d0430de3d9604cbea78080fc3645808.jpg

2698014000091938043KLTJXY_th.jpg.9a99e01f4c005a18f8cadd09c30e8711.jpg

• Like 1

LOL.

Defender and Pacman are the number 1 grossing video games of all time with estimated earnings of over $1 Billion usd. (that would have been declared earnings too!)

Its also voted one of the hardest video games ever!

It's all because of that coin noise..... take that away and no cash and el lamo lame lame.... :D

(The games sending me mad, see...!!!)

• Like 1

Glad at least one person is ecstatic to play Defender straight after Juno First :boring:

I take it back, I'd forgotten how much fun Defender can be, it's been so many years now.

Edit: score update, personal best :)

Edited by Jed
  • Like 1

Great game, I remember finding a cocktail cab of this at a local pizza parlour, dunno if it was set on easy dips, or if it was the close button layout but I could kick ass on that one.

Have not played enough this time to get in the zone, it's a real workout this one.

Hopefully will get to have another game on Monday, but probably won't beat this score. LOL got my extra at 40k and must have shot one more dude, or probably just crashed into one.

I remember watching a bloke clock this in an arcade in Melb in the day, reflexes :o

defe0002.png.049e4caacd32b426fe0edb7fcf02b5d4.png

• Like 1

i want in! when does T10 start? wizard of wor will have to make the list, right? what do folks think of playing for 5/10/20 bucks a week/season?

Not long after T9 :)

I am thinking on people who played at least 3 games in the previous MGL should be the only ones who nominate the games for the next. We seem to get a heap of nominations for games but only a few regular players:unsure

What isn't a trophy good enough :p, we have discussed money before and decided it wasn't the best idea. Always good to bring it up again, maybe this group would be keen :unsure

I am happy just with the trophy's .

Thanks for your input and Welcome to the MGL:)

• Like 1

i want in! when does T10 start? wizard of wor will have to make the list, right? what do folks think of playing for 5/10/20 bucks a week/season?

I think a trophy is good enough incentive, if you need one, for me I play for the fun of the comp and hanging out virtually with like-minded folk, and seeing some of the insane scores that eventuate is pretty cool.

A Game suggestion Dkong? Something me and a friend played the other day, what seemed at first like quite a naff platformer with a flying duck (maybe a chicken), turned out to be quite addictive: Flicky!

• Like 1