Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Indiana Jones (The Pinball Adventure) - Williams

Common issues for IJ:

7 opto trough problems - this early revision of the 7-opto PCB set was prone to vibration damage from the ball popping mechanism. A revised board set has rubber grommets to help minimise vibration damage. Another common issue is the IR LEDs failing - they are run hard in the trough, and quite often die - this causes the odd behaviour such as launching 2 balls in play when not in multiball.

Faded Cabinet Art: This machine is famous for the fading of the cabinet artwork

Path of Adventure Issues: The set screw for the PoA or the Photo-interrupter arm can work loos or be mis-adjusted, making it impossible to play properly. Double check they are tight and aligned - the minipf test in the test menu is good to help out here. If the ball goes past the entrance to the PoA instead of rolling onto it, check the level of your machine 1st, then if still misbehaving there are 2 metal "tabs" on the bridge that can be tweaked to help ensure the ball gets onto the PoA.

Mode start Saucer: A hard shot, made even harder when the ball hardly ever stays in there. Wear on the metal scoop behind the saucer seems to be the culprit here - it gets bent out of shape and will deflect rather than catch the ball.

Flipper button switches on imports: I have seen 3 out of 3 import IJs where the flipper opto PCBs have been removed, and replaced with SS/EM style flipper switches. Without the optos the Path of Adventure does not work correctly!

Cheers

Jacob

• 9 months later...

POA replacement motor

I had to replace the PoA motor recently. Clay's guide said you could get one from Radio, I found one online from Dick Smith. This replacement motor has a slightly longer shaft, which can be trimmed back, also the shaft is thinner so you will need to rap tape around the shaft ( I used plumbers tape).

The new motor moves the PoA a little quicker but other works well.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4c0dfbb203c87eaa2742c0a87e0106dc/Product/View/P9004

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

Dan

• 2 months later...

For game resetting/ restarting in game play FAULT. The 5 volt rail dropped to 4.8 volts which causes the watchdog circuit to shut down the machine. Most common causes are Rectifier B2 replace even if it appears normal also replace the electrolytic caps C30, C11, C5, C7 & C6 as there all getting old now.

Update 2016:- Before doing the above try re-seating the J-210 plug on the CPU board as it now has a history of causing restarts/crashing.

Edited by Gemini2544

• 3 weeks later...

When replacing the caps in question especially the large filter caps tied to the BR's it's a fail safe to wire bridge each pos. and neg. leg of each cap to it's respective BR. I have made this common practice as I have had problems in the past when this is not done as the solder doesn't flow through to the other side of the PCB ending up with the same problem you started with.

Hotty

• 2 months later...

I found if you get a voltage drop across connector J114/J101 the game will reset when both flippers are pressed at the same time. you should test \ re-seat this plug before you change br2, you will re-seat this plug when you change br2 unknowingly you will think you fixed the fault by changing br2

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Edited by swine hoont

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Common issues for IJ:

7 opto trough problems - this early revision of the 7-opto PCB set was prone to vibration damage from the ball popping mechanism. A revised board set has rubber grommets to help minimise vibration damage. Another common issue is the IR LEDs failing - they are run hard in the trough, and quite often die - this causes the odd behaviour such as launching 2 balls in play when not in multiball.

Mine did this. Very annoying. Got the new board installed and problem gone.

Recently had switch matrix issues & on advise which was correct remove IC U20 on the CPU board, replace with a ic socket & place a new IC in which is a darlington transistor array worth about 50 cents.

Here is a little tip. If you suspect you have a dead I.R led just grab your digital phone, camera or video and look at each led in question. They light up white when viewed through the camera's lcd screen if working and stay black if dead. Saves heaps of time & guess work. :)

Edited by Gemini2544

• 4 years later...
Just recently had re-setting/crashing issues again after years of good playing. Issue seemed to go away after re seating Plug J-210 on the CPU board. Please try this first as it costs nothing & could be the answer your looking for. :) Also Next time you have the Sol/Driver board out for any other work inspect the LM232k transistors solder joints as I have found a dry cracked solder joint on the output leg. Edited by Gemini2544

• 5 months later...

To get rid of the "Don't do drugs" message on a Williams Indiana Jones.

CPU board dip switch settings need to be 1 OFF, 2 OFF, 3 ON, 4 ON, 5 OFF, 6 ON, 7 OFF, 8 ON.

This sets the machine to Export "Australia" you will reset the machine doing this.

So change the dip sw settings with the machine OFF then turn ON and reset messages will flash ( wait about 30 seconds) & turn the machine OFF.

Wait 10 seconds & turn back ON, Message is gone. You'll have to reset your personal settings like Free play ect.