Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Worth repairing old TV's?

Hey all ...

So I have a Grundig ST 70-700 NIC/TEXT TV which I love .... If any of you have had a Grundig or Metz tv you will know what I am talking about with their crisp but soft pictures.

http://www.4yhome.com/oldertv/IMG_0008.jpg

My TV has been providing hints for the last couple of weeks that it wasnt happy but now goes into standby mode as soon as I try to start it, the picture appers for a few seconds but then the field collapses, and then the TV goes back into standby mode.

Just adding up the costs of trying to get it repaired or looking for a new LCD TV.

Dont know if anyone else went through the same thing when switching from CRT to LCD / Plasma but my main issue is going to be the entertainment unit. Its a huge beast that houses the stereo and a bunch of other things etc but the hole for the TV is only 880w x 640h x 470d ... which makes it hard to buy a decent widescreen format tv.

Also the height of the entertainment unit itself is probably too high 1300h to then put a tv on top as you will be looking up too high from the lounge... plus there is an air con in the wall above the cabinet

Any ideas ... anyone else got their old tv repaired rather than taking the plunge on a new one ... or in this case thousands on a new entertainment unit as well. :unsure

I reakon they should also list wxhxd dimensions of tv's in catalogs .... i just want the biggest one that will fit in my cabinet :)

And you cant tell any of that from the masses of catalogs that come through your door.