Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Where to get a 50 Ohm Double Gang Pot?

noisuf

Question

I have a faulty 50 ohm double gang pot that was controlling the volume in my cabinet.

I've been looking everywhere to see where I could get a replacement but the least impedance I've been able to locate is 10k. Does anyone know where I can get these?

Worst case is I use the 10k one but have very limited precision for volume...

Thanks for any advice!

9 answers to this question

Just came back from Jaycar...I have a few options.....

1) Get a linear 10K dual gang pot and put a a 50 ohm resistor is parallel with each gang. Not sure if there are voltage considerations as it's 10K.

2) They sell a fader control (it's massive) rated at 5W. It's rated for 8 ohm speakers. I'm going to pick one up and hook it up temporary and see if it works.

3) Wreckers sell their radios for $27. This may be too expensive as I don't know what's in a radio until I take it apart.

Edited by noisuf

Just came back from Jaycar...I have a few options.....

1) Get a linear 10K dual gang pot and put a a 50 ohm resistor is parallel with each gang. Not sure if there are voltage considerations as it's 10K.

10K pot won't affect much until it's wound down to a few 100 ohms. Most of the power will go through the 50 ohm resistor.

Took a punt and connected up the massive pot. Not bad...it effective total mute but volume cranks up very quickly.

It's a fader control pot so the advice took me down the right path. Cheers.

As Ralph said, the 10K pot with resistor won't work. You need a pot in the 8 Ohm - 50 Ohm range.

Any modern-ish car radio with front and rear outputs doesn't use a stereo fader, but uses a 10K (or so) pot to feed 2 pairs of stereo amplifiers. Only a few from the 80's era used low resistance fader controls inside the radio itself.

The faders I was referring to were after market ones that wired between the car radio and 2 (front and rear) sets of speakers. They were often rated at about 10 Watts and sold in auto accessory stores. They're not common any more since new car audio systems now use 4 (or more) audio amplifiers.

Oops, I re-read my post and think I didn't convey myself well.

I bought a 'massive' pot from Jaycar...massive as in physical size. It's a stereo fader control, dual gang, for 8 ohm speakers.

It's doing the job quite well...I just had to make room in my distribution box for it to fit.

So your fader suggestion was definitely on the right track!!! Thanks!!! :)

Fingers crossed that this is the last of my cabinet issues...first lost blue colour, then test switch stopped working...then this...they do say things come in threes... ;)

just in case you were stilll interested ...

http://www.highway.net.au/arcade_parts/machine_parts.html

except they have listed it as a "Petentiometer (Dual) 50 ohm"

:D

I have a faulty 50 ohm double gang pot that was controlling the volume in my cabinet.

I've been looking everywhere to see where I could get a replacement but the least impedance I've been able to locate is 10k. Does anyone know where I can get these?

Worst case is I use the 10k one but have very limited precision for volume...

Thanks for any advice!