Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

PS3 or Xbox 360 ??

Okay a couple of months ago our TV was taken out in a power surge during a storm.

So we have been running a smaller one in the loungeroom.

About 2 weeks ago we saw a decent sized TV and have layby'ed it and will pay it off in the next few weeks.

Yesterday the director of finance said that a PS3 would be a great addition to the loungeroom with our new TV.

So after I got up off the floor from fainting, I started thinking with a decent TV what would be the best console to get? Graphics and gameplay what is out there for each system and what is the better of the 2?

I know this will be a bit of a controversy, its like asking what car do you prefer, Ford or Holden. But what are peoples thoughts? I havent a clue to what is available with either platform as I never thought we would even consider buying either.

Help ! :D

This is a strange generation of console because they are nearly converging. About 90% of titles are cross platform, and generally indistinguishable on either. So you sorta gotta look at which exclusive franchises excite you. Some of the biggest:

XBOX:

Gears of War Series

Mass Effect Series

Halo Series

Forza Series

etc. etc.

PS3:

Metal Gear 4

Drake's Series

Little Big Planet

Killzone Series

Gran Turismo Series

That's just to name a few of the high profile ones. But with near identical controllers, near identical bulk of games catalogue, to me it really comes down to the selection of exclusive games...

• Administrators

Honestly I'd prefer an XBox 360 for gaming but it will depend on what your plans are.

PS3 whilst more expensive....a LOT more also doubles as a Bluray player :unsure

Brad

If you asked me this question last week i would have said get the xbox 360 but after getting the 3rrod for a second time im going to say get the PS3 yes the xbox is modable but the playstation plays games from any region so picking up games from overseas is half the price they are here.

Also as Brad stated the PS3 also doubles as a Bluray player.

360 has the better exclusive titles and is cheaper, but is also more likely to break. In 2 or so years of owning one I've had 2 RRODs. You get a three year guarantee though and the method of sending your 360 in for repair is pretty painless so it's not as bad as everyone makes out, honestly.

On the cheapness thing, I still can't get the image out of my head of a 15 year old trying to buy a PS3 at an EB I went to and failing because the price went over his withdrawal limit on his debit card, hahahaha...

And as said above, Xbox Live is brilliant, very well executed.

Lock in Xbox

The 360 has Live, which is the supreme online gaming experience (Not sure if hte PS3 has a browser..if it does, that's damn good) Better exclusive titles (for me...Man I love Forza2..and 3 is out soonish)

PS3 has the Blueray...and if that's a bonus for you, then that will tip it for ya, but the price is staggering.

To be honest, the next gaming console I get will be the one that allows me to rock it up with a Keyboard and Mouse...I just CAN NOT use those controllers for FPS's, call it me being old and dumb.

• Administrators
To be honest, the next gaming console I get will be the one that allows me to rock it up with a Keyboard and Mouse...I just CAN NOT use those controllers for FPS's, call it me being old and dumb.

Damn straight! We've discussed this before. Any Mouse Keyboard combo would hand a console player an arsewhooping.

The DC had a mouse and keyboard as peripherals.

Brad

You can buy a 3rd party peripheral that will hook up KB+M for an original Xbox and another for the 360...I had the Original Xbox one, and it ripped shit up, nothing bu headshots !!!

Apparently the one for the 360 is lacking...does not use mouse acceleration and can be twitchy when not dialed in properly - At $100+postage, I'm not willing to take the chance.

XBOX 360

Usually cheaper games (~$10)

Console is alot cheaper

Free extra game if you know a Xbox Street Team member (i think they stopped this though)

PS3

Free Online play

Blu-Ray player

I would just grab a 360 and buy a shitload of games.

• Administrators
Anyone thinking of getting a ps3 as a bluray player should think again. Look around on Google and you will see just how many ps3's are failing, and just out of warranty too. Now im not saying that the 360 is better, as we all know that it suffers from E74 and the 3RRoD, but at least MS cover them under a 3 year warranty. Sony so far give 12 months warranty, and if its a day out, then bad luck, pay the $365.00 repair fee or go away. Im not saying one is better than the other, its really personal preference.

Now is a good time to buy as most of the large department stores are having, or soon will have, their July Toy Sales.

At Big W, you can pickup a Xbox 360 Go Pro Bundle, which is the box, 60G HD with Halo3 and Gears of War2 inside for $428 or the Arcade version for $248 with no HD but with two games.

The PS3 though is still the same price :(

Which ever system you go for, now is the time to pick up games on the cheap. Though the 360 does seem to have the better deals.

For meself, I'll go 360; better range of games, lots of great games at a lower price point. Xbox live multiplayer is unmatched plus have friends that use it. Blueray is no biggie for me as I watch divx movies and the quality is mostly ..meh.

Now is a good time to buy as most of the large department stores are having, or soon will have, their July Toy Sales.

At Big W, you can pickup a Xbox 360 Go Pro Bundle, which is the box, 60G HD with Halo3 and Gears of War2 inside for $428 or the Arcade version for $248 with no HD but with two games.

Whats the difference between that Go Pro bundle and the Arcade version, other than the HDD and games?

Can one add their own (larger) hdd without modding it? 60gb seems pretty pissy for an extra $180 (yes yes + 2 games).

To be honest its the exclusive titles that have held me back from buying either. I lean towards x360 for the price, but I'm a big fan of Ratchet & Clank, Metal Gear Solid, and a couple of other Playstation titles that escape me right now.

Here are the comparisons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Comparison_of_features

You can update the larger HDD's, it just has to be the same brand/type and either be 20Gb, 60Gb or 120Gb. ie A Western Digital Scorpio WD1200BEVS 120 GB SATA hard drive

I bought a 120Gb from Gamedude for $75 and using PC with SATA formatted it for use with the Xbox. Basically replaced my 20Gb. You'll still need the plastic case/housing ie a cheap 20Gb 360 drive

If I was buying new, I'd probably still go with the pro bundle.

I'll be upgrading soon to get one with HDMI and newer (more reliable model) so will be buying an arcade 'cause I don't need the accessories.

I have a 360 and have experienced the RRoD once (owned the 360 since early 2007).

Personally I like the game play and the online features of the 360, with exclusives such as the Halo series being great to play on Xbox Live. But the main thing it comes down to is what your main interest is for the console...

Online Gaming, Multiplayer (and LAN) gaming and occasional DVD viewing would lead me to the 360. There are some drawbacks to both consoles, but for me and the 360 the main issue is paying for Xbox Live and the region lock on games.

If you are looking more for an entertainment unit (Blu-Ray/DVD player) then a games console then the PS3 would be your best buy. The way I look at it, the PS3 has been developed as an entertainment unit with the ability to play games, rather than a dedicated games console.

Again, I only own an Xbox 360 so my opinion is slightly biased, but those are my thoughts....

Anyone thinking of getting a ps3 as a bluray player should think again.

You beat me to the punch Cwispy. Use a gaming console to play games.

Want to watch movies? Get a cheap player instead, and save your much more expensive console for the games.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah while a large amount does come down to personal preference I'd usually recommend a 360 and I'm a (perhaps former) Sony fanboy.

Assuming you want it for games, if you're open to modding hands down 360. I love my modded 360 to death.

So far (and seemingly in the future) the great games are mainly cross platform this generation, MGS4 being the only exclusive for ps3 that has interested me but a 360 MGS has already been announced so it's no longer really an exclusive franchise, Final Fantasy 13 is being released on both, devil may cry was released on both...barely any sony exclusives that were awesome back in the day are still exclusives while there's still some pretty solid 360 exclusives...while I'm not hugely into gears of war, #2 was very fun in co-op and halo 3 is pretty darn good for a console FPS.

Another thing is that the RRoD problem was very very terrible, but the majority of people who have had that issue have the first few versions of the 360, before they changed the cooling and chipset etc. if you're keen on buying a 360 you should do a bit of research on what current batch numbers are good and ask the person you buy it from to let you see it before you purchase.

The media center features for 360 are very acceptable if you want to share stuff from a computer that is networked to the 360 to watch on your tv but I've heard the PS3's is better though I've only used it a little bit myself so I can't really comment.

So unless you're itchin' for gran turismo 5 (I believe polyphony is completely owned by Sony so that game is staying a ps3 exclusive) or really want the (from what i've heard, mediocre) blu-ray player, I'd recommend a 360 though your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

P.S. I just thought about this added tidbit,

If you're planning to make an arcade style joystick for your console (and let's face it, this is the aussie arcade forums =D) you may want to consider how you'd be interfacing with the console...with ps3 you can use Toodles' (From shoryuken.com forums) Cthulu board which is cheap, works on PC as well as PS3, has a much nicer footprint for mounting it in the stick's case and is damn easy. Though if you're a solid solderer pad hacking a 360 controller isn't hard either.

ive had my 360 for over 3 years no rrod yet:laugh:,xbox live is the best for online,

my ps3 is/was 3months old and gone back to sony,piss funny taking that back to the store that was saying how much better ps3 is than xbox :lol,i asked how there ps3 was,... well....... there are on there second machine now too :p