Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dez's Weekly Tricks of the Trade

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cmon Dez im waiting for more tips :)

Ok, will do

I was waiting for a request, so you got it :rolleyes

I will put something together soon regarding building quality cabs, which might be helpful

:D

Edited by dezbaz
Auto Merged Double Post.

• 4 weeks later...

Quality Building of Cabinets

Ok

Here's my take on this, please feel free to add things I miss - No probs

So far I have built a MAME cab, which was my own design, refurbished another MAME, built a reduced size Pacman upright and built 2 MS Pacman cocktails. I am not yet finished a Lunar Lander Cab

I will go over things which you have to get right, and some things that don't matter so much.

Now the post is how to build quality cabs, so don't expect to knock one out in a weekend until you have made a dozen and are starting to get experience :D Even then most blokes will tell you it takes ages to build a cab, even longer to build it properly.

1. Things that matter (Must be right)

• The base must have right angle corners, all other panels come from this so get it right
  • On my first MS pacman cocktail cab, me and Daics put it together and found my T square was actually about 89 degrees, not 90. The base was therefore incorrect and everything else followed, there was a twist in every step, small shaves had to be taken off here and there to compensate. Lost lots of time.
  • The 2 sides must be identical to each other.
  • All fixed front, rear and top panels must be the same width as each other
  • The LHS monitor brackets need to be the same angle and distance as the RHS equivalent, as do all 19 x 19mm corner braces. I use 19 x 19 as it can be glued, and screwed, and it can be clamped prior to screwing, to make sure it doesn't move until dry, and it is in the right spot. Some people use the perforated angle brackets bunnings sell. They are fine provided you use lots of needle point 12mm screws.

2. Things that don't matter so much

• No doubt opinions may differ here - that's fine.
  • Examples - people wont notice these things probably
  • Gaps can be filled if you make a mistake, car bog is great for this, some people use PVA Glue and sawdust to fill gaps.
  • On my pacman upright, the top was put on square, but the panel under the marquee was 2mm lower on the left - OOPS. But no one ever noticed, I just cut the marquee perspex to suit. LOL :redface
  • I have used wood putty, even plaster depending where it is. Wood putty, and car bog may show under artwork after a year or two so be aware where it's going
    Usually if it is pleasing to the eye it will be fine, but for best results use a 90 degree T Square prior to screwing in the screws

More soon including pics

Please add your 2c :)

I got caught out with the square myself so I'll add be careful changing tools mid build :lol I had cut most of the cab out, made the pine stand etc, then my brother told me I could have his tools that he no longer used. I grabbed the square and started to check things over and everything seemed way out of whack, I was going nuts cause I had been really taking my time until I realised it was the square that wasn't square (2 parts and had shifted).

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the effort you put into your guides Dez - I noticed you joined the OCAU forums recently too.

Could I respectfully request the following guides:

Designing your own custom cab

Hinges technique

Alternate Feet for cabs

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

...and Angled cutting of timber would also be great!

:)

Thanks for the effort you put into your guides Dez - I noticed you joined the OCAU forums recently too.

Could I respectfully request the following guides:

Designing your own custom cab

Hinges technique

Alternate Feet for cabs

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

...and Angled cutting of timber would also be great!

:)

Hi Maz :)

Sure, no probs :)

Any preference which one first mate?

some kind of locking device on the inside of the door so your toddlers cant open the door and start ripping out wiring is highly recommended:cool:

:lol

After the amount of time and work I have put in to rewiring my cab I can't imagine what I'd do if that happened. The kid would regret it, thats for sure.

Hi Maz :)

Sure, no probs :)

Any preference which one first mate?

All of them?!? :laugh:

I'm probably going to need the Angled cutting of timber first (I'm planning a Surface Tension rip off made out of Eucalypt).

Followed by Hinges technique.

Cheers!!

• 8 months later...

Regarding the cutting a base or angle square, it is possible to use an out-of-square square to get a perfect angle. This only works with a square that can be flipped over. Many T-squares are no good for this reason.

1. Draw your line using the set square.

2. Flip the square over.

3. On the same face and edge, draw another line starting from the same point where you draw the first one.

If your two lines are not perfectly true with one another you'll have ended up with two unparallel lines stemming from a point, like a very long isosceles triangle with a very short base.

4. Where this 'triangle's base' should be, disect the line

5. Draw a line from the point where the lines meet to the point of the disected 'triangle'.

Voila! If you did it carefully, you'll have a perfect 90? corner. This relies on a very straight edge to start with though so be sure of this first. Whenever I'm doing panel work I always make sure I have one corner perfecly square on a sheet and make all cuts and lines referencing these two edges. To identify this corner I draw a little square on it denoting it's a right angle. Provided your panel saw is square, you can be confident all other cuts will be square after this.

The above technique also works for spirit levels that are out of square.

Edited by TheWiggman
Added extra stuff

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

what, no sideart on the kitchen cabinets ?

no pcb/lcd upgrades for the fridgecade ?

what about the microwave benchtop with added joystick ?

give me something , anything, please! :cry

- - - Updated - - -

corr! that gives me a great idea for the ultimate kitchen!

forget the wall mount oven with integrated grill, make it a 24" 4:3 lcd screen behin=d the oven door glass, with a drop down CP attached to the grill door!