Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Data East Power Supply C2 cap

Been recently working on some Data East machines and have come across what seems to be a common problem.

I have found the cap at C2 a 100uf 25v to be leaking, in the past few weeks I have now repaired 4 powers supplies all with leaking caps at C2. A friend checked his machines after experiencing problems and found the same problem on his two machines.

The problem is you can only see the leaking after you remove the cap.

I am assuming that this would apply to early Sega machines as well.

What are the symptoms that caused you to look at replacing the cap?

Any pics of the leaking?

I have got a JP and Frankenstein and would like to address the problem before it starts

I am assuming that this would apply to early Sega machines as well.

What are the symptoms that caused you to look at replacing the cap?

Any pics of the leaking?

I have got a JP and Frankenstein and would like to address the problem before it starts

Yes I would imagine that it would include the Sega games as well.

First machine wouldn't bootup reliably.

Second machine the sound board kept rebooting.

Third had no 5V.

I now check the C2 on every machine I repair.

The first 2 power supplies had corrosion from where the cap had leaked.

Sorry didn't think at the time to take pics.

Should also be noted that these were all DMD games.

Thanks for the info, may go and hunt down some replacement caps and do both my machines. Can these particular caps be sourced easily at somewhere like Jaycar?

I've got a couple of spares but they are 15000uF 25V unfortunately.

Been recently working on some Data East machines and have come across what seems to be a common problem.

I have found the cap at C2 a 100uf 25v to be leaking, in the past few weeks I have now repaired 4 powers supplies all with leaking caps at C2. A friend checked his machines after experiencing problems and found the same problem on his two machines.

The problem is you can only see the leaking after you remove the cap.

I would also replace C7 (330uf cap from memory), I have had a heap of Data East pins come in the last couple of months for repair and more to come.

I pretty much replace these as soon as they come in.

Thanks for the info, may go and hunt down some replacement caps and do both my machines. Can these particular caps be sourced easily at somewhere like Jaycar?

I've got a couple of spares but they are 15000uF 25V unfortunately.

Jaycar do stock the smaller caps

Change all the caps and fuse holders on the power supply board.

I'm getting in 3 a week now with power supply problems caused by leaking caps corroding tracks and these bloody crappy fuse holders, everytime you check a fuse, you can feel one lose its tension and snap off.

All these games are now around 16 years old. This sort of stuff happens with electronics.

I've tried changing one of those fuse holders before and although it had snapped, it just didn't want to let go of the board and it started peeling the green layer off the board. I got scared after that and abandoned any more repairs on that board.

End result was a pretty ordinary looking solder on the fuse holder to cover up the tear in the green layer.

Sounds like just another job to add to the never ending list of little niggly repairs to take care of. :rolleyes

These power supply boards always seem to give you grief

They are not a very expensive board only about $100 au and sometimes are

just easier to replace

At least it give you peace of mind specially if you are on selling

These power supply boards always seem to give you grief

They are not a very expensive board only about $100 au and sometimes are

just easier to replace

At least it give you peace of mind specially if you are on selling

Is there anyone in Aus selling them at that price? I am looking at peace of mind for myself knowing the machine will work when I want it to.

• 1 year later...
I would also replace C7 (330uf cap from memory), I have had a heap of Data East pins come in the last couple of months for repair and more to come.

I pretty much replace these as soon as they come in.

Jaycar do stock the smaller caps

I wouldnt use Jaycar 105 deg caps (Suntan brand ) if they were free .They dont like the heat in power supplies . The local store near by has admitted there's issues with them .Their low ESR caps seem ok . I buy else where now anyway.

• 10 months later...
I have bought them from rottendog for $75us before but i just checked his site and he seems to be out of stock

Give wayne a try as i think he is a distributor or at least stocks rottendog boards

Be cautious of the Rottendog power supply boards. A component used as part of the high voltage section to power the DMD is run way over spec. I spoke with Jim at Rottendog about this and he told me it was an Australian problem. I don't agree with that. According to one of his distributors in the USA, it was a known fault and was being fixed.

• 1 month later...

removing fuse clips

1 break off both side so only the base is left

2 with sharp cutters . cut as close as possible on the solder sider . so its flat

3 apply very hot soldering iron with solder to flat part on component side. While board is component side down

they should just fall out

• 4 years later...
Has anyone found that driver transistors ,coils etc are damaged when C2 fails and causes the 5 v to go low. I have fixed the C2 PSU fault several times but always found other faults as solenoids fired and locked on causing other damage .I find Data east boards always have multiple faults which started out as something simple in the first place

• 7 months later...

C2 is a dubious use of a polarized cap

C2 is used as an AC pass transistor to generate a supply voltage for the MC1723 voltage regulator IC. It seems to me this cap is going to be reverse biased at the peak of every AC cycle. True, the RMS voltage across it is positive in the right direction, but is this really a good idea? A non-polar cap for C2 would be a much safer choice. Note: I'm repairing a power supply board with a bad C2 and just googled it and got here.

Data East Power Supply C2 cap

I operated only data East for years.

One thing I found was 90% of problems were the POwer supply.

As said before, change all caps. Forget if Jaycar have them , order the correct parts from anywhere that has them.

Fuse clips are cheap enough from Jaycar and will need changing, not only on PS.

Another thing that had me stumped for a while was when every now and then, coils would fire for no reason eventually frying the flipper board.

Ended up being a diode starting to fail.

Was changing the DC voltage temporarily back to AC voltage and back to DC.

Diodes are also cheap at Jaycar.

Whenever I've had a DE problem, fix the PS and all is ok.

PS

I still have a brand new Rottendog PS here.

Was in for a week before I pulled it. DMD started to fail.

Changed back to the repaired PS and was good forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrators

Burt connectors are another common fault and even after fixing the connectors will start burning again. Best solution is to use LED's throughout the machine.

You have to remember that DE's are basically expanded System 11's. I find once all the fuse clips have been replaced the PSU rebuilt and burnt connectors fixed they are extremely reliable.