Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Console Screen (TV - UHF)

• Super Moderator

Hey,

Just thinking about what screen to use to play old console games through (Spectra Vision / Coleco etc through UHF) and abviously newer games through AV (no problem there)

In the past I've tried to connect to a plasma and tune in via the TV tuner with pretty ordinary results, crap picture and woeful sound.. Is this an inherent problem or is it a matter of me being a console noob..?

I have an 32" LCD screen with tuner that I could setup, or an 80cm CRT - don't really want to use the CRT cause its so damn big..

Any suggestions as to how to get a decent picture on the LCD..?

Cheers 'aye.

One thing I have found is that ever since digital TV came in I am getting poor results with using consoles via UHF. I have tried different TVs, different rf switches, and just cant tune them well enough. I would like to know if anyone has had similar issues?

Sorry Woka if this is hi-jacking the thread. Maybe look into converting UHF signal to AV? White and Nerdy Dav?

Hey,

Just thinking about what screen to use to play old console games through (Spectra Vision / Coleco etc through UHF) and abviously newer games through AV (no problem there)

In the past I've tried to connect to a plasma and tune in via the TV tuner with pretty ordinary results, crap picture and woeful sound.. Is this an inherent problem or is it a matter of me being a console noob..?

I have an 32" LCD screen with tuner that I could setup, or an 80cm CRT - don't really want to use the CRT cause its so damn big..

Any suggestions as to how to get a decent picture on the LCD..?

Cheers 'aye.

It is an inherent problem - keep in mind these games were to be played on what was the "family TV" when they came out - probably only a 34cm tv. Blow up any image that looked "ok" on a small tv, and it will usually look terrible!

The cheapness of the little RF Modulators, combined with now-aged components and the fact that DVB-T (digital TV) appears to be stomping over the common channel 0/1 that these connect to the TV with, all run against the chance of getting a quality RF signal into your TV.

Another reason is that older games units were not exactly 100% on-spec for the tv signals, but the characteristics and tolerances of older TVs were able to cope and even perform a kind of analog "filter" and get an OK picture from it. Newer TVs are much more picky, and will try to "correct" the video signal which can very often make a meal of it.

Your best bet is to figure out how to pull the lumimance and chrominance signals before they get to the RF modulator inside the games unit, and use that to feed the s-video input of your TV. Not original I know, but the best chance at getting "as close as designed" video quality from the units.

Cheers

Jacob

One thing I have found is that ever since digital TV came in I am getting poor results with using consoles via UHF. I have tried different TVs, different rf switches, and just cant tune them well enough. I would like to know if anyone has had similar issues?

Sorry Woka if this is hi-jacking the thread. Maybe look into converting UHF signal to AV? White and Nerdy Dav?

With digital tv - yes, and it has also impacted folks who connect their vcrs to tvs with an rf cable.

With regards to UHF to AV - it adds another layer of noise - the modulator in the games units converts the AV to RF, then you end up converting it back outside the games unit.

As I mentioned, the best way is to tap off the AV before the RF unit in the device - but it does require modding, hacking and other "not mint" nastiness...

Cheers

Jacob

With digital tv - yes, and it has also impacted folks who connect their vcrs to tvs with an rf cable.

With regards to UHF to AV - it adds another layer of noise - the modulator in the games units converts the AV to RF, then you end up converting it back outside the games unit.

As I mentioned, the best way is to tap off the AV before the RF unit in the device - but it does require modding, hacking and other "not mint" nastiness...

Cheers

Jacob

well thanks for confirming my suspicions, sux we cant enjoy old consoles like we used to