Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dick Smith / Silicon Chip PC Driven Eprom Programmer

MadMikeAU

Question

OK, I got one of these kits from DSE a while back. Put it together and...it sat on my desk for ages :P

Anyway, I recently tried using it. Had to revert back to Win2000 to get access to the parallel port. tried to dump a ROM, but could only get about 100 bytes at a time. Changing the start address helped. Seems that I had to cycle the relays.

Write my own dumper software to do this automatically and its kinda unreliable for a few bytes after each cycle.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

11 answers to this question

dark wire essentially sell willem clones I thought?

sorry to hijack post Mike - I have no idea about the DSE programmers - check the silion chip website -they often put updated driver sfor kits - or maybe email them directly?

Nah. Tis a hardware thing. Maybe a cold solder somewhere. Luckily they give you extensive schematics. So I will spend sometime tonight looking at it.

Looking at the Willim programmer, it seems they are still using the parallel port and only use the usb port for power (they still require a power pack for stuff over 5V). So, maybe I will concern myself with fixing this one up. Its always better to have something built with your own hands :)

OK, a few fixed solders here and a couple changes to the BIOS there, and I have it dumping a masked rom. The first 2 bytes are dodgy but the rest is good. But it still wont read the d27256.

WTF? It reads a 27c256 but not a d27256 ? WTF x 69

Anyways, I have convinced the missus of an upgrade. Now I just need to convince myself.

YES! My Willem programmer arrived today. I boot up Win2000 :rolleyes and check it out. It reads both the 27C256 and the D27256 no worries at all.

I think this is the start of a long friendship. :D

------------------------

The MegaTech ROM I dump is very different to the one in the MAME set. Interesting.

The MegaTech ROM I dump is very different to the one in the MAME set. Interesting.

Submit the romset and all you can about it to, (ie: Can you make sure that the filenames are in the form .? That is, the exact text from the ROM label, followed by a period, followed by the PCB location (either an IC number or a C7-like designation?):

submit -at- mamedev -dot- org