Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb Solar Ride - Help please

rads

Question

Hi all,

I got my first pin a gottlieb Solar ride so I could learn some of the very basics of how they work. My experiments, at the lower end of the scale which is where they will remain, went well until I replaced a pop-bumper switch that was broken. In my wisdom, I soldered the wires back in the incorrect spots and turned the machine on. It appeared to turn on fine but now wont start. I put the switch in the way it should be and still no joy. I am pretty confident the slam switch is not the problem as it turns on the way it should.

Any ideas on what my L plates and I may have done?

was it a normally open switch or a normally closed switch?

if it was normally open and you didn't actually clsoe it no current would have passed so it possibly wouldn't have shorted.

If you did close the switch you may have fried something - possibly a coil

take a photo - this will help (us, not the problem)

It is a normally open switch. The pop bumper coil works when I activate the game over relay and close the bumper switch. I don't think there would be much to see from a photo other than that i should not be allowed near a soldering iron.

I normally would but thought that I could just work off the other bumpers and their connections. I could of if i hadn't forgot I unscrewed the switch and it was now upside down!

ok

go through what happens now when you turn on the game

that will assist

you might not have botched anything and it may be something more essential (like the need to do power supply mods)

When I turn it on it goes through the exact same setup as it did before I killed it. I press the start button on the front door and nothing happens. I have checked the button and it works. Unfortunately I don't have a clue as to where to check next.

Is this the solid state or the electro mechanical version? Posibly the only Pinball that came out in both!

Silly question but you do have it set for free play or credits added so it can start a game.

Michael

if it is SS try here for info http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm

if em try here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

It is the ss version. I checked the fuses when I got home from work and found 7 in the bottom of the cabinet and 1 under the playfield. All work. It shows credits when it has powered up. Edited by rads

First thing to acertain is if the CPU is booting correctly.

1. When you first turn the machine on do the displays come on straight away or is there a five second delay and then they turn on?

2. After you have turned it on does it cycle from showing the last score to high score, i.e does the high score light on the backbox come off and on?

It boots correctly. It waits the five seconds then alternates bewteen the games score and the high score.

Thats great.

And you are sure there are credits up?

Try adding more credits and see if they go up?

If they do check the contact on the start button is making?

With the machine off unplug the small connector at the bottom of the MPU board A1 J6 from memory and plug it back in this is the wiring from the coin door maybe its not making contact on the MPU board.

Does it do anything when you press start? i.e does the player 1 display change to zero or nothing at all?

Then report back.

Cheers

Hi Dean,

It will add credits and make the right sound when it does. I took the connector off and gave it a dust off and still no difference. The credit button sends power through when it is engaged but literally nothing changes from when it is powered up.

Thanks again for your help Dean.

If anyone else has any other ideas that don't involve me bending over or needing/using a lube please let me know.

Ian