State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    Vatican
    Quote Originally Posted by theshagking View Post
    My appologies to everyone if I came across demanding anything. I had spent some time already trawling to get it working again. It is old but was hoping to keep it all the same. I will redo it and make it better, was hoping that someone may have had some knowledge as to what was being used.
    Once again if I offended I am very sorry. Cheers
    I don't think anyone was "offended" - just trying to explain that you will really be wasting your time trying to fix this when it was always, at best, a copy of a copy anyway.

A multi-in-1 for $100 will do the same job (or better) and you will be up and running in minutes.

State
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1434 Post(s)
    Australia
    I'll just add that CF Cards are notoriously unreliable and flakey. You will be doing yourself a massive favour by replacing the unit in there with something infinitely more reliable.

Brad

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    I'm 99.99% certain that this is one of RetroGame's cabinets, as I'm not aware of anyone else ever doing a PC based cocktail cab using a CF Card.

To be fair, at the time his setup was the duck's guts and although there may be more reliable and economical solutions available now, there certainly wasn't back then!!! He used very specific PCs that had onboard sound that required no drivers, which meant he was able to use an extremely stripped out OS and run the GameLauncher frontend. The whole thing was actually quite ingenious.

His main reasoning for using a CF Card instead of an old HDD was, that should problems ever occur, it would be a simple matter of posting out a replacement CF Card with instructions on how to swap them over, then the customer would be back up and running with a minimum of fuss. The only thing they'd lose is their high scores.

I sold a few of his cabs, but not the later ones with the CF Card as he did those pretty much exclusively for what was Child Amusements (now Pinball Spare Parts Australia) who sold heaps of them!

To the OP, I'm happy to track down Iain (RetroGame) and see whether we can get an image file for you. That way you could drop it onto an old IDE HDD, or maybe even get a replacement CF Card from him, to get you back up and running. It's all well and good to suggest that you swap over the "something more reliable", which is being translated here as a non-PC based solution, however there is likely to be a fair amount of cost and re-work involved in that to convert it over to something that may not necessarily be that much better.

Let me know if you'd like me to contact Iain for you.

Cheers, Chris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information