Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New Old Oscilloscope

Womble

Question

Finally got my scope out of the cupboard and up and running on the weekend, but I know sweet FA about them in general. I bought it as an inpulse buy about a year ago, partially based on the "the more MHz the better" rule, and partially coz the seller was in the small town I had a bucks night out in the week following the auction, so no interstate postage to pay for. Mainly I jumped at it as it was a Dual Channel 100Mhz scope going for a less than a new Single Channel 20Mhz one.

There is a guy on Ebay selling the exact same one as mine, tho he is dreaming a bit on the price, I think I got mine for $230, plus $15 for a couple of yumcha probes.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Philips-PM3267-100MHz-2ch-Oscilloscope-Risetime-3-5ns_W0QQitemZ370169783722QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment?hash=item370169783722&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

The mains cable had been bodged into it, and it had no earth, which considering the vast expanse of metal casing seemed dodgy, so I had to refit a decent mains lead and put the earth connection back as the schematic showed it.

It's also missing its nose cover, trying to track one down but I dont rate my chances.

It works well for the limited stuff I have used it for so far, but is it a good one in general?

6 answers to this question

People cut off the earth pin or wire so that they can use the scope on "live" tv chassis without an isolation transformer..

Nice scope indeed.. but I think you should sell it/give it to me and go and buy a 10mhz DSE unit :)

Hoops

What he said, incredibly dangerous practice.

This is probably better

http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/softgnd.htm

I'd go with an isolation xformer, no point getting killed by something I'm restoring.

I have a 20Mhz Kenwood myself, an old unit, getting the service manual should net you the instructions to calibrate the O'scope.

Excellent score!

Wouldn't mind a digital that gives instant voltage/freq readings.

Counting and reciprocating the timebase readings can be inaccurate and a pain.

I have a Tektronics 564 B with interchangable time base and i/p modules, top of the line in its day, bit slow now.

Thanks for the link Li_gangyi, makes life easier.

Another way of getting past the earth problem is using a dual trace CRO and connect one probe to chassis ground (no earth clips) to use as the ground reference then use the ADD function.

Excellent score!

Wouldn't mind a digital that gives instant voltage/freq readings.

It would be good, but mine seems pretty well calibrated, when it comes to TTL stuff I am really only interested in whether the output pattern is clean. However I have found chips that clearly work have very very messy looking output, not sure whats going on there.

Freq readings would be cool, but again as long as the clock signal looks cleanish and nice and regular I am happy to assume its ok.

The trouble with any of this gear is that if its still current grade hardware you often have to pay professional prices for the gear. My CRO is clearly an beast from the late 80s/early 90s and was pretty cheap. One of these days I will run out of boards I want to fix so I try not to spend too much on tools.

However I have found chips that clearly work have very very messy looking output, not sure whats going on there.

Multiplexing more then likely, could be at a higher frequency then the scope can display