Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For new people : Repairing PCBs yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thumbs up For new people : Repairing PCBs yourself

Hello,

Just wanted to add a sticky note to this section, I`m not having a go at anyone, But i think this needs to be said espicaly for new people thinking about buying cheap boards that don`t work and want to repair them.

Generally arcade boards arn`t cheap to repair!!!

If you buy a non-working board from e-bay for $30.. You may have to spend that again just getting it to work or even trying to diagnose it.. And i`m not including the hours of time this might take!

Unless you have a stash of old boards you can grab parts off, Parts will have to be bought new, Sometimes they can only be sourced from the US. This can get expensive and time consuming as you can see.

I`m not putting anyone off ... I have helped new people get into it and still help new people... But i think it`s a common misconception that they are easy and cheap to fix.

Can an admin make this sticky as i don`t think i have permissions to do it.

Thanks,

Mrv.

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2026 Post(s)
    Yeah I'll sticky the thread tonight. I been meaning to add a new section here called repair logs ill sticky it there.

I agree with you 200%, I'm pretty reluctant to repair peoples boards because of the time involved, That's why like I've told a few fellahs on the board I just prefer doing my own boards because there's no pressure and if something pisses me off I can put that board to one side and come back to it another day/month/year. I have a lot of success putting a board to one side, fix another in turn gives you fresh ideas on a previous board.
    Sometimes Ive given up my weekends doing boards repairs for myself and others and I only have a few hours at night during the week to screw around with them .
    Sometimes you get lucky and the fault is obvious but a lot of the times it can take hours and hours to locate the fault specially when your pouring over schematics making sure everything to is connected as it should be and when theres no schematics available you can be in for a long ride.
    My advice is have a working board along side to help repair the faulty one, specially helps fault finding multi layered boards like moon patrol etc

Welp time for work

Burra749 Guest

My 2 bobs worth

Thought I would share my experiences in this hobby.
    I started out buying my first Cabinet etc from JP & my first Pinball from P/well.Mmmm not off too a good start,I hear you say.Both provided hours of fun,trying to get them to work!!!!.I have since collected many boards from ebay with mixed results.I did picked up a few dead boards.I have found it impossible to find anyone prepared to even look at the boards to repair them, even though I am willing to pay well for it, let alone anyone who would perhaps teach you a thing or two about doing repairs yourself.I have had such a frustrating intro into the hobby I have considered getting out of it on many occasions.I think peoples attitudes towards helping others is only driving people away from being involved.
    Finding this website has given me fresh hope though.

State
    Malvern East
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    That i can agreed with that.Finding this site is helping all of us.Even if it is a simple question or a complex question.I have had help from numerous people here.You all know you are.Thanks,i slaute you the backyarder way.I wont list there names or i be typing here for ever.And i have help others.I respect other people views and ideas.All i can say AA members are the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I know what you mean.. When i first got into Jamma stuff (I have been doing electronic for many years before) i got 2 death threats.. Which wasn`t what i realy hoped for...

It's been a steap learing curve.. But if i`m going to do stuff.. i always do it 100%. I don`t mind helping people... As long as the understand i don`t have much time.. and still have that thing called a life. I have a family as well.. and they must come first. Oh and a job too..

Don`t worry Bertty, We will get your board going!!! Don`t give up hope just yet!

I have fixed boards for a few people.. But they understand that if it takes 12 months to fix cos of my limited time.. then thats ok... Even if i can`t fix it.. then thats ok too...

They know I do it for for the enjoyment and love of it.. NOT to make money... Big diffrance there!

Unfortunatly due to my limited time.. i can`t help everyone.. I reckon with the amout of "regulars" we should be able to help everyone :-)

Mrv.

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2026 Post(s)
    Yeah i don't mind looking at stuff so long as people understand I could take weeks or months to look and fix it. Like I said i have limited personal time these days and prefer doing family stuff.
    I try to avoid JAMMA stuff unless its bootleg or not riddled with custom chips that i have no replacements for, also if I find a board has no obvious fault within say 4 or 5 hours then your on your own, I hate working on dead boards its so time consuming....sometimes

I'm no tech I taught myself how to fix boards and clocked well over 60 repaired boards in the short time ive been doing it. i didnt have anything except the will to learn. I used repair logs from the net to get a fell for it.
    Best thing anybody can do is just dive in and have a go, buy yourself some shitty boars to play with.

State
    Planet Express
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    And don't be afraid to ask stupid questions

State
    Sydney, NSW
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof
    And don't be afraid to ask stupid questions
    Yep. For every dumb question there is 400 lurkers here too afraid to post
    ...maybe, but then again "maybe" covers a lot of things, like: maybe Michael Jackson really is LaToya in drag, or maybe if Dorothy clicks her heels 3 times and says "There's no place like home" while she is at home, she would telefrag herself..." - MadMikeAU
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/madmikeau.png
    www.gameinfoonline.com | My VAPS.ORG entry | BFW | The List

http://www.countdown2zero.com/mscd.php?code=beb62

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1978 Post(s)
    If it dosen't power up when plugged in, as far as I'm concerned its broke..! Thats the extent of my fixing ability. I do have a solder iron and a multi meter though..!

W.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woka
    If it dosen't power up when plugged in, as far as I'm concerned its broke..! Thats the extent of my fixing ability. I do have a solder iron and a multi meter though..!

W.

Heheheh Maybe thats a good thing..... Better stick to PCs i reckon .

Mrv.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information