Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

I am an idiot

Womble

Question

Title says it all, am trying to get my bombjack board sound working so I was looking for a 51516 amp chip. While I was in the UK at xmas I found a UK place online selling them for not very much, except I was ordering from memory, and ended up buying M51518 chips not the 6's.

They arrived, I didn't notice my mistake, they are physically identically so I soldered one in. It didnt work, soldered the other one in, it didnt work, took the 51516 off my Armidar board and put it on bombjack and it worked. Put one of my new chips onto my armidar board - no sound. So I thought the chips were both faulty.

It was then I noticed the faint markings on the chip itself and found my error. So have ordered some 51516 chips but my question is....

... anyone have the datasheet for the 51518 amp chip? Even the pinout would be handy, or if you know of an arcade board that uses it I can work backwards from that if the schematics are around.

Mitsubishi say its too old for them to have records of it, google throws up nothing at all. It clearly isnt quite pin for pin compatible with the 51516 as it didnt work, but there was no bang, the chips didnt get overly warm so I am hopefull I havent killed them, without info on the circuit they expect I can even test them tho.

7 answers to this question

Title says it all, am trying to get my bombjack board sound working so I was looking for a 51516 amp chip. While I was in the UK at xmas I found a UK place online selling them for not very much, except I was ordering from memory, and ended up buying M51518 chips not the 6's.

They arrived, I didn't notice my mistake, they are physically identically so I soldered one in. It didnt work, soldered the other one in, it didnt work, took the 51516 off my Armidar board and put it on bombjack and it worked. Put one of my new chips onto my armidar board - no sound. So I thought the chips were both faulty.

It was then I noticed the faint markings on the chip itself and found my error. So have ordered some 51516 chips but my question is....

... anyone have the datasheet for the 51518 amp chip? Even the pinout would be handy, or if you know of an arcade board that uses it I can work backwards from that if the schematics are around.

Mitsubishi say its too old for them to have records of it, google throws up nothing at all. It clearly isnt quite pin for pin compatible with the 51516 as it didnt work, but there was no bang, the chips didnt get overly warm so I am hopefull I havent killed them, without info on the circuit they expect I can even test them tho.

PM me your details and I'll send you a pulled M51516 from one of my scrap boards.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Hi Womble,

The pin configuration for 51518 amp chip is as follows, hope you find the information useful,

Pin------------------------------------Description

1 .................................................. Input

2,3,7,8 ......................................... Ground

5 .................................................. +V

4,6 ............................................... not used

9 .................................................. Output

Let me know how it turns out.

Cheers :D

Edited by Etch71

Hi John

Thanks for the offer, but I have a few on the way from the same supplier, postage to Oz was only a quid more than postage within the UK. I have 2 boards that need new amps, the Armidar amp is not overly healthy either so will replace them both. The amp section on Armidar is very badly laid out unfortunatly, the 4 caps that go with the amp chip are all tightly huddled behind the amp chip, exactly where a heatsink should be. There is acres of space around the amp section, no idea why they crammed it all into a single square inch. May move the passive components to the reverse of the board and install a heatsink.

Thanks for the pinouts Etch, I will hook them up tonight and see if they still live!!

I am more concerned about the amp chip getting stinking hot and frying, surely if the packaging is designed to be bolted to a heatsink then it should be? The bombjack board actually had space for a heatsink but there was none, the area around the dead amp shows signs of roasting.