Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Donkey Kong (King of AA)

State
    Harmony
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    406 Post(s)
    dude...love the reflection....looks like a camera on your head??? is this the "hidden video"

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    I'd like to have a go but my currently loaded version reports as Crazy Kong - what is the rom name for this version you're all playing?

Edit to remove my score pic: I obviously have the Aussie Brown Eye capable version so my current scores don't count.

Cheers
    LT.
    Last edited by MonoJoker; 8th February 2009 at 09:08 AM.

State
    Tasfunkia
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxjardinexx View Post
    dude...love the reflection....looks like a camera on your head??? is this the "hidden video"
    I wondered if someone would pick that up! I was holding the cam, but yes, it does look like its strapped on.

Quote Originally Posted by MonoJoker View Post
    I'd like to have a go but my currently loaded version reports as Crazy Kong - what is the rom name for this version you're all playing?

Edit to remove my score pic: I obviously have the Aussie Brown Eye capable version so my current scores don't count.

Cheers
    LT.
    Its the donkey Kong(US set 1) rom, Its the one i use on MAME, and seems the same as 48 in 1
    Last edited by wingtipvortex; 8th February 2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wingtipvortex View Post
    Its the donkey Kong(US set 1) rom, Its the one i use on MAME, and seems the same as 48 in 1
    OK - I know why I play the other version now - the sound effects on US set 1 are crap

Best I could conjure up in 2 games was 58,000 so I'd assume it's a bit harder than Crazy Kong. And not just for the "Aussie Brown Eye" trick LOL. The fact you don't go through all 4 boards on each level means you get to the more frequent "boing boing" things on the elevator level much earlier. That's the only part I really have trouble with - timing the run along the top girder and up the ladder.

Cheers
    LT.

State
    Launceston, Tas
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)

OK - I know why I play the other version now - the sound effects on US set 1 are crap

Best I could conjure up in 2 games was 58,000 so I'd assume it's a bit harder than Crazy Kong. And not just for the "Aussie Brown Eye" trick LOL. The fact you don't go through all 4 boards on each level means you get to the more frequent "boing boing" things on the elevator level much earlier. That's the only part I really have trouble with - timing the run along the top girder and up the ladder.

Cheers
    LT.
    Your sound problem could be to do with the additional sound sample files Donkey Kong needs. ( I think on newer MAME versions this has been done away with)

With the elevators along the top girder:
    When you are at the top of the ladder which takes you to the girder move slightly to the left so jumpman is facing the boing boing things, just as one is moving over Jumpman run to the top of the elevator and the boing boings will not hit you.
    Face back to towards the ladder leading to the lady and as a boing boing is going over your head run like mad and go straight up the ladder.
    Sounds a bit complex but its not

I'd better go and have a game

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DKong View Post
    Your sound problem could be to do with the additional sound sample files Donkey Kong needs. ( I think on newer MAME versions this has been done away with)

With the elevators along the top girder:
    When you are at the top of the ladder which takes you to the girder move slightly to the left so jumpman is facing the boing boing things, just as one is moving over Jumpman run to the top of the elevator and the boing boings will not hit you.
    Face back to towards the ladder leading to the lady and as a boing boing is going over your head run like mad and go straight up the ladder.
    Sounds a bit complex but its not

I'd better go and have a game
    It's not really a sound problem, all the sounds are there, just different to Crazy Kong that I'm used to.

Thanks for the tip about the boing boings but my problem is when to race to the final ladder when they're coming in pairs (level 4 onwards) - don't the bounce in different spots on this level thus making it important to wait in another spot for the first pair to go past then run like hell up the last ladder?

Cheers
    LT.

State
    Launceston, Tas
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)

Hmm Haven't really played the US set much but just reached level 4 on my last game, the first screen was as per usual(level 4) and then the escalators (pies) screen was next, then it went straight back to the first screen (Barrel rolling girders) WTF is this right I thought the Elevators would be next??
    Shouldn't it go to the elevators then the blue drop DK on his head screen and like that from then on??

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    No, Crazy Kong plays each of the 4 boards in turn like this:

25m - Girders, ladders and barrels
    50m - Pies (trays of flaming erm... oil?) and conveyors - first time round the conveyors are slow and uni-directional
    75m - elevators and boing boings - the elevators go slow and you can actually cut out most of the girder part by jumping from the top of the right hand elevator to one step away from the last ladder
    100m - drop Kong on his head by removing the joins in the girders

Then it repeats although for 50m and 75m the speed of the conveyors and elevators increase.

For Donkey Kong US Set 1 you get the following from above but it skips some of the above so you level up at 50m for Level1, 75m for Level2 and 100m for Level3 onwards and the boards still don't follow the CK pattern.

Anyway it's interesting to try the different version - certainly more challenging than CK - I'll be having a few more cracks tonight

Cheers
    LT.

State
    Tasfunkia
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    Copied this from a DK help site

L1 1-4

L2 1-3-4

L3 1-2-3-4.

L4 1-2-1-3-4

L5 1-2-1-3-1-4

L6 through L21 all remain the same as L5

L22 1 (Kill screen).

dont know why its out of logical sequence, but....

State
    Launceston, Tas
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wingtipvortex View Post
    Copied this from a DK help site

L1 1-4

L2 1-3-4

L3 1-2-3-4.

L4 1-2-1-3-4

L5 1-2-1-3-1-4

L6 through L21 all remain the same as L5

L22 1 (Kill screen).

dont know why its out of logical sequence, but....
    Thanks for that mate,
    maybe the Japanese made it harder for the Seppos so they thought they were dumb, for an easy early 1980 invasion (Jedi mind trick)
    Or the Seppos just wanted to rack more money out the kids playing games so they made it harder either way the US set is by far the hardest.
    My best score so far on the US set 72,500 and can clearly remember getting over 100,000 on Crazy Kong.

I am using the 8-way as well, just have to be precise, I'm sure the beers will put a stop to that

No, Crazy Kong plays each of the 4 boards in turn like this:

25m - Girders, ladders and barrels
    50m - Pies (trays of flaming erm... oil?) and conveyors - first time round the conveyors are slow and uni-directional
    75m - elevators and boing boings - the elevators go slow and you can actually cut out most of the girder part by jumping from the top of the right hand elevator to one step away from the last ladder
    100m - drop Kong on his head by removing the joins in the girders

Then it repeats although for 50m and 75m the speed of the conveyors and elevators increase.

For Donkey Kong US Set 1 you get the following from above but it skips some of the above so you level up at 50m for Level1, 75m for Level2 and 100m for Level3 onwards and the boards still don't follow the CK pattern.

Anyway it's interesting to try the different version - certainly more challenging than CK - I'll be having a few more cracks tonight

Cheers
    LT.
    I know I have a Crazy Kong Cocktail (LAI), which has Donkey Kong Control panel and artwork. I prefer the go through each level and it gets harder each time through but like you said makes it interesting playing the different versions and I think they use the US set in KING of KONG
    Last edited by DKong; 8th February 2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information