Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb Incredible Hulk 1979 - Repair Help

delarge

Question

Hi all,

I own a 1979 Gottlieb Incredible Hulk machine (System 1 board) and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to getting it working again? Please excuse some of my terminology if it is incorrect. The main CPU board had work carried out on it by a friend years ago in the hopes of getting it fixed, but that work didn't seem to do the trick. My guess is that the whole CPU board needs to be replaced, as well as the cable that is connected to it. I have seen a replacement board on ebay and maybe one on an Australian web site, but just checking before I outlay the money to find out that there's more to the problem.

Below are some pictures to get an idea on what I'm dealing with at the moment.

1979 Gottlieb Incredible Hulk Pinball

Thanks,

Adam.

8 answers to this question

Hi Adam, I can see from the photos that the cable is soldered to the board. So you will need to buy a replacement for this. What is the problem with the machine at the moment?

Regards Derek

hey Derek,

So long since I've had the machine on, but from memory it would make a noise, the lights would come on, but nothing would happen when you put coins in. The flippers worked if you pressed a button, but basically you couldn't play a game.

Well, my technician friend (Andre) came and had a look at my Hulk machine. He owns an old machine and knew what he was talking about. I'm going to get him to e-mail me a more technical run-down of what he said and hopefully post it later on.

When you turn the machine on (please excuse my terminology if it's wrong), a ball is spat out, a whirring sound comes from the speaker, and all the solenoids fire and stay on. On further inspection, there's a row of fuses on the inside. There's about two fuses that have no fuses, but just fuse wire wrapped around. The second fuse wire from the right is burning red hot when the machine is powered. Andre is going to help me get the insides working again next Sunday and we'll make trips to the electronics store for any parts we need.

Once the inside of the machine is fixed up, the next step is either fixing the CPU board or getting a replacement. At the moment, a small plug on the bottom is hanging out and will no longer attach to the board due to acid damage. Looks like it needs replacing.

I can't wait for next weekend to come quick enough. Excited to get my machine going again. I think it's been about 14 years since it was last working.

Adam.

Good luck with getting it going - I have fond memories of the Hulk, playing it with my best mate in "Las Vegas" in Brisbane when we skipped uni lectures in the late 80's - good times :-)

Cheers

Simon

I was skipping uni lectures in the late 90's. Thinking things don't change too much! haha.

I found Aussie Arcade to get some help on the Hulk and maybe sniff out a 92 Simpsons Data East pinball...now I find myself going through all the forums and checking out pinball machines on ebay on a daily basis. It's like looking at cheeseburgers when you're hungry.