Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Stellar Wars - Rom updates ???

ToyTech

Question

Hi All,

Just recently acquired an old Williams (1979) "Stellar Wars" machine - super WIDE pinball measuring approx 70cm wide glass top, nice BIG playfield....although some might think it's too slow...

Anyway, i was looking into rom updates, making sure my machine is running as best as it can, but i'm getting some mixed information.

According to most pin-rom sites, my machine should have a Williams Sys-4 MPU board in it, even the manual i have shows a Sys-4 inside.

However, my machine actually has a Sys-6 board in it. (not an 'A/B/C/D" revision etc).

So, can anyone shed any light on whether the roms i get off the net (which state they're for the Sys-4 board) will work on the Sys-6 board?

They both seem to use the same rom names (U14 game, and U17+20 flipper).

I'm no stanger to rom copy/burning etc (part of my job), so i'm sure to try a few things out and easily go back to safe mode with original roms again ;-)

Thanx in advance,

Marty (ToyTech).

17 answers to this question

Thanx Santa, and YEP, that was the Stellar Wars on ebay last week, went for a song at $780aud, can't believe it didn't get up to at least $2k+ for what it is.

Seems to be more sought after now than say 5-10yrs ago.

Marty.

Thanx Santa, and YEP, that was the Stellar Wars on ebay last week, went for a song at $780aud, can't believe it didn't get up to at least $2k+ for what it is.

Marty.

2k stellar wars would be a dealers machine or in exceptionally good nick. You got that one at a decent price, it prob had connector issues going from the description?

went for a song at $780aud, can't believe it didn't get up to at least $2k+ for what it is.

Marty.

Good buying at 780 for sure!. Not to rain on your parade, but the backglass on that game is faded to buggery. Apart from that it looks real nice though :)

Not to bad a deal at all.

I replaced all the globes, found some shorted filament nasties and found a stray wire on the GI wiring that shorts out things too, replaced backup batteries, put correct value fuses in place and she hasn't missed a beat since.

As for the backglass, yep it doesnt have too many reds or yellows in it, it's very dark/blueish/ sunfaded?

What's worse is that the artwork is painted onto a mirror with cutouts for the scores, so i don't know how the hell anyone expect the lamps to shine thru it.

If i stand 6 inches from the backglass, i can just read "game over" and "player 1" etc.

The backing is flat black paint, and i wonder if previous owner(s) have done that to reduce glare of the lamps on the playfield glass ??????

I'm happy to scan it and get a replacement translite made etc...no rush..

Either way, a bargain !!!! :badgrin:cool:

Marty.

get a replacement translite made

If you figure out how to do this well, and affordably, you would quickly achieve hero status!

Good thing about the backglass is that it is not vital to gameplay, so you can work away at getting the machine playable first, and worry about the backglass later.

Cheers

Jacob

Thinking more about my backglass, it's essentailly a mirror with artwork printed on the front side, and the flat black paint on the rear.

I *may* be able to actually remove the black backing, leaving the mirror backing in tact, although there's not a lot of mirror thats visible on the front side anyway, so if the entire mirror backing washed off i wouldn't be too phased by it :p

hehehehe, you want the best of both worlds, "done WELL, AND affordably" it'll be one or the other hehehehe

But then again, everything is affordable, right?

Marty

hehehehe, you want the best of both worlds, "done WELL, AND affordably" it'll be one or the other hehehehe

But then again, everything is affordable, right?

Marty

heh yeah, just depends who you are asking I guess:lol

Cheers

Jacob

• Super Moderator

Not uncommon for Stellar Wars to use sys6 boards they where used in the later half of production and yes you can use the sys4 updated roms in them,there is plenty of info on the net for fixing these,heres a good one for starters

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys37/index1.htm#gen

also if you need some plastics for yours I have a few spares

• Super Moderator
Thanx Gibo for the info, i only just found that site an hour ago, very informative which is a nice change.

Which plastics do you have for Stellar Wars.

Feel free to PM/email me with details/pricing etc.

Marty

From memory, but i will have to confirm this after going for a dig but Im sure I have a complete set and a few bumper caps,I will PM you when I find them also there is a scan of the compass? somewhere too

change you avatar

you dont need a JM Translite anymore GIBO

Ooooh yeah ,after scoring a driver board at the start of the week and know a translite I have no more excuses not to bring Johnny back from the dead

Thanks Mate

Edited by GIBO
Automerged Doublepost

As for the backglass, yep it doesnt have too many reds or yellows in it, it's very dark/blueish/ sunfaded?

What's worse is that the artwork is painted onto a mirror with cutouts for the scores, so i don't know how the hell anyone expect the lamps to shine thru it.

If i stand 6 inches from the backglass, i can just read "game over" and "player 1" etc.

The backing is flat black paint, and i wonder if previous owner(s) have done that to reduce glare of the lamps on the playfield glass ??????

I'm happy to scan it and get a replacement translite made etc...no rush..

Either way, a bargain !!!! :badgrin:cool:

Marty.

Ah. Sounds like someone has hit the back of it with a can of black spray paint because it the ink started flaking away (which is typical)

The back of the glass should look like the below picture. A silver finish and white where the light is meant to shine through.

I wouldn't touch it now. Just leave it be.

As Jacob said, you'd be king of the castle here at AA if you could rustle up a translite :)

http://mirror1.ipdb.org/images/2372/image-12.jpg

Wow, i WISH my backglass looked like that on the rear ;-)

I've just checked it again, and realised the artwork is in fact inside the glass, probably laid down 1st with the mirror backing on top, then the black spray on top of that.

So, any attempt to remove the black maybe remove everything, although the mirror layer process is fairly robust....

The gamble, keep it as-is, or ruin it, decisions decisions, hehehehe :evil

I think it's time to get hold of my translite buddy and churn out a roll of these ;-)

No probs guys, if i get one translite made, i'll get 10 done or more if there's interest. ;-)

On another note, if anyone has an original backglass in non-faded condition, or some decent pics i can colour-match to, please point me there.

Mine isn't too strong in the reds/yellows, and seems to be mainly dark blues and blacks etc.

Soon as i get some better references to work from, the sooner i get translites done ;-)

If i can visit anyone in Melbourne and photograph/colour match from your backglass, that'll be an insane help !!!