Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dos Frontend Cocktail

Hi guys,

about to start building my cocktail cabinet. I am going to use mame for the internals. But I wanted to know if there is a front end that will allow me to easily setup the a mame menu (in dos) to select the roms to play ?

AdvanceMenu also has a DOS port, and can rotate to any orientation (0, 90, 180, 270).

[edit] to rotate, simply press the number "0" on the numeric keypad. Each time you do, the interface rotates 90 degrees.

ill second game launcher let me know what orentation you want the monitor i have files madeup for both orentations

Hi Dave,

Can I trouble ya for a copy of those files?

Thanks

Smit

Fraggal's BOOT CD

It does it all for you

New features to 4.02.F:

- Completely new install interface

- AdvMAME 0.97.0

- Dos Mame 0.100

- ArcadeOS 2.51

- ArcadeVGA support

- Fixed goofy random bugs here and there

- ArcadeOS "UPDATE.BAT" support!

- Several more options for installation.

ok i have the list for vertical games but must have deleated the one for horisontal ones

basicly i found a site that would move the roms from your rom folder to another onedepending on wether you wanted vertical games or horisontal i went an extra step and did the same to all my files in my snap directory after i renamed them in dos from *.png *.zip in c:\mame\snap in a cmd prompt ren *.png *.zip and run the same file i was looking at pinnys page and he has good docco on how to use it look on there then i used the glaunch tools included in this zip to create the menus for glaunch its easy any probs pm me and we can go through it

dave

crap need to be able to post bigger zip oh well if you want the tools to create the glaunch list email me and i will send its only 600 k

Fraggal's BOOT CD no good. I can install it fine but it then locks up when i try any mame rom. I have tried this on a AMD and a P IV system

I will try the other program

Hi graf,

Do yourself a favour and grab a copy of DOS MAME and GameLauncher. Install Windows 98 on your PC and modify the C:\MSDOS.SYS file so it boots to DOS instead of Windows.

Try to get hold of an ISA sound card as they are much easier to use in DOS and the rest is pretty easy.

Go to http://easymamecab.mameworld.net for any help you need on getting the rest of your setup working.

The Fraggal Boot CD may be good (IF you can get it working) but if/when you need to alter your setup you know very little about how it all hangs together, so in my opinion you're better off biting the bullet up front and learning how to do it all "manually" so you're better equipped to modify stuff later on.

Better still, wait for Elvis to read this thread and he will no doubt extoll the virtues of Linux and suggest that you get hold of a copy of Ubuntu and become one of the converted........

Gee I really am imposing my opinion today, aren't I!!??

Cheers,

Chris

Better still, wait for Elvis to read this thread and he will no doubt extoll the virtues of Linux and suggest that you get hold of a copy of Ubuntu and become one of the converted........

Linux is good for the soul! Ubuntu will cleanse your demons! GNU is the source of all true goodness in the world!!!

Wait... what's the question again?

[edit] All joking aside, A full Ubuntu install is way too bloated for a Linux cab. Either go for the "server" release of Ubuntu (ie: the one that nistalls nothing but the kernel, compiler, and a few shell tools), or something more lightweight like Slackware.

Either way, it's not terribly friendly for folks not used to either Linux nor the command line.

If you're a DOS lover, check out FreeDOS:

http://www.freedos.org/

Made by those crazy free software people and released under that hippy GPL license, it's a completely (and legally) free DOS alternative. Compatible with MAME, and including neato features like DMA support, Fat32 support for large partitions, etc, etc.

As Chris mentioned, sound can be a bitch in DOS. ISA cards are the easiest to set up, but seem to be disappearing. You might get lucky and pick one up in the paper or off eBay.

Of course, you could always run Linux which has infinitely better PCI soundcard support than DOS. :p

I would agree dos and game launcher I love it its so easy and chris i have a driver for onboard sound for mobo running via sound if you need

Yes please Dave - always interested in drivers that are known to work!!!

Feel free to email it to me in a ZIP file........

Cheers,

Chris