Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Monday Pinball Questionaire

Ok, my turn, only have a relativly small collection compared to most but hope this is of intrest.

1. Earliest pinball memory?

My earliest pinball memory is from when I was about 5-7 (late 60s early 70s maybe 1969-1971) down at Rosebud and Rye on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. There used to be numerous Pinball Palours along the Nepean Highway in both of these Seaside towns which are very popular during Summer with tourists. I speciffcly remember playing an old Midway 'Flying Turns' machine which had an animated backbox with two racing cars going around a track. Would love to know if anyone has one of these in their collection it was a classic. They also had some machines cant remember exactly which ones but they had horses in the back box that would race as you hit differnt things on the playfield. Another early memory was playing Williams 1971 "Klondike" at the Hume Weir Milk Bar, they had a few pins maybe 4 or 5, but I loved Klondike.

A few years later late 70s early 80s it was the AMF Bowl in Box Hill or Flashback in Bourke Street. Favourites around this time were classics such as Kiss, Strikes & Spares, Evil Knevil, Playboy, Black Night, Gorgar, etc. There was also a place in Swanston St where you walk down a set of stairs (cant remember the name, please let me know if anyone does) where they also had some Zaccaria Machines amoungst the usal Bally & Williams machines.

2. All time favourite pin? Why?

EM- Would be Klondike & Flying Turns. For their time the game play was really advanced given it was all relay logic control. Klondike with the 3 reels at top centre of the playfield much like a poker machine and Flying Turns with the cars -awsome..

Early S/S - Any Bally (Kiss, Playboy, Strikes & Spares), and Stern's Meteor, love the sound and target banks on Meteor.

Late S/S - Fishtales (looks great),

3. Favourite pinball manufacture?

Gottlieb in the early days, pre 1975, you couldnt go past Bally from 1977 to 79 and Williams once they started talking (Gorgar & Black Night etc). 1990s BMW all the way (Bally Midway Williams)

4. Favourite game in your collection? Why?

Rocky - Looks great, good talking piece and rare in this condition.

5. How long have you been collecting?

About 25-28 years now

6. First game and how did you find it?

Gottlieb Playball (1971) it was in the lunch room at my Dads work. Went to work with him one day and it didnt work, spent hours stareing at it and the boss said, I hear your good at fixing electrical things, do you think you can fix this? Sent it home with me to fix and when it came time to giving it back he told me to keep it.

Fucking wrapped I was. Would have been 14 from memory (approx).

7. Do you still have it?

No sold it when my first kid was born to make room for baby. $100 trading post, spewing now.

8. What are you currently working on?

Have a few possibilites for new (old) pins coming up soon so I will keep AA posted, at the moment working through making Rocky more reliable. Recently replaced the Power Supply (thanks RTBB) and will replace the driver board soon and do mods etc.

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?

Where to start, I am greedy you know, current lack of funds sees me in dreamland. But allowing to dream I would love to add Klondike (one just went cheap on eBay spewing I didnt have money, Kiss, Strikes & Spares, Lost in Space and an old woodrail.

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?

Rocky - $700 from a junk shop in country victoria. Displays not working (blowing fuses) had a crook capacitor on Player 3 display. Backglass 10/10, Cabinet 10/10, Playfiled 8-9/10

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!

Too many to mention, Klondike this week on eBay:( Firepower $700 last year, Judge Dread $500:(

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought

None at all. I love all Pins and hate to see any parted out. So have no regrets except for Pinballs I have had that are no longer with me. These include Klondike, Playball, Demolition Man, Roller Disco

13. Describe your collection

Gottlieb - Jumping Jacks, Sinbad, Dragon, Rocky

Stern - Meteor

Data East - Star Trek 25th

Bally - Elvira & Party Monsters

Williams- Fish Tales

Zaccaria - Clown

14. Describe your gamesroom

I have plastered up and carpeted 1/2 of my garage. Also has my BEER fridge and a Plastic Gun from World for Kids that is huge and used to lite up one of the eisles in the Fountain gate store. Has numerous coloured fglobes in it that you push a button and the lights flash etc.

15. Do you have other games other than pinball?

No, not yet but would like an upright Space Invaders.

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

I think that Pinballs will come down dramaticly in price in the next 10-20 years. There are a lot of machines being brought into Australia which is great, however demand will slow as the now 35-55 year olds start dropping off the planet. Most kids and I say most as I know some show an intrest, dont give a damm about Pinball. My kids (3 off) couldnt care less, they have their Nintendo Wii and Xbox etc.

So I think demand will slow and prices will come down. Having said that I am apprecitive of the current supply and spare parts being made for collectors like us its great.

Cheers

Dean:)

Thanks Dean for taking the time and posting...don't know about the rest of you but I read these with a huge smile on my face....enjoy them sooooo much! :)

The Rocky - you nailed a bargain there especially seeing the condition it was in.

So the question now do we have a member who will step up for the next one of these, or do I need to ask? ;)

a fantastic entry

thanks for putting it together Dean.

I finmd it interesting how nostalgia plays a big role in the colleting process. Like Dean I am also in the hunt for the first games I played.

as for the hobby dying, I think it may contract, however there will always be interest - just like how people born in 1985 will still hunt down original Beatles LP's there will be contniued interest from people who find pinballs cool and are willnig t put the time and effort into tracking them down

a great read