Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

17/21 Inch COCKTAIL CABINET PLANS

Hey all, I just thought I'd post these plans for anyone who is interested.

When I first got intrested in MAME in 2006 I found it hard to find any plans for an aussie style LAI/TAITO Cocktail Cab.

After alot of hours searching for easy to understand plans without much success, I decided to measure up a few original cabs and draw my own plans up.

Initially I designed it to suit a 17" IBM monitor rotated but then found that a 21" SUN Microsystems Flatscreen mounted horizontally will squeeze into this design perfectly

Heres the finished results...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61132[/ATTACH]

I have changed the size of the metal used for the legs to 25x50x1.5mm tube, it looks more in proportion to the original tables. End caps can be found at Clark Rubber.

Cutting list for the plans

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61068[/ATTACH]

1473060546_Picture001small.JPG.01da6ff74f5778cd3250ad6e890edd19.JPG

2106387228_Picture002small.JPG.dabc9330519b1a48f9564f97b197e05d.JPG

816565630_Picture004small.JPG.de5c8f11a94c3e6f2ccebb789a96c6fb.JPG

1065464152_Picture003small.JPG.60fbc45f8d0ad575d1f24d1d498da53d.JPG

1459196_783927624956790_1556934952_n.jpg.c8e6d1452abf084ad908487643302107.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

So is that a decased 21" CRT?

What finish is on the cabinet's?

What front end do you have running?

I see you have built a few spares as well.

Also how are the CP's attached?

Cheers, very nice post,

The monitors I have been using are 21" Sun Microsystems Trinitron Flatscreen.

The sun was the only one I could find that was symmetrical top and bottom.

I either paint the cabs black or use a good quality German Adhesive Vinyl for the woodgrain look.

Control panels are screwed in from the inside.

I have been using Game Launcher with TS Gamelauncher Tools to setup lists but I think I'll switch to Mala with GLauncher Menu skin.

The spare cabs are all gone but I am doing another run right now if anyone is interested.

2014945844_Picture041.JPG.aac860bc5196659b8d031aa3ea64c8f4.JPG

Thanks for the quick response.

For those that would like a new cabinet you need to post your location....

I would be interested in lots of details and photos...

Perhaps a dedicated build thread which can be stickied for future generations to admire...

Reason - I'm gonna try and build one of these for the 21" CRT I have in the shed..:D

I've built a few of these cabs and have spent alot of time reseaching suppliers in my local area to keep the costs down on everything. If you don't want to spend the time looking for the best prices then you may have to spend a little more $$.

GLASS: I got a few quotes that varied from $45 to $350. The first mob I tried gave me a piece of glass that was supposed to have 20mm radius curves but they looked more like a 50c piece. Eventually I found Canberra Commercial Windows who could CNC cut the glass, polish and bevel the edges and toughen in a choice of Float (clear) or Grey (tinted) for around $90. It takes them a week to make up.

WOOD: You'll need 19-20mm square batten, 16mm MDF and 6mm MDF. For $70 I had Canberra Board cutting service cut everything for a complete machine in 16mm except for the lid (I already had one cut) If your'e only making one Cabinet then you should look at spending between $50-$100 for the 16 mm, depending if you cut the wood yourself or not. You'll also find that some hardware stores will cut MDF for you for a couple of dollars per cut (the less in your lungs and garage floor the better) then all you have to do is route the Control Panel Sides and cut the Lid. It's an easy solution for the inexperienced woodworker.

$8 for a sheet of 6mm & about the same for a 2M length of 19 or 20mm batten.

Tip: for the control panel sides it is alot easier to make one good template and use it to route out four identical ones.

Same for the lid if you plan to make multiple machines.

LEGS: I use 50mmx25mmx1.5 RHS (Box tube) 2M is enough which I can get supplied in 2x400mm (Vertical) & 2x500mm (horizontal) lengths all for $35.

and 2x300mmx50mmx3mm lengths of angle for the tops of the legs (see pic) and 1x613x25 mm square tube to stabilise the cabinet across the bottom. Best quote to get a set made up was $100. Plastic end caps for the legs can be bought at Clark Rubber for a couple of dollars.

FINISHING: Enough GOOD QUALITY vinyl to do a full machine will cost between $15-$30 this is an important part to the final look of the machine so it's not worth scrimping on.

GLASS CORNER CLIPS: I get these machined up on a mill for $5-$10 each depending on the size of the run (min job is $100 though).

CONTROLS: Joysticks, buttons and KEYWIZ total $110

HARDWARE:$30-$50 eg countersunk screws,hinges,T-Moulding,enamel paint....

I try to keep cost of each build under $500, so that would be a rough estimate of the total cost to build one of these cabs.

The min tools needed to make a cab yourself would be:

Screwdrivers

Hand Drill (28mm Spade bit for button holes, costs $18 and a full range of normal drill bits)

Jigsaw

Table Saw

Arc or MIG Welder

Router (Bits: Flush Cutter/45 Angle Cutter/26.6 Radius Cutter/Slot Cutter)

Soldering Iron & Continuity Tester

Initial build time from start to finish (if you have all materials ready to go) was about 40 labour hours but I have completed them in 16 hours (2 days).

Edited by Kaizen

Perhaps a dedicated build thread which can be stickied for future generations to admire...

Reason - I'm gonna try and build one of these for the 21" CRT I have in the shed..:D

I get 10 Meg webspace from my ISP so I'll see what I can do about setting a page up.

I'm cutting up a stack of wood over the next week so I'll try to update with new pics as well (more detail on routing and assembly step by step).

I'll leave the plans at the start of the thread but if someone can put them into a PDF, that would be great.

I get 10 Meg webspace from my ISP so I'll see what I can do about setting a page up.

I'm cutting up a stack of wood over the next week so I'll try to update with new pics as well (more detail on routing and assembly step by step).

I'll leave the plans at the start of the thread but if someone can put them into a PDF, that would be great.

I've set up a blog at: http://www.arcadecocktail.bigblog.com.au (now a dead link as Telstra pulled the pin on BigBlog)

It was only just set up so theres not much there yet, but I'll add to it on a regular basis over the next week so keep checking back.

Edited by Kaizen

New Cab Started

New Cab Started today.....

I'm hoping to complete it by next weekend, I'll update with a few more progress shots over the coming days.

So far I have the base and top section built.

Edited by Kaizen

Nearly there....

It's day 6 and it's nearly finished...

Cab's completed and wired up

XP installed & Mala setup running 3752 Induvidual Games (MAME 0.122 with 6000 roms)

Tested and running sweet.

Need to get the legs and corner clips fabricated tomorrow and its all done.

Updated pics of below....

16102008(002).JPG.79764f626de247e86b2422fb5b7a8b2e.JPG

16102008(004).JPG.4090e438bee38a30afd04221c6729e05.JPG

16102008(005).JPG.809fdd547128dce53395d768a15ba2f0.JPG

Edited by Kaizen