Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arcade Game Location Database!

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is a recent photo tour of Surfers Paradise Arcade.
    http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/surfers.htm

awesome work!!! that really sums up timezone on the gold coast. hows that pool table? it's awesome. i like how it's out of order.

"In Brisbane the best arcade they have is called "Replay" cant remember the exact location."

TSC - replay's are everywhere up here. any general indication of where the one you went to might be? it's awesome finding new arcades.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i went to checkout the maroochydore plaza timezone and the dam thing has closed down. that one was pretty good too. it had the ferrari 355 with 3 screens and bass fishing with the rod and heaps of cool stuff. oh well, have to go to chermside next, see if they have anything new!

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenpig
    "In Brisbane the best arcade they have is called "Replay" cant remember the exact location."

TSC - replay's are everywhere up here. any general indication of where the one you went to might be? it's awesome finding new arcades.
    I'm guessing he means Brisbane City (142 Albert Street - near the corner of Albert and Elizabeth).

Last time I was in there they had a heap of Astro Cities up the back running newer fighters - Tekken5, MvC2, NeoGeo Battle Colloseum, SF3:3S, SvC:Chaos, and others I forget. Tekken5 gets a LOT of play, and the players are pretty friendly.

There's also a DDR machine, Ghost Squad, and 4 daytona units on big rear projections. And I'm probably missing heaps.

I keep forgetting to take a camera with me when I go there to document it all.

[EDIT]

I was in Indooroopilly Westfield yesterday, but forgot to take some photos on my mate's phone camera. Nothing special however. Identical to the description above, except with some additional Initial D 2 and 3 setups, and a Virtua-Cop 2 dual screener. Plenty of "Vs City" cabs for fighter fans. There was a Soul Calibur III there too, along with the usual fighting fare.
    Last edited by elvis; 12th December 2005 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello All,

Most larger shopping centers have small arcades or a few machines near the movies ect..

I`m fairly sure there are still arcades at :-

The hyperdome, Brownsplains shoping center, Towong and carandale.

Mrv

State
    Brisvegas
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

Replay - Brisbane CBD

I just did some xmas shoping today in the city and decided to pop into replay and take a look around...

This is a new games by the looks of it, "Cobra the Arcade Game" - A gun game by namco, i didnt have the cash to play it but it looks like the gun has a lock-on system that fires a laser at the targets on screen. Almost like how the laser lock-on works in the panzer dragoon games...

Cobra was also a wide screen game, this cab was for four players.

Next up was a new Maximum Tune 2 machine. I didnt really see anyone play this while i was there, but then again it was 9:30 am on a monday morning. Nice graphics, good sound system. The gameplay is pretty similar to Shotaku Battle (Tokyo Highway Battle). Game features the usual suspects... GTR etc.
    (note the inital d-3 machine besides it)

Para Para Paradise, -nuff said. You can see some idiot in the reflection taking a picture too, man i hate tourists!!!

Sega Ghost Squad DX machine, Ian took a bunch of pictures of the ones on the Coast. Looks pretty good. VC3 style graphics, in a Tom Clancy style of setting.

"Beat Manix II DX 10th Style" yet another music game. Controlls look a bit intimidating for the un-initiated, but stilll a very a cool machine.

Holy Shit Batman!!! its a retro-cade machine!!! Know, i didnt think that this was legal but oh-well. Basically an X-in-1 machine setup on a nice big 33" cab. Notice that there is another idiot tourist taking a picture of this!!! damn flash.

It seems that alot of developers are trying to cash in on the whole initial D thing. Here is yet another attempt. Wangan Midnight R, also in the same vein as Tokyo Highway Battle.

Replay had a good selection of 2d and 3d fighters as well. Here you can see the older style versus city cabs. One on the left with Neo-Geo Battle Colloseum, Middle was King of Fighters XI and on the end was a Lurvley sega Naomi with Capcom vs SNK 2, (the jap version!!!!!).

Behind this set of machines was also another 3 versus city cabs, featuring tekken and some others. I was a bit peeved with the joysticks on the versus city cabs - an MCA with crappy buttons. It would have been cool to have the seimitsu "outies" and sanwa sticks though.

While im on the subject too, Neo Geo Battle coluseum was a bit naf, so too was king of fighters xi. But it still is good to see local ops still supporting 2d fighters. I look foward to seeing if they get in the metal slug game and fist of the north star fighter.

----

Drum Mania V machine, many ppl were playing it when i was there.

Here is a line-up of the 50" machine that they've got there. The one of the left was had a toasted screen though. I beleive that it was Tekken 4, so now big loss . In the middle there was the very popular Street Fighter 3 Third Strike machine, -much loved by all patrons, as can be seen by the thick layers of dead scin around the joysticks!!!

On the far right, just out of screen was a large 33" King of Fighters 2003 machine. and too the far left was a bowling game.

Also of interest was a breeders cup game and a merit touchscreen system (set up in a namco exceleena) to the left of this picture.

-----------------

This was where i stopped taking pictures because i think that the operator was going to confront me, so i left with my bounty!!! Anyway, of ineterest there was a naomi universal cab with Zombie Revenge, a Megalo 410 with Virtua Tennis and some other cabs with various older games, incl Raiden 2!!!.

There were like 8 or 10 daytona machine too in this one location. Man this game must have made some money in its time!! There was also the obligitory DDR machines, but this time there wasnt any fat middle aged white dudes playing it by themselves -instead was a pair of goth chics

Overall pretty cool arcade, just wish there was more of em'

------------------

I was just finishing the last of my christmas shopping when i decided to take a short-cut through the Elizabeth street arcade; shopping arcade that is folks. To my surprise there was a shop set up with just those coin-operated photo-boths; 3 of them infact.

I went in and asked the girl working there if i could take some pics and she was cool with it. She said that they had been there for about three weeks. The arcade that it is set up in has got alot of great Asian take-aways and seems to have alot of Asian-focused shops. I hope that they do well in their area.

The shop that it was in was a real trip, some of the most psychadelic wall paper i have ever seen.

Anyway, here are the pics...

These machines were massive too!!! about half as long as a family sedan and pretty high.

Here is a picture of the front of the store...
    (note the awesome wallpaper)

The girl working there was real nice and wanted to know about the website. If your into this sorta stuff then you should drop in. Its in the arcade where the piercing shop is, just down from Skinnies records.
    Last edited by Berty; 12th December 2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty
    Behind this set of machines was also another 3 versus city cabs, featuring tekken and some others. I was a bit peeved with the joysticks on the versus city cabs - an MCA with crappy buttons. It would have been cool to have the seimitsu "outies" and sanwa sticks though.
    That seems to be the trend these days. Cabinets ship with default joysticks, and when they break they are replaced with crappy MCAs due to their longer lifespan and lower cost.

While I sympathise that the arcade industry is not the goldmine it once was, some nice control hardware wouldn't go astray.

Sega Ghost Squad DX machine, Ian took a bunch of pictures of the ones on the Coast. Looks pretty good. VC3 style graphics, in a Tom Clancy style of setting.
    Is that a Naomi-driven game? It's a fair bit of fun. Different to your average blaster.

[edit] yup, the manual confirms it: Naomi GD-ROM.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just updated the Gold Coast Timezone on the first page - added heaps more games

State
    Brisvegas
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elvis
    Is that a Naomi-driven game? It's a fair bit of fun. Different to your average blaster.

[edit] yup, the manual confirms it: Naomi GD-ROM.

nope, it acutally runs on the Chihiro, same board as Outrun 2, Virtua Cop3 and House of the Dead 3, to name but a few. The chihiro still does use a gdrom drive though, and the gdrom rom drive from the naomi will work perfectly well with the chihiro.

Here's a pic.

Oh yeah, a replcacement Chihiro board is around $6000USD from Suzo.

For that price you can buy an outrun 2 SP DX machine,... mmmmm outrun 2.
    Last edited by Berty; 12th December 2005 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    nope, it acutally runs on the Chihiro, same board as Outrun 2, Virtua Cop3 and House of the Dead 3, to name but a few. The chihiro still does use a gdrom drive though, and the gdrom rom drive from the naomi will work perfectly well with the chihiro.
    Ah, my ignorance shines again! I didn't realise there were systems outside of Naomi that run GD-ROM drives.

US$6K! I'm amazed that there are still arcades in operation with those sorts of costs for single boards.

[edit] Well bugger me if it's not a cut back PC in a box:
    http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=729

It seems x86 is becoming more and more popular in arcades. I'm only just learning about all the old 386 based games, and seeing the Lindbergh appear a while back. I guess the CPUs are cheap and readily available en masse, and scale nicely for all this 3D business the kids seem to want these days.

State
    Brisvegas
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

The chihiro is justa beefed up xbox, which was a pc in a box too. There's also the Taito Type-X which is just a pc configuration. (celeron and nvidia)

I think the whole x86 thing is just a cost cutting thing for the industry. Plus ppl dont really need any special hardware knowledge to program for these systems, -well in comparision to the older RISC systems at least.

Although you still see the use of Hitachi's Super Risc Engine (SH) processors being used as well as the venreble 68000.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information