Thread: Spammers

State
    In a house, Ipswich, Sunny Qld
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Spammers

Today I have had to delete and number of threads and ban two spammers, there are many ways to slow these pricks down but we will never stop them.

Do we need a delay on posting rights for new members?

State
    swinging arms hotel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    who has the time to perform such things? what spam do u encounter here virgil

State
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Today we had about six posts in consoles selling shoes from China then some other fool later in the day posted twice selling other shit from china.

State
    belmont, brisbane
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil Tracy View Post
    Today I have had to delete and number of threads and ban two spammers, there are many ways to slow these pricks down but we will never stop them.

yes, 1 week posting delay and 14 day thread starting delay and maybe a 'enter the characters' box every few posts to stop automated spam...

State
    central vic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

No

what we have here is a forum, thus with forums we have this type of thing happening.
    If you want to run a forum you have to be prepared deal with these and delete such activities, that is why you are a mod, that is your job, otherwise don't put your hand up for such, I mean that nicely.

If you have a delay in posting for new members then you won't get any new members I feel and then this becomes a private club so to speak, and who wants that.
    Lets keep it public, freedom of speech is our right, don't turn it into a dictatorship please.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)
    Putting a delay on posting rights for new members might not prevent spam, but I'm sure it will reduce the volume and frequency.

Matthew

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2065 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felixthadog View Post
    Putting a delay on posting rights for new members might not prevent spam, but I'm sure it will reduce the volume and frequency.

Matthew
    yep, only way to beat spammers is banning their arse.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Are you able to ban entire IP blocks? Either via the forum software, or at your provider/firewall level?

There are a number of sites that document which IP ranges belong to which countries. Blocking known bad countries (China and a lot of Eastern Europe seems to be hotspots) can slow things down.

I'll try and find the site that maintains the lists and post it here.

State
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaMpAgE View Post
    No

what we have here is a forum, thus with forums we have this type of thing happening.
    If you want to run a forum you have to be prepared deal with these and delete such activities, that is why you are a mod, that is your job, otherwise don't put your hand up for such, I mean that nicely.

If you have a delay in posting for new members then you won't get any new members I feel and then this becomes a private club so to speak, and who wants that.
    Lets keep it public, freedom of speech is our right, don't turn it into a dictatorship please.

I agree, I was just putting it out there for ideas or suggestions on how we slow them down.

State
    Sydney (Normanhurst)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I agree, I was just putting it out there for ideas or suggestions on how we slow them down.
    I vote for doubling Virgil Tracy's current pay from the forum

Really, I think a delay is appropriate. These people are hit and run - so deleting accounts mean nothing as they won't be back... Therefore if they have to wait, they will just go find another forum.

Hmmm forum spamming must be such a fulfilling job...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information