Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Wild Fyre cabinet - the start

The cabinet on this game had been painted with a roller and some rough graphics applied. Parts where the wood was missing had been painted over and when i picked the machine up the legs were stuck on from when they had been applied when the paint was still wet. This is a "dealer" here in QLD that had done this - nothing like a quick buck!

Heres what she looked like at the start - doesnt look too bad in a photo, but painted in gloss acrylic, with no graphics on header or cab front. Graphics on the side are a simplified version of what should be there.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8776/wfcabinetbp3.jpg

I removed all the paint down to bare wood on the cabinet - this is fun as always as acrylic jams up the sanding sheets and so i scraped with a heat gun and then sanded back - was a lot easier and quicker.

Cabinet is then primed ready for base coat

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2129/wildfyrecabrestoress2.jpg

The header was an issue - corners missing and the timber surround was shot - this is actually MDF and was falling apart. So this is then removed and the header itself then bogged with builders bog, sanded back and then primed.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3528/wildfyrecabrestore1tp5.jpg

New timber is cut and then attached to the header - ive used screws and not nails on this - not a big fan of nails

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5672/wildfyrecabrestore2xn4.jpg

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7135/wildfyrecabrestore3ou1.jpg

As you can see - holes where the screws are have been filled and the joins in the timber.

This all gets sanded again and primer applied - i use a wide brush for this, wait to dry and then a light sand back to give a smooth finish

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9353/wildfyrecabrestore4lz6.jpg

As you can see - the dog likes to be involved

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/5657/wildfyrecabrestore5lw5.jpg

Thats the work to date, ive matched the original colours and will be spraying her this week, templates have been made already using computer cut vinyl, files for this machine have been vectorised by hand as this ensures the best quality possible.

Next week, i hope to be able to show the finished product... stay tuned!!!

Give you a race to complete..

You're on Tony.. i could manipulate this a bit tho ...something getting delayed in the post maybe??

Nino,

i only use acrylics for the cabinets, on a good warm day you can get the whole lot sprayed in one hit.

I went to the hardware store that doesnt have a huge queue each time at the paint desk and got the nearest match i could to the base colour. A bit more playing around with it at home and ive got what i believe to be a damn fine match.

Acrylics are difficult to spray due to the particles in the paint being too large to go through the nozzle on a spray gun. To combat this, ill be diluting with acetone as it dissolves the particles not just water them down.

ill be spraying in a mates booth, taking face mask and gun with me.

Once its done, ill spray a light coat of linseed based finish - polyurathane will do, this will give a slight yellowing to the cabinet and will yellow further with age, giving a very authentic look.

Its forecast rain this week so i wont get it all done in one day, but ill be posting again later, including template application etc.

Lot of work gone into this machine, pf fully restored and now the cabinet under way. I hope the new owner appreciates it whoever they may be..

LOL!!!

Is Ok mate - wouldnt do it to you! Chances are ill get real busy at work and have to delay the spray till after next weekend.

Work pays for pinballs... work pays for pinballs .. I have to tell myself over and over again...

Havent done it, i like to spray as it gives a slight bleed at the edges.

Rollering on if you cant spray is fine, will give a much crisper look to the graphics due to no spray bleed, plus the finish will be a bit thicker, but it will certainly give great results

Gavin, with re-stencils, have you ever tried rolling the paint on with a smooth roller instead of spraying? This is something I want to try as I don't have the facilities for spraying at home.

Hey Creech,

Sorry to jump on Gavin's post - mate is up to you - I have a friend in Albury that restores his classic 1960s pins that way.

You would be surprised what a can of spray paint can do - I'm not using a spray gun for my Apollo - the entire thing will be done with cans. A steady hand and some sell belief is all you need

Have no doubt it will come up sweet. All you need is patience and some confidence.

Piece of p*ss!

Hey Creech,

Sorry to jump on Gavin's post - mate is up to you - I have a friend in Albury that restores his classic 1960s pins that way.

You would be surprised what a can of spray paint can do - I'm not using a spray gun for my Apollo - the entire thing will be done with cans. A steady hand and some sell belief is all you need

Have no doubt it will come up sweet. All you need is patience and some confidence.

Piece of p*ss!

Thanks Tony.

With spray cans, how do you match up the exact colours?

And there lies the problem.

In saying that - most of the colours used on these cabinets are good bold primary examples and very close matches are available in a spray can.

The graphics on this game have black and a deep red, well black is black and the deep red is available in a can.

The base yellow i had to have made up though

And there lies the problem.

In saying that - most of the colours used on these cabinets are good bold primary examples and very close matches are available in a spray can.

The graphics on this game have black and a deep red, well black is black and the deep red is available in a can.

The base yellow i had to have made up though

Thanks Gavin. Can you get custom colours made up in a can?

No mate,

Tin only.

If you need to get your base colour made up, then try applying it with a smooth roller and then a light sand back will give a good smooth finish.

If you can get the graphics colours in a can then you're away!

Remember though, that the colour you see on your cabinet is not the colour it started out as - it will be much lighter. look under the legs or inside the cabinet - the original colour will be there. What we see on these cabinets is a nice old looking game - once it was bright and shiney like new!

This, in my opinion gives you some room for manouvre as whos to say the colours arent spot on?? Theyve only seen the old dirty yellowed colours

Thanks Gavin. Can you get custom colours made up in a can?

Yep.

Some paint shops can mix and put the paint into a spray can.

I have done this a few times but only with car paint, not sure about oil based stuff though.

Where did you get this done Spacies???

Ive never heard of this.

If you can get it made up in a can, then that would make life a lot simpler for many, the only other option is to hire an airless sprayer for a day