Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

monitor issues

mrjamma

Question

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I just bought a machine from ebay for $350. I saw that it had purple tinge in the screen but thought that it would likely just need a degauss. I then thought that even if this wasn't the case, the machine was a decent price anyway and would be worth fixing regardless.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330241739532&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

In any case, the issue with the monitor is as follows

- Purplish tinge throughout the whole screen

- Colour is inaccurate. I.e. in street fighter the health bars are meant to be yellow and once health is taken they go red. My monitor always shows them as red the entire match.

Blanka is brown instead of green, ken has red hair, guiles clothes arent green. Its all like faded colour

Its not the game board either because this issue happens with my street fighter zero board as well.

- Sharpness is pretty bad and theres no adjustment for it on my monitor controls/adjustment panel. Its like the picture is somewhat blurry

I purchased a degauss wand. I done the steps as advised in another post.

Slowly go in circles away from the monitor and all the way toward it and then back. While doing it I could see what it was doing in that it shows rainbow-like yellowy swirls (hard to describe but im sure you have all done this). Anyway once I completed doing this there was absolutely no change in the picture. Nothing at all got any better. Tried again later once I let the wand cool down but this time I started in front of the monitor and worked my way back but no change.

Is there anyone in Sydney on the forum here who has a knowledge of monitors/their problems as good as Jomac - if so anyone willing to check out or fix my screen for beer :lol i just dont want to take my machine anywhere as ill need to borrow someones ute.

ok what could it be though

- Picture tube cactus not displaying colours correctly and clearly and with purplish tinge?

- Chassis on its way out causing this?

I don't want to spend money unnecessarily on repairing a monitor component i.e. the chassis when in fact it could be the tube stuffing up - is anyone able to diagnose once and accurately? :unsure

sorry for all the questions, but with little knowledge i have in the monitor/chassis area, it can be frustrating ya know

thanks in advanced guys i know yous will be a great help.

15 answers to this question

Have you had a look at the neck board and chassis, i find with old machines that they are covered in dust and this causes all sorts of problems, give it a good blow out (with the power off) and see what happens, there should be a brightness, contrast and colour control behind the monitior you could try adjusting them as well.

If you know what type of chassis it is i might be able to give some more technical advise, but as i said above give it a good clean first and see how it goes, other than that take the chassis out and check for dry joints (very common on older models), you can also adjust the focus (sharpness)from the FBT although not recommend

hey guys

thanks ill do my best with those suggestions tonight and let you's know

is there anyone here from sydney that would be willing to have a look and potentially fix it . if so can you pm me your charges$

Hi guys. A slight update.

Note: all things i done (although not much) were done whilst monitor was off.

Also note that I used my camera phone for this pics so sorry ;)

1. Had a good look around. very little to no dust present.

Nonetheless, I removed the neck board, blew over it, and put it back in.

While the neck board was off, I noticed what seemed to be little capacitors OR spade connector looking things. One of these had hot glue used to keep it into place I guess. It moves fairly easy with a light touch of finger (moves side to side) but still seems to be soldered onto the board correctly.

neck.jpg

2. I then checked to see if the yoke was loose. I could only assume the yoke was the part which attaches to the tube from the back. i LIGHTLY tried moving it in a clockwise, then anti-clockwise direction to see that it was slightly loose. This was due to hot glue again seeming to keep it into place but the glue had cracked and it could move a tad

yoke.jpg

3. I just took a pic of the chassis in case its of any help. It said sharp electronics or something like that on the pcb

chassis.jpg

Now although I done stuff all, when i turned the machine back on, the picture was SLIGHTLY a tad better , but then again it could be my imagination. Its still far from perfect. Colours are wrong in a lot of areas of my games, still doesnt look clear etc.

anyone in syd think they can fix it - ill pay - quote me.

i dont want to take it somewhere like escape electronics etc. - id rather have it fixed in my home if possible. Or a diagnosis to tell me exactly what the issue is would be great

any help appreciated. Thanks guys.

Edited by mrjamma

Lets narrow it down...

1) Test the PCB: Try the PCB in another cabinet and see if the fault follows the PCB.

2) Test the monitor: Try another board in the cabinet and see if thats the issue. Note: same as 1) but different :D

3) Put the PCB into test mode. There is normally a CRT test that will show red green and blue. Is that fine?

4) Try adjusting the red green and blue gains on the chassis. In the pic, it kind of looks like not enough green (or too much red and blue).

what ive done when a monitor is not right is go to the test screen

usually there is a colour check and go to that

then turn all the pots for colour to zero and one at a time adjust them till i see all the colours

best done with 2 people unless you have long arms

I have tested two game boards with the same issue on this machine

these boards are fine in my other machine (however that has a vertical monitor :p )

Anyway ill check the other settings as per the advice in the above two posts - thanks ill get back to yous

just a quick question though, is that yoke meant to have any movement at all

hi guys

ive mucked around with the adjustments and i still seem to be getting nowhere

i appreciate all the suggestions and efforts put in.

though i think it has now come time to consider alternatives as I just want my machine working properly.

I had no replies earlier to my query about anyone who is on this forum in sydney who can come out to have a look, so instead I'll ask if anyone know a mobile monitor/chassis repairer who can diagnose for sure the actual issue and repair it ?

That way it is in front of them and they can tell me for sure

Otherwise I may have no other option but to ebay the machine off (which i really dont want to do considering the efforts put in)

when you remove the neck board, you have the round connector socket probably 10 pin give it a good clean make sure there is no tarnish on the yoke pins and the connector socket. Along with the input from above posts, then there is nothing simple left, apart from taking the chassis out and checking for dry joints and leaky capictors.

Good luck.

hi guys

just an update so that it may be of use to others

I found that in the colour test screen, there was no green coming up no matter what i did in the adjustment

Sent the chassis of to good old Joey (jomac) who found the driver for green in the neckboard was cactus

so all sorted now

Sorry for the late reply. Wow, this was 11 years ago haha.

I ended up sending the chassis to jomac.

It had no green, when i checked using colour test via menu on the street fighter board

Was a dead transistor on the neck board for green colour.

A year or so later, a 2nd colour went (which i think was blue), and i replaced the transistor myself on the neck board for that specific colour and she came good again. Been good ever since - my brother now owns the machine fault-free.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I sent the chassis to Jomac also. He did a good job. I now have it all back & set up....However the PCB game XMEN vs Street Fighter powers up but doesn't run. The screen is on, I can see black pixels but the game doesn't run. I've checked all the power outlets on the PSU & the Jamma, they all seem fine.

So I bit the bullet & bought the Rasberry pi to Jamma PCB. I hooked it up & it worked great, the colours were way off & if I went to bright on the brightness controls I got horizontal lines. It was running for about an hour & was looking fine after some adjustments.

BUT....I powered it down & then the Rasberry pi wouldn't boot up again, I'm back to the black screen on pixel death! I've tried re-imaging the micro sd with a fresh build, but nothing happens. MaybeI'm super unluckly with the pi, but not sure if my machine playing tricks on me.

Can someone help me, I was hoping to be gaming old school for Xmas, but I'm now stuck again. I'm based in Newtown, Sydney.