Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinball Tragic Seeks Company

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Pinball Tragic Seeks Company

Greetings Group. This is my first post on your fine and fickle forums. And to celebrate this happy event I thought I'd do something different to the usual "I'm new - ask dumb question - get flamed by regulars" approach favoured by many.

My name is GEE... This is not only an expression of sardonic wonder, but also my initials. I'm sure you've seen them many times on the high score tables of pinball machines across this wide brown land.

(Or maybe not. But not for my want of trying.)

I am the epitome of a pinball addict. But I wasn't always this way. I got hooked on pins in the 70s, got turned off by the lame sqwarking and beeping of early 80s pins*, and somehow managed to miss most of the 90s renaissence of pinball while engaged in other pursuits. (I think I was having a career or something ... I vaguely recall there were some women involved, too ... perhaps some drinking ... it's all a bit of a blur, frankly.)

Fast forward to now, give or take a year.

A year ago I moved cities into a house big enough to accommodate my middle age spread AND my hobbies. And so I immediately set about having my own little pinball renaissence.

### Warning! Mandatory List of Pinballs Owned Follows. ###
    Medieval Madness
    Cirqus Voltaire
    Twilight Zone
    Starship Troopers
    (one other secret EM pinball)
    ### You are now safe. Mandatory List of Pinballs Owned concluded. ###

"GEE," I hear you think, in an ironically capitalised thought bubble. "That guy must really like pinball."

You don't know the half of it.

In the past year I've bought pinball books, stickers, spare parts, more bulbs than Las Vegas, and a soldering station. I've taught my 3 year old son how to drop catch a silver ball, I've been abused by Wayne in an email contretemps, I've corresponded with the guy writing the new ROM for Cactus Canyon, and I've visited the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas.

And yet, despite all of the above, I still haven't completed Battle For the Kingdom on MM.

So there you go. I am GEE. Make of me what you will.

* the asterisked statement represents the mandatory flamebait required in n00b posts, designed to provoke outrage or condecension** from the owners of early 80s pins ;-)

State
    (^._.^)~
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Welcome GEE,

Have fun around here mate, contribute as much as you can and/or just enjoy the forums.

Enjoy!
    Ian
    The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

State
    Sunshine Coast Qld
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Isn't it nice when you find fellow freaks and can feel right at home
    Hey GEE, are you considering the purchase of a new MM or CC from Wayne?
    Also, what did you think of the pinball hall of fame?

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is the secret EM something you don't want your wife to know about?

as someone who has "snuck" a pinball home I can tell you it is hard to keep a secret for long

Welcome to the groups and looking forward to talknig about all things pinball

Ric

State
    Auckland New Zealand
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Welcome to the nut house.

The sydney members have regular counseling sessions.
    All are welcome

State
    tranquility base
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Talking

welcome GEE
    couple of questions
    are you in QLD
    have you been to ADELAIDE in last 2 years
    and what is the (one other secret EM pinball), please tell us (me )
    hey i can keep i secret
    atari "SPRINT 8 " wanted to buy from anywhere in the world (preferably australia though) any condition and help much appreciated

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    Welcome GEE. Plenty of pinball freaks here.. youll fit in well

State
    Sydney, NSW
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome GEE..that name reminds me of when I worked for this yank comany and a Canadian collegue would welcome we every day with "Watup, G?" ... never did get around to asking WTF that ment...anyways dont be scared of getting flamed here because it doesnt happen...unless you rip someone off...or leave the pub while owing a round...or try and keep EM pinnies secret...
    ...maybe, but then again "maybe" covers a lot of things, like: maybe Michael Jackson really is LaToya in drag, or maybe if Dorothy clicks her heels 3 times and says "There's no place like home" while she is at home, she would telefrag herself..." - MadMikeAU
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/madmikeau.png
    www.gameinfoonline.com | My VAPS.ORG entry | BFW | The List

http://www.countdown2zero.com/mscd.php?code=beb62

State
    Brisbane - Oz
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)

Wotto Guest
    OK OK the asterisk statement has gotten to me Gee !!!! I tried to hold back - I really really did but I cant take it anymore..........

I am the owner of many a lame squaking and beeping 80's pin and these puppies deserve a little respect thankyou !

How was your trip to the Pinball Hall of Fame- I am curious because from the pics I have seen it has quite a few lame squakers and beepers in there. And it seemed to have VERY few "toy filled / fill PF with more toys, now if I can just add some more toys to my MOVIE themed only , non imagintaive titled late model pin I will be happy with the design if I can just find a way to add more toys" style of pinball machine in there?? . I LOVE the late models, I really do cause you know ANYONE can play em, just belt the ball around and you are BOUND to hit SOMETHING cause EVERYTHING scores a point somehow, no skill shots here please !

At the other end of the scale I guess the thrill of waiting 3 minutes for the ball to get from the top of the PF to the flipper on the "ding ding sounding , oh look the reels go round excitement packed EM's" ** ( here is my asterisk statement waiting now for EM owners to start flames ) is a lot more thrilling than the awesome speed and sounds associated with say "lame ole Firepower or squaky ole Black Knight"????

I'm sorry - I am not sure I have heard ANY of my 80's machine go beep or even squak yet?

Anyway welcome to the boards, I am sure you will have a lot of fun here and get help from all involved.

Cheers

Wotto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information