Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gallag Sound Issue

• Super Moderator

Hi, the sound on my Gallag board in my cocktail cab seems to have decided to stop working (Bloody tragic!) . I've checked all the basic stuff like loose connections, cables, plus etc, but have had no luck.

Any guesses on what to check and how? :unsure

• Super Moderator

I ran my finger under the amp and the sound fired back into life. I have no idea why it stopped, or why it started agin when I did this, but thanks for the tip

Cheers

• Administrators
I ran my finger under the amp and the sound fired back into life. I have no idea why it stopped, or why it started agin when I did this, but thanks for the tip

Cheers

Possibly a cold solder joint. might be a idea to reflow the solder in the joints on the amp and surrounding caps.

• 2 months later...
  • Super Moderator

Problem Solved

Intermitent sound continues to plague me, some days it's good, other not a peep.

I've been back through the cab and rechecked all the wiring, connections, harnness, speaker function etc.

Got the shits with it last night and whipped the pcb out and shoved it in my lowboy and it worked like a charm.:x

So back to the cocktail and rechecked everything again. Looks ok, why not check the speaker again, nothing else to loose.

So this time I take the speaker out of the cab and sitting inside the cone was a match stick. Closer inspection showed that some tool had shoved the match through the speaker cone!

The hole was right next to the speaker core on the other side from which I was looking so I never saw it before I took it out.

Seems to explain everything doesn't it. Gives you the shits when you spend this bloody long looking for something so simple. The fact that speaker worked so well when it worked fooled me into thinking that it was OK. Good thing about the whole ordeal is that the wiring has all been labled and tidied up and now I get to grab some new speakers.:D

Foot

usually it is the simple things

my cocktail - blew two power supplies - it was nothing to do with board or transformer - it was a shorted coin counter (thanks Geoff for the tip)

then the colours were wrong not a ROM or any other type of error - the blue and red were switched at the harness (thanks Mad mike for that tip)

easy stuff may be frustrating but it usually is a lot easier to get going than a fired custom chip etc

Ric