Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Preserving Art

• Administrators

Hi guys

Thought I would try my hand at scanning some art. My first Project is a Darkstalkers Mylar Gavin gave me.

I also have the instruction sticker which I will scan soon.

I did this one in 3 parts the edges of which would ALWAYS be different which made it hard to match when joining.

I'm using Fireworks.

First attached image is before and after with 60% saturation to compensate for the fading.

Things I'd like to know from the experts.

Programs.

Best PPI? I used the standard 200 seems like good results.

Best image format to work with? I used png then saved as jpg at 100%

My attached files are reduced in size to fit on the forum. The original png is 43 megs and even the saved jpg full sized 4882x1652 is 15.5 megs.

Lets get all the tips and what not here and soon I will start a thread with any art work stickers etc that I have to share.

DSbefore800x600.jpg.b63bdff8d3e93ff3891347381b9a6ac7.jpg

DSafter800x600.jpg.932ffa0635518e43508be84e4aec6442.jpg

Best is vector, but can't scan to that, can convert with some adobe products but results are average. For the deicated, (what I did for my neo-geo cp) was scan, us it in Illustrator as a 'faded' backdrop and manually vectored over the top.. But seesh that was plain and took ages.

Anyway, I always like Tiff format for preserving the quality and anythin 200 and above dpi for me is good. At the moment I use Paint Shop Pro, I believe this in underrated, power yet simple to use.. my 2cents:)

I can't see no problem with waht you doing, would go to Jpeg though if you want to keep clarity, too many atrifacts with jpg..

If I print out stuff, I don't resize with the software, I resize it when printing.

In PSP, keep the picture what ever size, then select print, then select manual resize, and put the size in (in cm or mm)

Also have a small program that can chop up te picture if you want to print 'banner' style//

• Administrators
I can't see no problem with waht you doing, would go to Jpeg though if you want to keep clarity, too many atrifacts with jpg..

If I print out stuff, I don't resize with the software, I resize it when printing.

In PSP, keep the picture what ever size, then select print, then select manual resize, and put the size in (in cm or mm)

Also have a small program that can chop up te picture if you want to print 'banner' style//

Is there any print program that will chop up a image automatically say print a header over so many A4s? or set your own print size? I think that is exactly where I'm going wrong. The software I'm using doesnt seem to have the settings to set your own output size. I will keep looking but

You can make a pdf that will 'tile' the image ie you specify the size eg A4, then it will split the image into A4 sized sheets. You can also specify how much overlap you want with the tiles.

Tiff or eps is the best format for images.

Under one of the menus in Photoshop the is a 'image size' dialog box, will show you exactly how big the image is.

Is there any print program that will chop up a image automatically say print a header over so many A4s? or set your own print size? I think that is exactly where I'm going wrong. The software I'm using doesnt seem to have the settings to set your own output size. I will keep looking but

I've got one let me see where it is and I'll send it to you...

• Administrators

Cheers Scott that Poster program was the ticket.

Just gotta track down some larger paper or even better photo paper so I can do it in one hit instead of over 2 sheets.

Pics below. This cab isnt backlit, might have to change that one day.

Gyruss1.jpg.c9104e381e5aca15886066edab736afa.jpg

Gyruss2.jpg.ebc59bbb2bc1bdd9206251d2fc438e1b.jpg

Pretty tight in the top of that machine might have to go the junkcade torch method.

If space is lacking, use cold cathode lights.

Even though I had heaps of room in the Neo Geo, I used two Cold Cathodes and they did a great job

Example