Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

CPS 2 Suicide Battery

gints

Hey guys,

My CPS2 SFA board is good as gold, and I guess I want to keep it that way (and learn as I intend to acquire a few more CPS2 boards). I have been reading about the suicide battery and as I understand, the RAM attached to the battery maintains the decryption tables to allow the boards to operate. I also understand you can replace this battery before it drops below 2V.

I guess what I would like to know is what is the best way of maintaining a CPS2 board? Does the battery charge when the game is under operation?

Additionally i have read about Phoenixed ROM boards. I read ages ago that the decryption tables were broken, hence a chip can be installed permanently with the encryption data on it, negating the need for a battery, is this correct?

After that massive post, I guess this is my question:

"I have a CPS2 board and plan to acquire more, whats the best way of making sure they dont fuck up on me?"

So long winded... sorry

It's extremely simple.

Get your new battery, unsolder the two points of the old battery, pull it out and then within the next 5 minutes just solder your new one in.....so long as you can solder ok it's really a simple job. The board will stay live for longer than 5 minutes without a battery but best to do it as fast as you can in a calm manner. No need to be rushing like mad and screw it up.

From the time i get the old battery out, i generally have the new one in and soldered within about 30 seconds.....very easy to do.

Get the batteries from JAYCAR, not the Dicksmith ones.....The DS ones i have found generally don't have manufacture dates on them, so you could be purchasing a battery that's been sitting on the shelf for god knows how many years. The ones Jaycar sells have manufacture dates stamped on them so you know how old the batteries are.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SB1771&CATID=&keywords=3%2E6v+battery&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

I got a battery from DS recently that was dated 2005......to make it worse, i got 3 of them and only 1 had a date on it.....i just go with the Jaycar ones. Just need to be careful not to bend the wires to much, i've had a few of them break on me.

Hope this helps.

OK that seems pretty simple. I guess its a good idea to replace a battery just so you know exactly when it was done to keep track of things.

Why did CAPCOM do this? Bit of a prick of a thing, and I don't really see any point?

I have the same view as AK on this one...

You have plently of time to switch out the old battery, i can't remember off the top of my head but its in the 45mins range... and even thats just a really conservative timeframe as ive seen them last a lot longer than that.

Whats the worst that can happen ? it dies and you phoenix it anyway.

Suicide batteries might be annoying for us collectors but from capcom's pov it kept the boards hack/bootleg free for a very long time. However, i think they went a little too far with cps3 but thats a whole other topic ;)

Offtopic: Sneek i ended up replacing 3 batteries in my cps3 carts no worries :) It's not that hard.

Oh yeah, I never said it was hard... nerve racking the first time though.

I refuse to do anyone elses though...

My point was... I just think they went a little overboard as the system is prone to way too many sensitivities which resulted in boards suiciding on OPs left right and centre rather than just putting in place a system just enough to stop ppl doing any malicious damage to the system.

Oh yeah, I never said it was hard... nerve racking the first time though.

I refuse to do anyone elses though...

My point was... I just think they went a little overboard as the system is prone to way too many sensitivities which resulted in boards suiciding on OPs left right and centre rather than just putting in place a system just enough to stop ppl doing any malicious damage to the system.

amen - i still have to get my 3s reflashed :P

still waiting for a fix - but with reflashing available, its not too bad.

I have the same view as AK on this one...

Yeah, your a funny guy!

Alpha plays funny audio sometimes, first hit ko was funny the first time and sometimes character special moves sound with another characters moves:D

I havent heard Turbo do it yet;)

I should add that they are set to original, that should be ok.

Yeah, your a funny guy!

Alpha plays funny audio sometimes, first hit ko was funny the first time and sometimes character special moves sound with another characters moves:D

I havent heard Turbo do it yet;)

I should add that they are set to original, that should be ok.

:lol:lol:lol You serious ?

I tested too and it worked when i was testing it... turbo ok ? which is the important one :D

:lol:lol:lol You serious ?

I tested too and it worked when i was testing it... turbo ok ? which is the important one :D

Turbo sounds ok, it hasnt been played that much because of the house move i just did, Alpha has been with Syzlack so its been played alot more.

When i set alpha to original its the right region, but with Turbo it doesnt go to the right region ,i think its USA.

Turbo sounds ok, it hasnt been played that much because of the house move i just did, Alpha has been with Syzlack so its been played alot more.

When i set alpha to original its the right region, but with Turbo it doesnt go to the right region ,i think its USA.

Both should work in either US, Jap or Asia... USA for turbo has freeplay which is good.

Dunno what you mean about its right region as there is no such thing after you phoenix it... the original region refers to what region the phoenix set is based off not the region the board you had was.

Give me a call if you have anymore probs with it... btw bring around that other board ;)

Both should work in either US, Jap or Asia... USA for turbo has freeplay which is good.

Dunno what you mean about its right region as there is no such thing after you phoenix it... the original region refers to what region the phoenix set is based off not the region the board you had was.

Give me a call if you have anymore probs with it... btw bring around that other board ;)

Righto so the pheonix rom dictates the region!

Dictates what region is "original" in the menu. ;)

I suck at explaining :D

Just change to whatever you want...

are you saying

THE PHOENIX DICTATES THE ORIGINAL REGION

Its fair to point out that Razoola does not recommend doing it though.

And i know why, i should film it and add it to youtube.

I should also add that with the Alpha on original region it does play up.

are you saying

THE PHOENIX DICTATES THE ORIGINAL REGION

And i know why, i should film it and add it to youtube.

I should also add that with the Alpha on original region it does play up.

hahah quiet you!

As for the alpha... it wouldn't surprise me if one of the masks are fucked... you did get it dead after all. My money is on, it not being phoenix related at all.

As for raz's suggestion... all i can say is ive never had any problems when sticking to the major regions, US, Jap and Asian.

hahah quiet you!

As for the alpha... it wouldn't surprise me if one of the masks are fucked...

Like i said Turbo has no probs at all, you do a great job to all my boards and i want to lick you but your a guy:D

Ill keep it for laughs as i paid $10 and dont care, as for the mask ill go down to the party shop and see what they think.