Thread: Cures for Slow windows machines

State
    Townsville
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by intigod View Post
    google blackvipers xp services guide for info on services tweaking. Big thumbs up for tiny do (rev 5) is my pick... Also what about ccleaner and avast antirus instead of avg
    I think he did mention ccleaner actually..

Smit

State
    (^._.^)~
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Avast's GUI is so complex. Why? AVG is so much easier. Then main reason's I prefer AVG over Avast. GUI on Avast is complex to a novice, one has to register Avast every year.
    The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinny Parlour View Post
    Avast's GUI is so complex. Why? AVG is so much easier. Then main reason's I prefer AVG over Avast. GUI on Avast is complex to a novice, one has to register Avast every year.
    i turn off avasts skin mode.... less memory usage and the gui is much cleaner

agreed though at first the skin mode is a little all over the place

State
    Townsville, North Qld
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

i was trying to help out with *FREE* utilitys that can be mastered in short time by folks who may not be proficient in their daily use of pc's.

if you want to nitpick over Antivirus scanners and want the best, you are going to need to pay for it in my humble opinion.

if you want the best, go here
    http://kaspersky.com.au/
    Last edited by @lien_Zed; 11th March 2008 at 06:59 PM.
    Ubuntu User #16304 Linux User #450903 rc forums ultimaterc.com looking for cabinet plans?click here pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on auto-magically? click here
    if your new to electronics and want to learn more, click here **how to attach images to posts click here** my youtube channel

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I always like to partition my drive for windows with at least two partitions . One is for the system files ( windows ) and the other personal files . This makes for an easy reinstall if things ever go bad in future ( and they will eventually ) .

Use Nlite for Windows XP or Vlite for Vista and cut out everything you dont need from the installation . You can also use Nlite to cripple services you dont need , (not a networked pc why have the service running ? ) .Use blackvipers service guide he has a safe list for those who are new to this .

If your not feeling confident with all that leave the installation alone and install fresh and tweak the services later by navigating to Start/ Computer right click the menu and choose Manage this will open up the Computer Manager . Go to Services and Applications/Services and here you will see everything thats running on your pc .

Start at the top and use blackvipers guide or just right click a service and select properties for more info on it ( be sure to check dependancies if you stop something ) only choose those things that start automatically and leave the manual stuff alone .

Make sure you dont turn off your antivirus and firewall and go through each one , use your head . Next use ccleaner and navigate to Tools/ Startup and turn off everything you dont want starting from those pesky programs like quicktime ,messenger and the like and just keep your security and those things you cant live without running and things will be a lot quicker .

State
    Guruville
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    hehe. I've gotta laugh. Sorry

You forgot one solution.

FORMAT C: /U

install Linux Kubuntu which looks and works just like XP for most stuff that the average Joe would want to do.
    See my step by step tutorial for how it's done.
    http://guru.mameworld.info/guruvskubuntu.html
    Guru
    http://gurudumps.blogspot.com.au
    Selling my entire PCB collection here.....
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~lantra9jp1_nbn/gurudumps/forsale/index.html

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    Another one - clean the damn fans, had one of my wifes mates ask me to take a look at her PC which was running like a dog. Turns out there was half a bloody dog inside the machine, clogged full of fluff, dust and pet hair. P4 2.8Ghz do not like not having their heatsink blocked and fan limping round. The CPU clocks back when its too hot to stop it overheating and this heatsink was very hot to the touch.

That and the PC only had 256MB in it. A biiig clean out, and the heatsink is cool to the touch, all fans running again. New old PSU as it the old old one had bulging caps galore too.

Oh and upping the memory from 256MB to 1.25GB helped a lot - apparently I have "speeded up the internet" too.
    Sic transit gloria Atari!

State
    Townsville, North Qld
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

while cleaning the fans, if your proficient with sandpaper, lap the cpu heat sink

only takes about 20 minutes and use new clean fresh heat sink compound when refitting

*DONT* use 9 ton of the stuff either or it will act as an insulator
    just a *THIN* film of it will do

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuru View Post
    hehe. I've gotta laugh. Sorry

You forgot one solution.

FORMAT C: /U

install Linux Kubuntu which looks and works just like XP for most stuff that the average Joe would want to do.
    See my step by step tutorial for how it's done.
    http://guru.mameworld.info/guruvskubuntu.html
    no need to format if installing ubuntu. it has its own partitioner, gparted and it will do it all for you if you wish

neat little guide. need to be updated. 7.10 is long in the tooth. grab 8.04 LTS or 9.04
    Last edited by @lien_Zed; 12th May 2009 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Auto Merged Double Post.
    Ubuntu User #16304 Linux User #450903 rc forums ultimaterc.com looking for cabinet plans?click here pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on auto-magically? click here
    if your new to electronics and want to learn more, click here **how to attach images to posts click here** my youtube channel

State
    Narre Warren, Vic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Another one - clean the damn fans, had one of my wifes mates ask me to take a look at her PC which was running like a dog. Turns out there was half a bloody dog inside the machine, clogged full of fluff, dust and pet hair. P4 2.8Ghz do not like not having their heatsink blocked and fan limping round. The CPU clocks back when its too hot to stop it overheating and this heatsink was very hot to the touch.
    Every PC the comes to my place gets hit with 100psi in and out before I even look at fixing any problems they have. The what do you know most issues are fixed after a good clean out . Oh and I hate working on a PC covered in god knows what.

I also use Avast over AVG I find it less in your face with update and the like. The doing the reg thing is not so bad. I have also found the Avast picked up more stuff that AVG was missing.

There is some good info in this thread to. good one ...
    Movies are very educational. Example: I wouldn't never guess that a shoot in head can kill a zombie...

State
    West Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I cured my slow old commodore 64 by sticking a Fast-Load cartridge in the back of it.

Does this help?
    Retired

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information