Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Lethal Weapon 3 Cabinet Restore

Hey Guys

After lots of reading and a little bit of playing and heaps of investigating,

I finally started my vector artwork.

I started with the easiest which is the front. Its not 100% but I'm happy with the result. Would love some opinions and thoughts. I have to fix the sergeant banner and the "3" but only minor stuff.

Unfortunately the last time I used illustrator & photoshop was CS and now Im using CS3. The whole interface has changed and new commands in both programs. So my first 2-3 hours was learning the interface which Im just starting to get used to.

For the last couple of weeks Ive been asking for some decent hi res shots but had no luck. This made my work a lot harder as I had to basically create everything from scratch and stuff I imported into Ill from PS needed alot of work (If anyone has decent cab sides Please let me know as Id love some decent pics. I did a couple of hours last week pasting 2 sides together and its hard work to get right - had to do this becuase i dont have a full picture of cabinet side)

This was a days work (not solid but off and on etc - prob 5-6 hours)

Man I got a lot to do!!!

Actually had a good look at pinball today. Its in really good nick except for exterior of course, as a newbie my ratings are subjective and no real experience.

Playfield condition 9/10 (bloody filthy though)

Plastics (2 broken)

Cabinet Sides 4/10

Cabinet inside 8/10

Theres this cardboard cover that is screwed down to hide coin box, do i need this? WIll take pics.

My pinny is number 10384 - one of the last :)

I will take apart all black cabinet parts (gun, coin door and legs to get powder coated). Will make enquiries about parts I need Ie rubber kit, screws etc

Whats the best way to do bolts? scrub and just paint black or get the tops powder coasted as well?

A quick question after pulling /looking at things I lost a pinball - yes i know how could i lose it? cant bloody find it!! - it rolled somewhere - i forgot to take out balls when i lifted playfield. When i press start button nothing happens now...is that becuase im missing a ball?

Ok thats all for now

Cheers

93828995_FrontComparison.thumb.jpg.c85ad1b41b7b61216197ad8709c1eba6.jpg

• Super Moderator
thats an excellent job. whats the process once you have finalised the img file? do you send to a professional printer? will they print it on a stick on decal sort of material?:unsure

Printing process

Thanks for the compliment Stuba

Yes, send to a pro printer - thats me haha...nah seriously I use to work in the digital printing game for 2 years and before that in the printing industry.

Basically it gets printed on self adesive vinyl and laminated and stuck on. Im going to run the job myself and see how I go. For those interested Ill be runnig on a Mutoh Eco sol. Bloody awesome printer. I havent decided which vinyl yet. But I want a matt finish or at most a semi gloss. Got a mate to help me apply which I was never good at.

I think my biggest challenge is going to be colourmatching the painted inside of the headbox to the vinyl (decals).

Started the side of the cabinet today what a bitch!! I should have been working but couldnt resist. Because there was damage on both sides I had to merge to make a "perfect" side. Angles were hard and lettering out but the main purpose is the outline and internal lines of explosion.

I have looked at a lot of images of LW3 on the net and the colors vary greatly a darkish navy blue to a cyan (currently what I have in my artwork) The best colour I think is taking the inside colour which is in between the two.

lhs.jpg.9309f9f05da86ee4e5dcd0559980536e.jpg

rhs.jpg.fd8fd0f69cee9be3fb6ef7aebca22d03.jpg

merged.jpg.491d0e10db5f72153668d3f9840dce38.jpg

Artwork Complete

Ok all artwork has been vectorised and finalised. A total of abo ut 40 hours work and I was well and truly over it.

Will be colour matching cabinet inside colour with blue artwork so Hopefully will be a good match. I will do somple sample prints for that colour.

Also did the drop targets as i wasnt happy with the quality available on the net ( I love the clean lines of vector art)

Next weekend Ill be stripping the playfield and head box ready for cabinet sanding.

I have one question. Is it just a matter of lifting the playfield out once its up? (once everything is disconnected)

568803366_BottomSide.jpg.ab7ff55020a602231d2424fb3f858ab3.jpg

2070821027_sidetop.jpg.02cb23443c9e22272f8ff773639ab471.jpg

A little quick update. Just recieved some nut drivers from Gibo. Thanks mate for helping me out so quickly :)

Off to see Boxerdog for some parts and info. Dropped off files to get printed next week

Stripping pinnie this weekend

• Super Moderator
A little quick update. Just recieved some nut drivers from Gibo. Thanks mate for helping me out so quickly :)

No worries mate,hope they come in handy,strike one up for Aussie Post, not bad one side of the country to the other in 48 hours

Start Playfield Strip

Just a quick bit of info. Spent the day off and on stripping playfield.

Overall a great new experience for me. Full of little surprises and challenges.

But before I go on, i'd just like to say that planning for my first 'strip' made the job sooo much easier. Those nut drivers were a god send and the magnetic pick up stick. Without these 2 tools I would have got frustrated to the max.

I'm about a 2/3's of the way through and as I said it was challenging. On closer inspection of the playfield I must say its in mint condition apart from the filth, worn rubbers and the 2 plastics broken. I will show pics at a later date when I have particular questions which I will post later as well.

The spinner wiring was not connected which I didnt notice when playing (didnt play much). The left ramp screw down is broken and will post for options of fixing.

I havent got to the underside yet but I just cant wait until I can get that rag out, clean, polish and wax. I had no idea really how much time was taken and really respect the people that have done full restores. It makes me think Ill keep LW3 for awhile. Its going to be anal but I reckon it will look good in the end.

Until the next update

Jas

Great job Jason, all the many hours and hard work is always worth it in the end, when you can crack open a beer and play your first game.

Even before you finish this one, you will be hunting out another pin project. Once you get the passion in your blood, there is no turning back.

It was good to catch up with you again the other day.

Keep up the good work.

Guest Burra749

Well done Jas

You just dont realise how much work is involved in doing a pinnie until you do it yourself.

It is worth all the effort in the end.

I hope your going to put at least 3 layers of mylar on the playfield so it can cope with all the use its going to get.;)

Well done Jas

I hope your going to put at least 3 layers of mylar on the playfield so it can cope with all the use its going to get.;)

LMAO!! I was reading and thinking why would you put 3 layers of mylar on and then read on hahaha. Geez I really have made a name for myself.

You're right Tony!!! It does get in your blood and man it feels good. Great to catch up and get some great tips and info. I look forward to my next visit.

People must thing we are crazy.

• 4 weeks later...