Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Monitor selection

nigelicious

Question

Hey all.. new to the site after being referred here by Chris from OzStick (thanks mate).

Decided to take the plunge and build a MAME cab.. am a complete and utter newb when it comes to this stuff. Am using the mameroom ultimate arcade II plans. Anyhow the monitor selection has been getting a bit daunting... thinking of going with a Arcade monitor rather than a pc monitot/tv/stripped tv+ chassis. I'm in Brisbane and locally gamdude have this for $399 http://www.gamedude.com.au/arcade/prod_show.php?art_no=arcMO29inch ... being that im quite daunted by the prospect of stripping a tv and getting a chassis etc, what does everyone think of this particular monitor? I haven't seen any others in QLD that won't cost me an arm and a leg to get delivered.

Hey. Thats a nice monitor.

If you are a total noob then you cant go past a PC monitor because its just plug and play. No JPAC, Arcade VGA card needed. Just an IPAC/Keywhiz.

Those cabs are huge! For your 1st build you could do a retrofit and see how things go.

Welcome to AA!

Well forget Arcade screens then!

If you build a Frakencab the you can leave a 21" PC monitor in its case and practically avoid the electrcution risk.

IPACs and stuff is childs play. Once you have it in your hands it all becomes clear how it works.

What sort of games do you play?

Fighting? Shumps? Classics?

I was going to use a PC monitor originally; I have a 21inch standard (not wide) LCD but after looking at it decided it was too small and wouldnt look as authentic as i'd like. I figure I'm going to put a buttload of effort (and a reasonable amount of cash) into the cabinet so I might aswell do it justice with a reasonable looking monitor.

Presumably, if I read enough about how to safely discharge an arcade crt and take precaution, I should be right... :rolleyes i hope! hehe

Oh, the bug has well and truly bitten.. I haven't been able to work for weeks with all of my web browsing and research on the subject! :badgrin

21" is perfect for your classic Aussie Lowboy. If you are building a bigger upright cabinet, then it might look a little small, but you can always upgrade the screen later...:unsure

Whatever you decide, we will be here to help...:D

Ok.

Fair enough.

I would build a cab to suit the games I play.

If you only play classics then build a classic cab. If you play fighting games, build MK or something.

You won't need to discharge the monitor to get it in and out. The monitor chassis and mounted to the frame so you won't need to separate it from the tube.

You will need an isolation transformer though I think and some wiring skills for that. Or an Electrician.

*edit* Oh, the reason I suggest building a nicer cab is that if you ever decide to sell it it will have more appeal than a big ass muthatrucka like those.

I mostly like the fighting style games I played when I was younger.. One of the reasons I liked the cab was the fact it can easily be made into a 2 piece for when I move house (I'm still in the rental game, unfortunately) . I like the look of this cab using the same design : http://arcadecontrols.com/images/examples/HeavyMetal.jpg

when i built my first mutha....i was shit scared about all this hi voltage stuff and just wasnt confident even tho i play with 240v etc. Just a fear a guess. So back then I wasnt happy with 21" and bought a 29"TV set. It was unreal. Just what I hoped for and it was cheap. You can pick em up cheap as and use black artboard to cover sides. I was happy with the pic as well - running svideo. It worked a treat

Are you scared anymore? I guess i'm just thinking it's probably an irrational fear if i'm careful etc.

Gamedude,.. i've bought alot of PC stuff from the store before :) I noticed you offer a big discount to AA members so I might get my post count up first hehe. I'm a fairly technical person, think with a bit of advice I'd be safe adding one of these to my cab? :)

I am building a low boy with 21 inch crt atm

rolls through doorways

nice size for moving house

Pc monitor (nice and safe)

great project for a first one

if you go down the arcade monitor root ( at least get a test and tag guy to have a look at it for you once it is all done

just because it goes -doesn't mean it is safe:D

good luck with your project:D

thanks gemminislxau :)

Yeah, I think I will probably go the arcade monitor one way or the other, i really want the cab to have an authentic feel.. i'm building it as a keeper. Might have to get a sparky to lend some assistance... or at least someone competent who likes being paid in beer (who doesnt?! :D)

Use an 15khz arcade monitor for your project.

It looks the shiz with an arcadevga.

LCD is way too sharp and VGA doesn't look that great either. No point in building a cab to relive the old days and skimping out on a true 15khz picture. That low rez progressive scan picture is the real deal.

Thanks vocalninja... yeah i've pretty much decided authentic arcade monitor the only way to go.. such a waste to build a nice cab and not have the real display in there..

spoke on the phone to Chris from OzStick today at length where he explained to me the benefits of ArcadeVGA video card. Very nice guy and helpful to a n00b, would recommend him to anyone, though im sure you all already know this :)

What a coincidence, I spoke to Chris today also. I've got a big blue upright cabinet (TMNT I think) with a crappy 68cm Conia TV running an old TNT2 over s-video and it's blurry to say the least. Chris is going to fix me up with an ArcadeVGA and I'm getting a proper 15Khz dual refresh chassis from Jomac to go with the screen (chuck the old chassis). If you're in Melbourne, pay Chris a visit because he has lots of other gadgets - you won't leave empty handed!

Oh btw this is my first post. Great resource I've stumbled onto here... hope I can contribute back in a small way over time. :)

Welcome samps :) I'm new myself! Helpful isn't he. Yeah, I should be grabbing an ArcadeVGA and some buttons an Ipac from Chris soon :D

What a coincidence, I spoke to Chris today also. I've got a big blue upright cabinet (TMNT I think) with a crappy 68cm Conia TV running an old TNT2 over s-video and it's blurry to say the least. Chris is going to fix me up with an ArcadeVGA and I'm getting a proper 15Khz dual refresh chassis from Jomac to go with the screen (chuck the old chassis). If you're in Melbourne, pay Chris a visit because he has lots of other gadgets - you won't leave empty handed!

Oh btw this is my first post. Great resource I've stumbled onto here... hope I can contribute back in a small way over time. :)

Yeah the IPac is great and Chris is a wealth of knowledge. From the reading I've been doing here too, this is a really chilled out, well moderated forum and that's hard to find these days. I didn't know we had so many old school Mame dudes in Australia!

Feel free to come in and look at the 29" screens running :)

Hey Dorian can you please verify the size of this monitor

You have 27 - 29" 63 cm

27" US = 29" Australian which is 68cm

25" US = 26" Australian which is 63cm

Or is the "63cm" you have on your website a typo ? btw what brand are these ? are they free voltage or 110v only ?

Not wanting to put you guys off the MAME route.. but another option out there is the 48-in-1 PCB's that run all the classic games we all crave. The benifit is that you don't need to use a PC, IPAC or AVGA..

Dorian is selling these to AA members at a great price LINK

Hoops

Hey Dorian can you please verify the size of this monitor

You have 27 - 29" 63 cm

27" US = 29" Australian which is 68cm

25" US = 26" Australian which is 63cm

Or is the "63cm" you have on your website a typo ? btw what brand are these ? are they free voltage or 110v only ?

Hmmm yeah its a typo.... It shits me I cannot just say one size without explaining the US vs Aus difference.

Page 3 of my AA shop has some pictures of the FLAT screen, I also have the fishbowl versions...

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=10502&page=3

The Chassis are not free voltage and have to run of 110v as far as I know, the labels have YATTA or WEI-YA on them.

There are some pictures of the chassis supplied as well...

Standard stuff but it gets the job done nicely and have had fuck all failures.

i personally fit 80mm fans to every chassis I sell in a cabinet or use at work as the heatsinks naturally get hot.

Out of 2 years worth of sales I have had Joey fix one in perth, I fixed one in store, and another from a customer recently.

Never had a tube fail....

I keep around 4 spare chassis per shipment and have never used more than one of them per shipment so far so I think the quality is pretty good for the price.

I also know that Joey has sold dual rez chassis for these tubes as well and has worked quite well....

Joey feel free to add any info you can to help other members understand the tubes and chassis thanks :)

Thanks Dorian , yeah these are what we call 29" monitors here (68cm) .

Had my hopes that you had come across some 26" 63CM tubes like used in most old LAI cabs like TMNT etc .

I know the tube they are suitable for the Dual Res chassis most guys have been using on 68cm TV's .

BTW , Flat Tubes are refered to as PF ( Pure Flat ) not suitable for most older game astro's etc

The one you refer to as fishbowl is SF ( Super Flat ) this is standard curved Tube used in most games including astro city etc.