Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Combining RGB and Sync to make a composite signal for B&W

taito

Question

Combining RGB and Sync to make a composite signal for B&W.

I gave up trying to fix the Jatre specter pcb and my friend and I agreed a multi-game pcb was the best way to go.

Pretty staight forward. His table has a standard 15.75Khz b&w monitor. B&W has only two wires.. signal and GND. Not something you do every day.... combine RGB and Sync to make a composite signal.

I just put a resister inline of each of RGB and sync...330 ohms.. then tying them together before sending them to the monitor.

Anyone have a better idea or can find fault.. love to hear it. Got a good picture.

:p

20191208_153152.jpg

20191208_235536.jpg

To save the resistors from busting up over time, I put them on a pcb.

20191208_163727.jpg

Edited by taito

6 answers to this question

There are a few old Sony IC's that will take RGB in and spit out Y/C or Composite Video. This is the first one that came up:

https://console5.com/techwiki/images/f/fb/CXA1145PM.pdf

You really only need Luma though, if the image is black-and-white to begin with. So you can stop there :) Admittedly i've never used one of these, but they look like they'd do the job.

Or if you can find schematics for any of the homemade RGB to Component converters they'll do the trick as well. Zebidee had some on here, and Mikechi has some on the Shmups forum - i think he just adds C-sync into the Y line, but coming out of an LM1881 so it's buffered. Again you will only want the Y output in any case.

Sony CXA2075 is a better choice, more modern version of the 1145 and requires fewer external components. As suggested you could either use the composite output or just use the Luma output from s-video. Edited by Frank_fjs

Thanks for those suggestions guys!

I didnt know they existed!

I was hoping for some feedback on the design and a bit of a discussion maybe... I figured the concern with my design might have been whether it would continue to opperate, or detroy sonething in time because of no coupling cap as you see a lot on b&w designs.. also this..I'm assuming the jama edge connectir of the multi outputs ttl. Apparently ttl can sink up to 16mA.

So my design falls within safe operating levels. V=IR

Vmax = 5V Resitance pathway to any ttl ouput is 33Ohm so current is 15mA max. But the signal hovers between 2 and 3.5volts most of the time. Even lower during retrace times.

That's my reasoning. Happy to hear other people opinions on this. ;)

Edited by taito

will your friend sell the Jatre specter invaders board ?

I have 2 here both dead , maybe i can get one working again.

You'll have to indicate how much you are willing to pay, I'll ask him, but not likely. :)

Update: I asked and he's not wanting to part with his board.

Edited by taito