Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Humming noise from new coils

DoubleDragon

Question

Hi Guys,

Have a Revolution X Arcade machine that I converted to play Terminator 2, however I discovered 2 of the 3 guns coils for the rattler(when you fire the gun) were cooked and it blew 2 of my fuses. The other guns coil as working fine. I found a place selling the Bally Midway coils (Part number: AE-23-800-08) and decided to replace all 3 incase I ever mange to find a working Rev X board in the future.

However now as soon as the machine is turned on the coils make a loud hum noise. They are definitely wired up correctly as I made sure the wires off the old ones went on the same way. I checked the ohms resistance on the old working one and new working one and I think they were both giving around 4.7Ohms (the cooked ones were reading 1.6 Ohms)

One thing I did notice is that the new coils seem quite a bit thicker, which I'm guessing means it has a lot more turns of wire on it? Could the fact they have more turns of wire be the cause of the buzzing/hum noise?

3 answers to this question

Yeah think you might be on the right track about the transistors being stuffed, the coils should be off unless something is happening(I think) and when I look at the coil with the case off they are full on(plunger is pulled in all the way).

Possibly the transistors on the old Rev X board killed 2 of the coils, but this has a Terminator 2 board replacement... so I think the cooked coils killed the transistors this time when I plugged it in and it blew fuses.

The main transistors are TIP102, can't find any at jaycar so going to have to order some in I think :(