Thread: CrossCode - think Chrono Trigger on meth

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    476 Post(s)

CrossCode - think Chrono Trigger on meth

A short time ago I stumbled onto another title i'd recommend - CrossCode by Radical Fish Games. The Nintendo Switch port is coming out soon, so I thought I’d better get around to posting about it before it becomes, like, on trend or something

Basically CrossCode is what it looks like, an updated 16-bit action RPG like Secret of Mana – I like to think of it as Chrono Trigger on meth. The game is very slick and polished, but also on edge, hyped up to the nines. I won’t bother propounding the game-within-a-game story-within-a-story cliché everything hangs from, though I have no particular beef with it… except perhaps that it’s a single-player simulation of an MMO, and as such it feels so busy, so frenetic and jittery. You get eyeblinks of lore and plot and upgrades and skills and elements that are like being shown a subliminal flash of the Tokyo subway map and being expected to know your way around. It’s encyclopaedic and overwhelming, though I will admit it shades into merely wikipedic and involving with time. Before leaving the Rookie Harbour lobby area I had amassed a dozen or so multipart fetch/kill/inspect quests and was getting a nervous tic just trying to keep track. The game helps you do that, but even so.

(EDIT: i changed the video as the game's official trailer makes it looks like it's hectic combat 24/7, and it's really not.)

Melee combat is pretty fun, though at the same time pretty disorganised. I’m not the biggest fan of the ranged combat however, and the control style. I do like that diving into the quick-menu to use items or buffs pauses the game though, it takes the pressure right off. The game also seems to have weird difficultly spikes. From four easy steps in a quest to a fifth completely impossible one at current stats, for example. There are difficulty sliders, but they don't always seem to help. These are hard walls, but you have to grind up against them to make sure.

Everything seems to level out a bit, or just level up, in time though. I’ve found myself sticking with it, coming back for more, and there’s definitely a lot of good points about the game. Those can be seen in the video; in that regard the game does what it says on the tin

The one burr that tickles my craw is the control system, and the fact you cannot rebind your controller. The game needs twin sticks , which I personally hate, and a d-pad all at the same time. Or a mouse and keyboard, which I also hate for indie games. I play while chilling in front of the TV, using an arcade stick, and now I have to have a wireless mouse handy for ranged combat - switching between melee and aiming is a bit frustrating. You can rebind the keyboard controls, but that’s no help to me. If anyone knows how to hide a controller's inputs from a particular program, please let me know.

There’s a free demo if you want to give the game a go - http://www.cross-code.com/en/home
    Last edited by buttersoft; 5 Days Ago at 11:34 AM.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    476 Post(s)

Bump - updated the video because the official trailer for the game is absurd.

Thread Information