Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

412-1 ELF joystick and most buttons not working (only P1/P2 Start & S1 work)

JimD

Question

Just creating a new multicade with a JAMMA 412-1 ELF PCB and I connect 'everything' and it starts up 'fine', I can hit the S1 test button to go into setup mode ok (so that button works). AND in test mode I can see that Player 1 - START (PIN 17) and Player 2 - START (PIN U) work fine but none of my other buttons (I have 3 P1 buttons - PINS 22-24, NO P2 buttons) connected as well as the P1 joystick (PIN 18-21) - NO P2 joystick.

I also have a trackball connected and that works fine (through a trackball cable connected directly to the PCB) - that is how I am able to navigate the menus since the joystick doesn't work.

The Joystick, 5 buttons (Player 1 Button 1-3, P1 start, P2 start) are all grounded with a daisy chain ground that starts at the two start buttons that work, then to the 3 P1 buttons then to the joystick. I've tried reversing the grounds to see if there is a problem in the daisy chain - nope...

I have made sure the microswitches are connected ok AND I've even swapped the microswitch from the working P1 Start button with the P1 buttons and no difference.

Now, I have NOT connected the PIN 28/F ground wires to ANYTHING... (and I haven't done anything with PIN 27/E which are supposed to be Buttons 6). But if that were the issue, WHY would the two start buttons work???

Any advice here?

thank you!

3 answers to this question

Yep, as Narf said, if pin 27 parts or solder side are grounded, it causes issues. It basically makes button 6 permanently active and causes these multi boards to s**t themselves in the menus. Its like trying to navigate a menu whilst holding button 6 permanently simultaneously.

In any case, you stated that pin 27 doesnt have any wiring on your JAMMA harness, so no concern there.

Pin 28 parts and solder side are ground on multi board harness, like a normal JAMMA . Was a bit confused by saying its not connected to anything yet. Are the pins just vacated on harness?

With grounds, ive always liked to tie them all together. If anything, just run a wire from Pin 28 (top and bottom side) over to Pin 1+2 to tie all grounds together.

Maybe some photos of your wiring could help . Pictures are worth 1000 words :D

Ive never played with trackballs with multi boards. Out of interest, if you disconnect the cable for it, does it change whether the joystick works?

Also, do you have another JAMMA pcb you can test in your cab?

Thank you for the advice on PIN 28 and tying it together with the other grounds... I will do that ( at some point :) ) What I meant about the 28/F ground was that the JAMMA connector has a wire that obviously connects to 28/F but I don't have that black ground wire connected to ANYTHING. I will do what you said but I wasn't thinking THAT was why the buttons / joystick were not working... sure enough it wasn't...

BUT I FIXED IT!!!!! And of course as just about every other thread I've read about buttons not working it was a ground issue of course...

I determined that the daisy chain ground wires had a break somewhere from the 2nd connector in the chain to the 3rd. So I just cut out the 3rd connector all together and attached the remaining daisy chain of grounds to the point where I knew it worked.

And yes, pictures are worth 1,000 words and I was saying that the entire time I was writing the original thread but got lazy - apologies...

BUT from the better late than never department and for future readers with button / joystick issues, I have attached a few photos of my setup.

The first one shows the back of my control panel. You can see the trackball and how it's connected. It's a separate connector that doesn't rely on the ground daisy chain so that's why it worked.

IMG_4431.thumb.jpg.36a129b196a3bcb3f2da42b88306f142.jpg

Then you can see the mess that is the JAMMA harness that I have grouped the wires into bundles. I also highlighted where the trackball plugs into on this unit. Very simple.

IMG_4430.thumb.jpg.ea661daafcbdab4848394b4bd6066b49.jpg

Finally, you can see how I simply fixed the daisy chain. I will of course wrap this with electrical tape but this shows the 2 Player Start buttons (that worked) and somewhere after the second ground and before the 4th in the daisy chain there was a break. So I just cut out the 3rd ground connector and it all works great now.

IMG_4441.thumb.jpg.47889acdbb8abb2d27369465a2b2e373.jpg