Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mirco taking pre orders on ij playfields

pinball god

I’m no clearcoat expert, so feel free to correct me, but I think the clear takes a long time to set hard.

I bought a CPR playfield a while ago, the box had been crushed in transport & the box was pressed against the middle of playfield. It had left a hand sized flat spot, looked like someone had sanded it with 1200 grit sandpaper.

I was furious & contacted our local CPR rep. He told me it would go away after a week.

I couldn’t believe it, after 48 hrs it was 100% gone. Perfect finish.

So the clearcoat was still somewhat fluid & if left untouched would return to a flawless finish.

So my advice to new playfield owners is to resist installing it asap.

Waiting 6-12 months may reduce dimples & pooling.

I know this doesn’t really help NIB machines though.... ie. don’t play your JP LE for 12 months... unlikely!

It's hard to tell with 2 pac clear coats these days, so much variants and the substrate it's being used on.

I use a 10:1 express clear. Mega shine and cures very quickly.

2 pac cures from chemical reaction, which is sped up with heat.

Heat ironically I don't recommend on Playfields, due to the different substrates reacting to the heat (shrinkage / expansion etc)

I have noticed some repro playfields are soft, but this could be also the less mature wood. I.e. dimples can be from the wood being indented as well as the clear, but factory clears I would not expect to be thick enough, so would suspect it's the wood.

I won't cut and buff playfields I do until a week later, and suggest best to leave for a 4 weeks, but with the near clear I've been using (last year and a bit) not so much the case any more.