Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Google Stadia... will it be a game changer or a flop?

Just found out about Google Stadia from another thread and found it an interesting read. Google are basically gonna compete with PC gaming and consoles and offer a streaming gaming service like Netflix and others do with movies.

If online streaming made video hire obsolete, could Stadia make PC gaming and consoles obsolete or can they all live together? Or will it flop?

The comments section has mixed views.

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/everything-we-know-about-google-stadia/

Thoughts?

Just found out about Google Stadia from another thread and found it an interesting read. Google are basically gonna compete with PC gaming and consoles and offer a streaming gaming service like Netflix and others do with movies.

If online streaming made video hire obsolete, could Stadia make PC gaming and consoles obsolete or can they all live together? Or will it flop?

The comments section has mixed views.

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/everything-we-know-about-google-stadia/

Thoughts?

All I can say is more sleepiless nights for you mate. Up playing to the wee hours no doubt

Google did the Taxi industry wonders didn't it?. Google is simply getting to big and as always when a company gets to big, they acquire what was good, cut funding to it and let it die. Competition is gone and you have no choice but to except the 2nd rate product that only the big company has to offer.

Google did the Taxi industry wonders didn't it?. Google is simply getting to big and as always when a company gets to big, they acquire what was good, cut funding to it and let it die. Competition is gone and you have no choice but to except the 2nd rate product that only the big company has to offer.

You would really enjoy the game The Outer Worlds :)

So their intention is to stop good? I'm confused.

its a spin on how gaming currently works

people spend loads buying pc or console hardware. with the stadia model, the workhorse is at the google end, and you are just streaming the game, meaning all you need is high quality internet, and your end device can be cheap

the issue is how they will deal with latency from both a comms and input point of view

Edited by bwodie

Aaaaaaand right there is why Google will struggle to get many aussie customers on their shiny new streaming service.

Yeah, not sure if we are their target audience, I guess they don't really get a choice, as you alluded too haha

I mean.. when Netflix etc came out, Australia couldn't take advantage of that, so it may only be a matter of time if/when they pull this off. If they choose the right type of games to start with, it could be pretty accessible, but I can't see FPS working from day dot.

Saying that, its Google, so i'm sure they can innovate whatever they can imagine.

Thats what Im thinking as well

Some good points regarding that in this video

At 10:20 he mentions lag but someone in the PC gamer article I linked to said this about Googles servers. If true, would this make any difference?

"i don't expect big issues on the network front.

Google won't be using the public WWW but its own private backbone network that all its server is connected on think of this like a private lane for you to pass tru the trafic..

So its will be from your home to your providers and your providers to google and thats its.

Right now its from your home to the providers and then its piggy back on WWW."

Surprised MJR didn't call it a "hidden gem". Everything else is!

And from all accounts Stadia sounds like an absolute trainwreck. No concrete pricing information, vague hand-waving promises around functionality (negative latency what now?), a real lack of any kind of decent launch titles, heavy reliance on people having solid internet connections, and Google's whole "support it for 6 months and if it doesn't work, abandon it" philosophy make it a hard sell. Even the controller's gone from "wireless anywhere anytime!" to "will require you to plug it in at certain times"...

I think it's inevitable that we'll go down this route though at some point, so in some ways Google get the joys of going first and weathering the storm - given things like Microsoft XCloud are also out there, I'd be shocked if the next XBox and PS5 aren't using some sort of streaming content delivery service for games at some point post launch.

I like to own a hard copy of a game eg a disc or a cartridge. I refuse to have digital copies of games and will just stick with the older consoles if this is my only option. I will go down with the sinking ship if I have to.

Sent from my AGM A8 using Tapatalk

Brace for it then - Digital/Game Pass style setups are definitely going to feature massively in our gaming future. I for one don't mind it, especially as I'm lucky to have FTTP NBN and can get a full game in a short space of time. It also means far less clutter taking up space!

Not to mention that Xbox Game Pass is amazing. Definitely happy I picked it up, and means I'll play stuff that I wouldn't have otherwise as a result!

No matter what magic they use its going to be pretty laggy.

I can stream games on my Lan to a computer that is only a few meters away from me and the input delay is very noticeable. The picture quality isn't as good as the native computer but you can't fault it. I can comfortably play certain types of games like this but some are just unplayable.

I think not just in Australia but overall the stadia is going to be a pretty big flop, just like that steambox thing.