Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

SF Alpha 3, my favorite in the entire Street Fighter Franchise

VGE

I suck at SF 2. Always have, even when I really try to buckle down and get into it. To this day a competent SF 2 player will just tear me apart in a match. It just felt too different compared to the King of Fighters, which has always been my favorite franchise.

SF Alpha 3 is a totally different story. I may not be amazing, but I certainly don't suck and I enjoy my time with it sooooo much more than 2 or even 3.

I'd be curious to hear others thoughts though. Am I just totally wrong? lol

I like the way you started that with some honest self assessment ! Although that's always relative to the next guy anyway (who might suck more!)

I owned an alpha 3 board and sold it onto someone here I think. I liked the animation style which was totally different to the precisely drawn SF2 (WW, CE, HF, SSF2 & SSF2T) style. Similarly the PS3 SF2 turbo HD remix is a great game in the animation styling and the fact that it's so customizable (in effect you could say it's a hybrid between the two games you're discussing)

Edited by Mick80

SFA/Z3 was ambitious as hell for the time. While I still think Alpha/Zero 2 is the best entry of the three prequel games (and my personal fav!), 3 was amazing in the same way that SF4 is regarded as an incredibly popular title. Sure helped that it had an enormous roster of characters who all had their own look and style, 3 different systems to pick from, air blocking, multiple recovery options and the way the arcade mode changed your opponents based on who you were using. It also had some insane exploits as a result - go look up videos on SFZ3 infinite combos and see how genuinely broken the V-ISM system is!

Similarly the PS3 SF2 turbo HD remix is a great game in the animation styling and the fact that it's so customizable (in effect you could say it's a hybrid between the two games you're discussing)

You know, that version really upset a whole lot of people. Check out Idle Thumbs' Designer Notes ep41 for an interview with the SSF2HD dev on how it came to be, and the dangers of "messing" with stuff that people are familiar with.

It takes ages to get good at a single game (when your playing against a real person) and the newer fighting games are just more layered/complicated so it's no surprise that players get hooked on one format. I've taken decades to move on from the originals and something like Alpha 3 I haven't even come close to being good at yet.:huh:

I like the way you started that with some honest self assessment ! Although that's always relative to the next guy anyway (who might suck more!)

I owned an alpha 3 board and sold it onto someone here I think. I liked the animation style which was totally different to the precisely drawn SF2 (WW, CE, HF, SSF2 & SSF2T) style. Similarly the PS3 SF2 turbo HD remix is a great game in the animation styling and the fact that it's so customizable (in effect you could say it's a hybrid between the two games you're discussing)

Yes I had to state early I suck at SF 2, so my explanation of the Alpha series being my favorite mechanically would make more sense.

Still to this day SF eludes me, where I can pick up the newest KOF game, pick my go to characters, and be 50% of the way to being "good" in a few matches

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I had to state early I suck at SF 2, so my explanation of the Alpha series being my favorite mechanically would make more sense.

Still to this day SF eludes me, where I can pick up the newest KOF game, pick my go to characters, and be 50% of the way to being "good" in a few matches

SFA/Z3 was ambitious as hell for the time. While I still think Alpha/Zero 2 is the best entry of the three prequel games (and my personal fav!), 3 was amazing in the same way that SF4 is regarded as an incredibly popular title. Sure helped that it had an enormous roster of characters who all had their own look and style, 3 different systems to pick from, air blocking, multiple recovery options and the way the arcade mode changed your opponents based on who you were using. It also had some insane exploits as a result - go look up videos on SFZ3 infinite combos and see how genuinely broken the V-ISM system is!

You know, that version really upset a whole lot of people. Check out Idle Thumbs' Designer Notes ep41 for an interview with the SSF2HD dev on how it came to be, and the dangers of "messing" with stuff that people are familiar with.

Thanks for that link Darkjedi, I'm still looking forward to checking it out when I get some elusive 'spare time'

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, yes I understand. Have you played the SF 30th Anniversary version of Alpha 3 on PS4? If so, how do you think it compares to arcade?

Drive time is my podcast time. Makes it far less painful!

What a great idea. I've never thought about that! I do a fair but of distance driving to visit family, never thought of loading up some gaming podcasts.

A friend of mine listens to audiobooks on long distance drives, swears by that.

Better put some SF content in to be relavent to the thread :) if you were putting together a street fighter cab (i am doing this at the moment) what are the must-haves on the system ? I've never played these fighters, though I was a big fan of the Tekken series on the PS1 and Killer Instinct on the snes.

That was a great podcast. I hadn't heard of Sirlin before but after that I really respect the guy and now appreciate SSF2HD remix even more. I think it's a terrific game and I'm generally more a SF2WW/CE player. Cheers.

What a great idea. I've never thought about that! I do a fair but of distance driving to visit family, never thought of loading up some gaming podcasts.

A friend of mine listens to audiobooks on long distance drives, swears by that.

Better put some SF content in to be relavent to the thread :) if you were putting together a street fighter cab (i am doing this at the moment) what are the must-haves on the system ? I've never played these fighters, though I was a big fan of the Tekken series on the PS1 and Killer Instinct on the snes.

I have to admit that I hadn't thought of gaming pod casts while driving either. Passed the time we'll!

Are you planning on running original hardware or mame for your cab?

I have a PS4 with street fighter 30th anniversary (gives you 12 games on 1 disc) wired the joysticks through a Brooks encoder (zero lag) to a 50" LCD. You can then also play tekken 7, mortal kombat etc.

Must haves; IMO;

SF2 champion edition

Super Street fighter 2 turbo (comp game)

SSFIV

SFV (comp game)

Edited by Mick80

if you were putting together a street fighter cab (i am doing this at the moment) what are the must-haves on the system ? I've never played these fighters, though I was a big fan of the Tekken series on the PS1 and Killer Instinct on the snes.

If you can find a reasonably priced CPS2 A/B set, I'd do that and grab a Darksoft CPS2 multi - gives you all three SF Alpha/Zero games, SSF2, Gem Fighters (one of those 'forgotten gems' in Capcom's back catalogue!), Dark Stalkers and more. Likewise, SF3: Third Strike is amazing but definitely is a big shift from the traditional SF games we've been talking about so far. The change in animation style, plus parry system really threw people a loop - but it's still very well regarded, and worth playing if you've never touched it.

Otherwise Street Fighter 2: CE or Hyper Fighting would be my picks for a CRT-based cab. If I had a modern LCD cab, then as Mick said SFIV is the easiest choice hands down. Massive roster, plays a lot like Alpha/Zero 3 but a little less unbalanced (as in there's no V-ISM or infinite combos!).

I have to admit that I hadn't thought of gaming pod casts while driving either. Passed the time we'll!

Are you planning on running original hardware or mame for your cab?

I have a PS4 with street fighter 30th anniversary (gives you 12 games on 1 disc) wired the joysticks through a Brooks encoder (zero lag) to a 50" LCD. You can then also play tekken 7, mortal kombat etc.

Must haves; IMO;

SF2 champion edition

Super Street fighter 2 turbo (comp game)

SSFIV

SFV (comp game)

Far as the hardware goes for the cab it is a raspberry Pi3 B+ running retropie and Advmame. The SF games I've tested on it so far all run perfectly including Street Fighter Alpha versions.

@darkjedi it will be an LCD cab, I prefer CRT hands-down in cabs but this particular cab (low profile) doesn't have the room for a CRT. I'll checkout SFIV too then, cheers :)

Far as the hardware goes for the cab it is a raspberry Pi3 B+ running retropie and Advmame. The SF games I've tested on it so far all run perfectly including Street Fighter Alpha versions.

@darkjedi it will be an LCD cab, I prefer CRT hands-down in cabs but this particular cab (low profile) doesn't have the room for a CRT. I'll checkout SFIV too then, cheers :)

You'll need to hook up a PC or 360/PS3 for SFIV. The Pi won't have remotely enough grunt to drive it sadly!