Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Anycubic I3 Mega 3D Printer. 3D Printer Newbie Experience.

• Administrators

This is just a continuation of the discussion in Franks thread HERE in which I outlined why I chose this as my first 3D Printer over more popular brands like the Creality Ender 3.

Here's a reply I made on a you tube video summing it up.

I just bought a i3 Mega off ebay for 291 AUD the Standard Ender 3 (not pro) is around $289 The i3 Mega is far better value for money considering its out of box performance, all the extra's you get like 1 kg of filament, tools spare hotend etc

Being my first printer I couldn't justify buying the Ender 3 where every review the first thing people talk about is 101 mods just to get it printing well...just doesn't make sense.

Review

Prices HERE (as of 11/11/2019)

This is for the Upgrade version with Ultrabase not to be confused with the new model called I3 Mega-S. The version I bought can be easily upgraded to the S with a kit that costs $35 also listed in the link above.

Video explaining Ultrabase

Upgrading to the Mega-S

IMG_20191111_160259.thumb.jpg.5859e7aa2c77fd3e71397f497b97e786.jpg IMG_20191111_160311.thumb.jpg.adb00cd44d260367a0b184bd63991fa9.jpg

Boxes with opened upgrade kit on right.

IMG_20191111_160546.thumb.jpg.c09977543d1294e8e61336d28867731f.jpg IMG_20191111_160701.thumb.jpg.89ce305f98da9e975a2683ea8623046e.jpg

Look at all the stuff you get!

IMG_20191111_160724.thumb.jpg.c5d004ce69b26c920ef2473d28847bf8.jpg

1KG of White PLA.

Pretty much everything you need to get going.

I bought this on the 7th are arrived today (11th) I can't fault the Ebay seller 10/10

Now I know I said I wanted something that would print well straight out of the box however I did find one upgrade that will significantly reduce the noise of the steppers, this is achieved by replacing the drivers with TMC2208's. Since I haven't assembled the machine yet I'll wait to see if the upgraded arrives before the weekend, if not I'll assemble it and post me first prints etc.

Noisy steppers and fans are pretty common for all cheap printers.

You can grab them off Ebay HERE

Good comparison and install video

*IMPORTANT* Apparently there is a 8 bit version of the board and a newer 32bit

The above upgrade will only work with the 8 bit board with Atmel chip ATMEGA2560-16U

I pulled mine apart this afternoon and thank god its the 8 bit one where the upgrade can be done.

IMG_20191112_141335.thumb.jpg.f68c0dd912c7a04d10935c49b2794b7e.jpg

More to come!

Edited by Arcade King

I have to find somewhere to put it first....The Mrs didn't appreciate me putting it on the table......I've pretty much run out of room for my hoard of crap.

I have discussed with my Missus how the "Kitchen Bench" is a totally legit work bench for pinball or electronic works....once I recovered consciousness, I removed all items off the bench :o

• Like 1

• Administrators

Ha!

Yeah going to play it safe guys, I'll settle for reading the manual for now.

My daughter has been living with her boyfriend for the past year so I'm slowing claiming her room for myself :lol I think a 3D printer would make a nice addition to her furniture ;)

• Administrators

IMG_20191112_162400.thumb.jpg.e493aec3456b1c6dbf27d3d19038648d.jpg

It's gonna happen!

I've also updated my original post. I found out extra information about the quiet driver update. Apparently there is an older 8 bit and new 32 bit revision of the main board. Only the 8 bit ones work with the mod I mentioned. First thing I did was check mine and luckily it was the 8 bit version.

Edited by Arcade King

I nearly pulled the trigger right up to paying for one until I saw usd$ and then did the conversion. About $323 for the S model. Still a good price but not $229. So if I can't get my cocoon one going again I'll go the anycube chiron and quadruple my build size rather than just doubling. Should be able to get them for around $550.

But still very interested to see how @Arcade King goes and thinks of his mega 3. Good luck with it mate and happy printing

• Administrators

Well its doing something....100% stock settings with no supports.

IMG_20191112_181844.thumb.jpg.d87d01ae8a795c6bebca765915abd9a2.jpg

Doing the obligatory boat benchy lol oh dear. It will be interesting to see how it goes specially on this wobbly fold out table. :redface It's a lot quieter than expected.

I'm not sure if the bed level is right, I followed the instructions but it seems tight in the middle. Also lesson learned, always keep paper under nozzle to avoid marking your base :b.

When I get my drivers I found some custom firmware that looks impressive https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3249319 especially the Mesh Bed Leveling.

Woohoo, I thought I'd have to wait until the weekend for you to dig in and share some info about this printer.

May I ask:

Print speed

Nozzle temp?

Bed temp?

Did you print with adhesion?

I'd recommend printing on a raft, and maybe your nozzle temp is too high, thus the stringing.

That's a great first print. Glad to see you enjoying it. Next step will be learning design software and fabricating your own useful parts.

I'm printing the same file now, mind if I post a pic here once it's finished?

• Administrators

200 nozzle

60 bed

50 print speed

No adhesion, I guess their patent "ultrabase" does as advertised. Once the bed cooled down the model came off with no scraper and little effort.

Post away mate, it's only fair considering I spammed your thread lol.

This is a lot of fun.

• Administrators

After further thinking on the matter I seriously believe the bed is warped in the center. Looks like this may be a common problem :unsure or I just got unlucky. Seeing as mine is the older version I upgraded to S I'm hoping the problem has been resolved, regardless I'm going to hit them up for another bed.

One solution seems to be upgrading to the custom 1.1.9 firmware which I'll do this afternoon.

Many people have issues getting the Ultrabase leveled perfectly, using Manual Mesh Bed Leveling the printer generates a mesh of the flatness of the bed and compensates for it on the Z-axis for perfect prints without having to level with the screws.

I'll check my Z axis this afternoon however all corners were fine it was just in the middle I had issues.

Found a good video on how mesh leveling works.

Edited by Arcade King

I don't have adhesion issues but still prefer printing with a raft. Prints are pretty much guaranteed to come out perfectly so no time or filament wasted, and it prevents warping on the first crucial layers due to the heat of the bed. I like the textured finish the raft provides and it snaps off cleanly and easily, no fuss.

I don't have adhesion issues but still prefer printing with a raft. Prints are pretty much guaranteed to come out perfectly so no time or filament wasted, and it prevents warping on the first crucial layers due to the heat of the bed. I like the textured finish the raft provides and it snaps off cleanly and easily, no fuss.

Good to know will give it a try when next I print

• Administrators

Installed the custom firmware which is just so much better. The mesh leveling should be standard! I'm still going to hit them up for a replacement bed.

Currently printed the test file that comes with the printer which is called His and Her Owls

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18879