Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Railways leg brackets

Hi All,

Just wanted to check if anyone has installed these with decals. I've been told they might be able to go on over the decals rather than cutting the decal away underneath. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,

Andy

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Just wanted to check if anyone has installed these with decals. I've been told they might be able to go on over the decals rather than cutting the decal away underneath. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,

Andy

We generally cut the decal away so there is a 1-2mm gap around the edge therefore minimising any chance of leg movement transferrance.

happy of course to see what other people are doing. Paging Kurt to aisle 3.

We generally cut the decal away so there is a 1-2mm gap around the edge therefore minimising any chance of leg movement transferrance.

Thanks Jeff

Railways leg brackets

So Jeff you cut the decal completely off around the new leg bracket? My Creech ones are all screwed up around the leg from movement but the rest of the side art is mint so i don’t know what to do lol. Could you post a pic for idiots like me lol. I’d still like to do what Edy mentioned bit of heat and straighten out but in two minds.

I will get some off you to if there in stock :)

So Jeff you cut the decal completely off around the new leg bracket? My Creech ones are all screwed up around the leg from movement but the rest of the side art is mint so i don’t know what to do lol. Could you post a pic for idiots like me lol. I’d still like to do what Edy mentioned bit of heat and straighten out but in two minds.

I will get some off you to if there in stock :)

This is my method;

Basically with the leg off you offer the cab protector up to the cab and put the two leg bolts back in so you can centre the bracket around those holes.

Trace around the edge of the protector with pencil, fine texta.

remove 2 x legbolts and protector and go around the outside of the marked line adding 1 - 2mm. I use a sharp hobby knife and metal ruler placed on the art you want to keep to help any stray cutting.

Peel away decal towards the cab corner.

Offer up the protector to the corner and ensue you now have a tiny 1-2mm gap away from existing art. centre legbolt holes as before , predrill the 4 mount holes, remove protective plastic covering on our leg protectors and then screw protector on.

repeat that process another 3 times,

This is my method;

Basically with the leg off you offer the cab protector up to the cab and put the two leg bolts back in so you can centre the bracket around those holes.

Trace around the edge of the protector with pencil, fine texta.

remove 2 x legbolts and protector and go around the outside of the marked line adding 1 - 2mm. I use a sharp hobby knife and metal ruler placed on the art you want to keep to help any stray cutting.

Peel away decal towards the cab corner.

Offer up the protector to the corner and ensue you now have a tiny 1-2mm gap away from existing art. centre legbolt holes as before , predrill the 4 mount holes, remove protective plastic covering on our leg protectors and then screw protector on.

repeat that process another 3 times,

Awesome thank you :) next question lol do I pm you to order Metal leg protectors?

Awesome thank you :) next question lol do I pm you to order Metal leg protectors?

Yes please sir. Just tell me what game you want them for and I'll see what I've got on hand. They are $50 a set including a 16 pack of stainless screws.

My personal way I am doing them now...

1. Decal cab

2. I put some thin double sided tape on the back of the protector or if cab on its side just loose.

3. Leg bolts in to line up

4. Check they are not proud of the bottom if they are trim with kerf blade on my grinder so the are up at least 1mm off the bottom.

5. Mark screw hole centres with a sharp point tool as a pre drill hole

6. Depending on leg colour I am now etching and painting black so you don't see the edge if a black leg/decal combo. Leave and clean with metho if chrome legs.

7. Screw bracket on - do one face first. I go over decal.

8. Scalpel about 1-2mm off around plate while on. Steady hand required...

9. Black out cut area with sharpie.

10. I put loop velcro (or 1 - 1.5mm felt) now on the protector so legs aren't scratched on the back. Cut and shaped to suit.

11 Legs on and I use the bolt washers in appropriate colour from pinball life. I also add a smidge of antiseize on the leg bolts and levellers these days.

Found Jeff's to be the best for all eras - there are knock off/copies floating around from Mexico that are the wrong thickness...beware.

Also the shop ones are way too thin.

Another tip from my motorbike days - silicone spray on chrome and gentle wipe - preserves beautifully. Found Nulon brand in red tin to be the best

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jeff and Kurt.

I started using Jeff's method and it's going ok. I know it's a pretty straight forward job but I'm still crapping myself anytime I have the knife near the decals.

Kurt's method is definitely going the full distance. Unfortunately I don't have everything listed and I have to get this cab on legs today. Ray had done a great job with the decals.

Edit: I didn't get these protectors directly from railways and it turns out they are not actually for a WPC machine. The protectors should go nearly all the way to the bottom of the cab to protect the cab properly. The rear ones ended up also being too long for my cab. The product is great and very good quality. Just make sure if you use them that they are for the correct cab [emoji16]

Thankfully the screw holes should line up ok so I'll be picking up the right set and swapping them over

240c8be62915550f2925901e39251583.jpg1d0038c6338d2d9e7da241a72a6072ef.jpg1b8b456f4b1f13dd96a6e08b5d080919.jpgf4eb411c82c19598c3fdc624aa9cb63d.jpgfb5dbf999c15c7ff64c0347573dbc895.jpg

Edited by Andyj965

Edit: I didn't get these protectors directly from railways and it turns out they are not actually for a WPC machine. The protectors should go nearly all the way to the bottom of the cab to protect the cab properly. The rear ones ended up also being too long for my cab. The product is great and very good quality. Just make sure if you use them that they are for the correct cab

My fault Andy,

I gave you Bally SS ones :redface

I know you have this now in hand.

My apologies for the extra work.

Ray

Keep reaching out to grab the front of that cab to stop it teetering off the trolley. looks like it's sitting to far back and it's scaring me.

Beautiful job btw.

If the cab wasn't empty i'd be more careful but as it is it's sitting nicely on the trolley :) It has come up very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I didn't get these protectors directly from railways and it turns out they are not actually for a WPC machine. The protectors should go nearly all the way to the bottom of the cab to protect the cab properly. The rear ones ended up also being too long for my cab. The product is great and very good quality. Just make sure if you use them that they are for the correct cab

My fault Andy,

I gave you Bally SS ones :redface

I know you have this now in hand.

My apologies for the extra work.

Ray

No need to apologise Ray. You did an awesome job