Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sovol SV01 3D Printer

That's pretty much it.

There's pros and cons for each type of extrusion however I'm prefering direct drive. Perfect extrusion from start to finish so no stringy bits scattered throughout your print when filament jams up as it does on Bowden extruders.

Direct extruders also work better with flexible filaments, which is a huge benefit.

The downside is the weight is on the extruder itself which limits speed and requires a sturdier frame, but a good printer designed for direct extrusion will compensate with a rigid frame. Speed isn't an issue for me as printing too fast regardless of extruder type always leads to problems, so better off printing slower for more consistent and blemish free prints.

• Administrators
When you compare the price of a Ender 3 HERE $269.00 just for the base model which is something I considered the two me and Frank linked are far superior straight out of the box in every way. I know people gravitate towards the Ender 5 and 10 for the great community support however the turn off for me was every video and review I watched always talk about a bazillion and 1 mods just to get them printing nice and I don't have the time to mess around with mods for hours.

For 3k it would want to be! lol

Just a heads up Gearbest is having a flash sale on the ANYCUBIC I3 Mega-S which is the upgraded version of the one I bought, they were almost $400 on ebay

I would have grabbed this instead If I knew. Would have saved me some extra tinkering to install the upgrade kit.

https://au.gearbest.com/3d-printers--3d-printer-kits/pp_3007771659822730.html?wid=2000001#goodsDetail

@Arcade King is this what purchased except it wasn't the s model and is this a good price? Thanks

My wife just stuffed up my aldi one without telling me a few weeks ago. Tried to print and it was blocked, cleaned it and still stuffed so thinking of going one of these

• Administrators
@Arcade King is this what purchased except it wasn't the s model and is this a good price? Thanks

My wife just stuffed up my aldi one without telling me a few weeks ago. Tried to print and it was blocked, cleaned it and still stuffed so thinking of going one of these

I got mine from ebay post 21 and bought the upgrade kit separate for $35AUD. I saw the flash sale on Gearbest and posted that just in the off chance somebody might want want the S version cheap ready to go. It still works out slightly cheaper doing the upgrade yourself but not that much.

This printer will be my first and ticks all the boxes for me. Just keep in mind the print size is 210x210x205 so much smaller than the one Frank bought.

I like how its got a touch screen and all the electronics and power supply are in the base plus you get a full kilo of PLA in the box tools and an extra hotend! I'm no 3D printer expert but even I can see that's bloody good value for money.

I should have it early next week.

Edited by Arcade King

IMG20191116135628.thumb.jpg.7ad46d75f07ca8eb51c6a95c16487fa8.jpg

I installed a BL Touch auto levelling device today. Easy upgrade as the SV01 already accounted and provided provisions for it. Basically just screwing it in place, connecting some wires and updating the firmware.

It works really well. You manually level the bed as best you can, then let the BL Touch do its thing, which is to probe 9 points of the bed, measure distance and adjust accordingly. What this means is it'll adjust the height dynamically and compensate for any unevenness in the bed.

Printing benchy now, not quite done yet, but from a quick glance it's printing better than ever.

Took a while to understand how to configure it as documentation is lacking but once I figured it out it's amazing.

First try resulted in my glass bed having some nice scratches in it now but I've ordered a replacement and won't make the same mistake twice.

I ended up using firmware from TH3D which is based upon the latest Marlin source and a lot better than the firmware from Sovol in regards to the BL Touch device.

It's not an auto leveller as such, more so a device to enable greater accuracy. You manually level the bed by hand to the best of your ability, and then this device measures the distance from the nozzle to the bed across 9 points and uses this information to compensate during a print.

Took a while to understand how to configure it as documentation is lacking but once I figured it out it's amazing.

First try resulted in my glass bed having some nice scratches in it now but I've ordered a replacement and won't make the same mistake twice.

I ended up using firmware from TH3D which is based upon the latest Marlin source and a lot better than the firmware from Sovol in regards to the BL Touch device.

It's not an auto leveller as such, more so a device to enable greater accuracy. You manually level the bed by hand to the best of your ability, and then this device measures the distance from the nozzle to the bed across 9 points and uses this information to compensate during a print.

That's what I thought a bed leveller on say the anycubic does. It's like compensating for the tip throughout the job.

Yeah, they all work the same way. They don't actually physically level the bed for you, they simply can't as the bed is adjusted by hand via mechanical thumb wheels.

What it can do is measure and store distance across various points of the bed and adjust prints on the fly to compensate for any irregularities. Which is super helpful seeing as beds are never 100% level making it impossible to level by hand no matter how good you are at it. A bed might have a slight dip in the middle meaning you can perfectly level all 4 extreme corners but you still don't have a level printing surface. This is where the auto levellers come into play, they can detect a dip in the middle and compensate for it.

• Administrators
That's what I thought a bed leveller on say the anycubic does. It's like compensating for the tip throughout the job.

Yeah with the custom firmware you can use mesh leveling which move the nozzle to 25 places on the bed and use the software to move it up and down instead of the screws.

I scratched my bed because its warped trying to level it the normal way.:realmad:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...