Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Space Shuttle restore - help wanted

Hi Guys, I'm in the process of restoring a space shuttle and having endless headaches. I've just had the boards serviced by Ken and plugged everything back in but appears DOA. The MPU readout is showing an error 7. See video below

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BMvE_kYiKFXF9eYU0Und0dlsyzRE3qqO

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pq2phO8C1f8iL6n3esO6AvdVzGoUeFAw

I have run out of things to check and am utterly stumped. Googling suggests I need to start logic probing which is beyond my rudimentary electronics skills. It's currently setup near the Latrobe Valley.. is there anyone in greater Melbourne who does house calls and would maybe like to point me in the right direction?

First step I would do would be to spray every connector with contact cleaner or isopropyl and give each one multiple reseats to clean the connectors and the pins. Even if the boards are 100% if the connectors haven't been repinned or at the very least inspected and cleaned, you have a large point of failure there.

First step I would do would be to spray every connector with contact cleaner or isopropyl and give each one multiple reseats to clean the connectors and the pins. Even if the boards are 100% if the connectors haven't been repinned or at the very least inspected and cleaned, you have a large point of failure there.

Doesn't hurt to re-bend the females pins either. Takes a couple of seconds to pull a pin, slightly bend it and reinsert. Don't necessarily need to replace a pin just to get a better contact through more friction. Just make sure you clean the surfaces as well. Any signs of heat damage, definitely replace.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I yanked the connectors and gave them a liberal blast with contact cleaner and reseated a few times. It looked like it was going to boot when it made a couple of sounds then there was a puff of smoke around j8 and I killed the power as quickly as I could. I'm kind of terrified I've fried something and not sure if I should be applying power before I figure out where the smoke came from. Asked Ken for suggestions but my gut feeling is there's attention required under the playfield which has had some obviously sloppy repairs. If there's anyone in Melbourne who might want to give me a hand to look this machine over please let me know.. happy to compensate you for your time as required. Thanks again to everyone following this thread !

I just watched your videos, your right flipper coil is locking on when you power it on, that's why your right flipper kicks up when you power the machine. Locking on coils are a very common cause for something to smoke. You never want to leave a machine on with a locked coil.

if you bring it here ill do it but first make sure not stepping on kens toes? what did @Skybeaux say?

ben at rad amusements would go down there but might be cost prohibitive? @Ben Pinball

Be my guest Doug you're not stepping on my toes at all :)

Here's some history..

He first sent me the Cpu board..the cleanest system 9 board i've ever seen...it had a bad solenoid transistor and 7408 chip....along with multiple feature lamp problems..

bad 6821 and 7406 chips etc..

He put it back in the machine and sent me a video of what it was doing....looked like it was going through the diagnostics a million miles an hour..i thought he must have had the ground and

diagnostic plugs back to front but he said no they were right...then the machine just died and wouldn't boot.

He sent all boards this time to check over..nothing unusual with the other boards but the cpu board was damaged...both game and sound roms were dead , a 7404 chip in the diagnostics section was bad ,

and 3 x transistors in the switch section were shorted :unsure...i repaired and tested the board again , and all working good again , told Jordan to check everything...unplug the coin door in case of shorts , check all switches etc..

and now it's booting with a 7 in the led which is a rom fault ??? there's some gremlins in the machine for sure.

Be my guest Doug ..there's some gremlins in the machine for sure.

is there anyone in greater Melbourne who does house calls

Thanks Ken.

jordan it would be cheapest to bring it in. we're in truganina or bayswater. house calls to gippsland etc have pretty crazy callout fees so see if you can arrange it?

Kens done great work but its time to see the actual machine. If you want it fixed feel free to get in touch via http://www.pinballrepairs.com.au contact page or pm here