Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Racing simulator cockpits ( Hyperdrive )

Hi all,

Not really sure where to put this because it can be ( and in my case is ) utilised for arcade racing games, so if a moderator wants to shift it then by all means :)

So i bought a used Hyperdrive Dominator recently, and although it is quite good in some ways, the frame has A LOT of flex, which for me is completely unacceptable.

4 hours of thinking and fabricating later, i got it to a point where im quite happy with it.

Using 41mm unistrut i added bracing from the seat base to the front uprights, then added a piece of 25mm RHS across the front of the wheel mount plate with 10mm threaded rod down to the unistrut braces, making the wheel mount rock solid.

There is minor side flex under extreme forces, however it is certainly now what i consider acceptable, and this flex was seen without a person sitting in the seat, meaning the frame could move on the carpet.

I removed the pedal mounting plate which was on about a 40° angle, honestly have no idea what they were thinking there... it was almost unusable.

I will add some pictures over the next couple days.

Ive been playing a lot of Project Cars 2 on PC lately and even with FFB on the G25 on full strength, my mate had no complaints at all after 8 hours of racing in it.

Im yet to actually use it myself, but ill get to it soon.

Ive got 2 Sega Model 2 racing cab back halves here ( Indy 500 Twin ) that i intend to do something with when my new home is built, ive got no space at all at the moment. Once the house is done i want to set up an 8 player layout for Daytona etc, and will probably even do a couple with dual CRT projector setups on a curved screen.

You definitely need the sim rig to be sturdy, I built my own and its rock solid with a G27.

Did about 10 years of racing on rFactor (in a club) myself, but sadly everyone has moved onto rFactor 2.

I don't like rFactor 2 nearly as much as the first one, so haven't done much racing for the last 12 months.

I'm in the process of modifying mine to try make it more compact, so I can fit it in a certain area, once I'm done ill give it another crack.

My first cockpit was also a hyperdrive, but yes it falls woefully short in many areas, most noticeably the downward flex in the steering wheel mount, i made a vertical brace for mine to make it more solid.

in the end i bought a playseat, no complaints at all or need to mod anything, though i did attach an pair of exhaust cans from an old motorbike there at one point :D

You definitely need the sim rig to be sturdy, I built my own and its rock solid with a G27.

Did about 10 years of racing on rFactor (in a club) myself, but sadly everyone has moved onto rFactor 2.

I don't like rFactor 2 nearly as much as the first one, so haven't done much racing for the last 12 months.

I'm in the process of modifying mine to try make it more compact, so I can fit it in a certain area, once I'm done ill give it another crack.

I had rFactor ( came with my G25 way back in the day! ) but never really had the time to get into it.

For sure it needs to be pretty solid! That flex would be very hard to deal with in games.

- - - Updated - - -

My first cockpit was also a hyperdrive, but yes it falls woefully short in many areas, most noticeably the downward flex in the steering wheel mount, i made a vertical brace for mine to make it more solid.

in the end i bought a playseat, no complaints at all or need to mod anything, though i did attach an pair of exhaust cans from an old motorbike there at one point :D

Glad its not just me then! Ill post some pics of mine up soon :)

Pics! I just got home so ive snapped a couple, the G25 is mounted at the moment, i do also have a G920, G29, and 4x G27.

7DEFBC95-63EE-4C36-8F77-9A03E0796775.thumb.jpg.9d188f9d1a2fad694b9e7cb6cdaf4d28.jpg

0489A9B1-8E20-440A-A6E5-307115FCA900.thumb.jpg.f18b2fc818d8275844f2c6175566a2d2.jpg

4C3571A6-8622-459A-AFD3-CE51065AD256.thumb.jpg.d9afb0b1577080fe2eeaf09aeac80050.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the Logitech G wheels go, theyre all the same inside, although the early G25s had straight cut gears and are noisy.

If i had to pick a best wheel for use, id say G27 followed extremely close by G29, 27 still has the buttons on the shifter base ( perfect for Daytona VR buttons! ) and 29 has a nice little dial adjuster which is great for mapping to adjustments in sim racing games, no idea why they left the extras off the G920...

- - - Updated - - -

I tend to prefer the shifter up a bit higher like so:

5A419361-0030-412B-B44F-12695C3BB168.thumb.jpg.144369b45e19dabab93fd3005594f5e1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why all my photos are sideways either, seems to be an iPad thing with this forum's attachments, not sure if i can fix that.

I got a g29 and g20 last week cheap ex cashies and wondered a sim

G20 looks older and cheaper quality imo

When you say G20 do you mean G920 or something else?

I bought both my 29 and 920 a few weeks ago on special at JB HiFi and apart from colours and buttons, theyre essentially identical

When you say G20 do you mean G920 or something else?

I bought both my 29 and 920 a few weeks ago on special at JB HiFi and apart from colours and buttons, theyre essentially identical

Ah my bad yeah g920 for xbox one.

Ah my bad yeah g920 for xbox one.

No worries :)

I bought one of each new, and yeah theyre identical in terms of fit and finish, function only varies due to 5 less buttons and no dial adjuster, which for most users would all be irrelevant anyway, especially for arcade games where the most buttons youre likely to have a need for is 5 or 6

Logitech make awesome wheels, i've had a couple of Momo Force, but found the wheel to be too small. Ended up with the Logitech wheel made for the PS3 (don't recall the name) that can also be used on a PC, it feels great, good size wheel, and great on-wheel controls.

Logitech make awesome wheels, i've had a couple of Momo Force, but found the wheel to be too small. Ended up with the Logitech wheel made for the PS3 (don't recall the name) that can also be used on a PC, it feels great, good size wheel, and great on-wheel controls.

My mate has the old MOMO, he got that wayyyy back in the day, hardly used it, still in top shape! The old G25 served me very well for over a decade before the clamps broke a couple months ago, i never knew this but apparently its a common issue! $13 to buy replacements, and i was hardly fussed about that ;)