Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Darksoft Multi CPS2 Board Questions

Hashman

Question

Hey everyone.

I'm looking at getting one of these but have a few questions for those in the know.

I currently have a working A and B GREY XMEN VS STREETFIGHTER board.

1. Will this board be fine to use with the mutli?
  2. Should I try and find a already suicided board?
  3. If so where do I find one?

I like the idea of buying an already stuffed B board since you have to rip out the roms anyway but don't know of any for sale.

Any other info before laying down $800 or so would be awesome! Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Disregard the suicided requirement, that info is obsolete now due to the protection being fully reverse engineered and any board can easily be restored.

Use the A and B combo you have.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the install, it's relatively straight forward you just need to take your time with it. You need a G version GAL, other than that it's just a physical install. If you want to run original encrypted roms you'll also need to solder 4 wires to the board.

Roms are stored on an SD card so be prepared for loading times, around one minute to load a game.

Games are selected via an external LCD screen. I find this cumbersome but it is what it is. You'll need to print a case for it and work out somewhere to mount it.

Disregard the suicided requirement, that info is obsolete now due to the protection being fully reverse engineered and any board can easily be restored.

Use the A and B combo you have.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the install, it's relatively straight forward you just need to take your time with it. You need a G version GAL, other than that it's just a physical install. If you want to run original encrypted roms you'll also need to solder 4 wires to the board.

Roms are stored on an SD card so be prepared for loading times, around one minute to load a game.

Games are selected via an external LCD screen. I find this cumbersome but it is what it is. You'll need to print a case for it and work out somewhere to mount it.

Thanks for your help Frank. I like how it remembers settings for each game that is loaded as I’d most likely be using it onsite and only changing game every few months.

Not really murder as it could always be restored, so there's no permanent / irriversable damage done. Restoring the security key can be done via Arduino, Infinikey and even a PIC ex Jaycar can be used.

Yes, battery is removed so that keys can be flashed for each game loaded by the multi upon boot.

This will make life easier for install of key-writing wires:

https://arthrimus.com/product/cps2-multi-kit-key-writing-quick-solder-board/

The previous suggestion of using a suicided board only, was so people weren't intentionally killing off boards to install a multi kit which back then, only supported decrypted roms (preservation preference of the creator). Seems its not a thing anymore.

I seem to remember a firmware-update method for older Darksoft kits to support newer features, so guessing the old kits would support key writing too, but I'm not going to bother looking into it. I'm more than happy using decrypted games, then run flawlessly