Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Anyone got an opinion on these replacement LCD screens?

zer0entity

Question

So i've heard getting anything bigger that 19" 4:3 LCD is difficult, but have stumbled across these on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32888607298.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.390327c9n5FFwb&algo_pvid=09afbed0-b7c6-414c-9b5f-7dfd718fe132&algo_expid=09afbed0-b7c6-414c-9b5f-7dfd718fe132-12&btsid=5a090f0b-51fc-4379-a18f-249b941fe574&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_6,searchweb201603_52

It looks like they sell larger than 19". Would this make for a good option if i ever had to replace my current screen, or is there something about these i'm missing?

Thanks!

25 answers to this question

Usually 95% of the work is brutalizing the cabinet to fit the new screen, and sorting out the bezel so it looks good, that can take hours!

Unless you have a $free option on an LCD screen and any converter board you'd need, I'd just get your chassis serviced so it lasts another few decades, or wait until it fails and get it repaired. That may well be cheaper, or close enough to the cost of going LCD to make avoiding all the hassle worth it.

And that's ignoring the fact that an LCD screen rarely looks good in an old machine, and the devaluation effect of LCDing a classic cab.

Edited by Womble

Usually 95% of the work is brutalizing the cabinet to fit the new screen, and sorting out the bezel so it looks good, that can take hours!

Unless you have a $free option on an LCD screen and any converter board you'd need, I'd just get your chassis serviced so it lasts another few decades, or wait until it fails and get it repaired. That may well be cheaper, or close enough to the cost of going LCD to make avoiding all the hassle worth it.

And that's ignoring the fact that an LCD screen rarely looks good in an old machine, and the devaluation effect of LCDing a classic cab.

Pretty expensive and scarce on details, too much of a risk if you ask me

Thanks guys. Yeah this was more of an emergency contingency plan for if I ever have trouble fixing/replacing my CRT. A last resort, if you will!

I agree they are scarce on details, even the site design is somewhat baffling. There's just no way in hell i'd settle for a 19" LCD, and would do everything I could to keep my cabinet fitted with a CRT, of course!

Just thought it was interesting that you may infact might be able to find an LCD larger than 19"!

I don't mind the LCDs but they do have there shortfalls. What I have found is if you look straight at them they are fine such as in an upright or a car machine but if your viewing angle has you not looking straight at the screen, not so good.

You also want as smaller gap as possible between the glass and the screen. They also seem to look better when used with a tinted rather than a clear glass over them.

They do have there pluses as well. They are super easy to mount, are often low voltage and the big plus is they don't attract dust through static.

The low voltage bit is worthy of checking. The default voltage for low voltage LCD monitors was 12vDC but this is changing to 18vDC. I'm finding more are 18vDC and this requires some extra attention as does how they turn on and off.

You also want to drop the contrast and brightness down or you can start seeing pixels.

I don't mind the LCDs but they do have there shortfalls. What I have found is if you look straight at them they are fine such as in an upright or a car machine but if your viewing angle has you not looking straight at the screen, not so good.

You also want as smaller gap as possible between the glass and the screen. They also seem to look better when used with a tinted rather than a clear glass over them.

They do have there pluses as well. They are super easy to mount, are often low voltage and the big plus is they don't attract dust through static.

The low voltage bit is worthy of checking. The default voltage for low voltage LCD monitors was 12vDC but this is changing to 18vDC. I'm finding more are 18vDC and this requires some extra attention as does how they turn on and off.

You also want to drop the contrast and brightness down or you can start seeing pixels.

Thanks this is very useful info (if i ever go down that path!). I didn't think about the voltages i assumed they would just plug in to the mains. Is it possible to rig up a consumer LCD panel to a JAMMA harness? Interesting.

Appreciate the reply!

Thanks this is very useful info (if i ever go down that path!). I didn't think about the voltages i assumed they would just plug in to the mains. Is it possible to rig up a consumer LCD panel to a JAMMA harness? Interesting.

Appreciate the reply!

The low voltage ones do have plug packs so I guess you can call that mains powered. Older, fatter ones did have a main plugs that went straight into the monitor but as the market goes more for thinner, no room inside means move the power supply outside.

The biggest problem is how do you overcome the switch on, switch off feature these monitors have?.

You sort of take it for granted, you switch on your arcade, the screen comes on but that changes when you throw in an LCD/ LED monitor with an on / off switch on it you can't just leave turned on.

You don't want to remove the glass every time you want to switch the monitor on. Interested in how others have overcome this issue.

Also, the pictures of those monitors show 4:3 and what appears to be widescreen too.

They do yeah. I'm just surprised people are saying it's hard to find a 4:3 larger than 19" when these look readily available? Which is why i wondered what I was missing, other than as @Autosteve mentioned, how do you overcome the switch on/off issue if its not connected to the JAMMA harness like an old faithful CRT?

I don't think they are 4:3 - that's what I'm saying. I think they're being deliberately vague (although that's assuming their command of the English language is of a certain standard I suppose). If you look at the picture of what appears to be a bigger monitor, it looks 16:9? I've seen so many warped images on Aliexpress anyway, the proportions of everything are usually way off.

I have a Chinese/english speaking agent in Shanghai if you are interested in sourcing? It may be that he can find a factory producing what you want away from Ali (usually all agents) at the price/spec/quality you want if you would think about bringing a few in.

Pm if interested.

I don't think they are 4:3 - that's what I'm saying. I think they're being deliberately vague (although that's assuming their command of the English language is of a certain standard I suppose). If you look at the picture of what appears to be a bigger monitor, it looks 16:9? I've seen so many warped images on Aliexpress anyway, the proportions of everything are usually way off.

Actually you're right, yeah! The page is quite baffling isn't it, i'm sure it's not deliberate but yes it looks like anything larger than 19" is 16:9 ratio.. damn. Oh well, more motivation to keep my current monitor and chassis in tip condition.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Chinese/english speaking agent in Shanghai if you are interested in sourcing? It may be that he can find a factory producing what you want away from Ali (usually all agents) at the price/spec/quality you want if you would think about bringing a few in.

Pm if interested.

Thank you very much for the offer, I will keep that in mind if i'm ever in the position to buy one!

Pm if interested.

The first person that can market 25", 26" and 29" 4:3 LCDs with some sort of universal bracketing system will surely make money. It's not like they'd need to be fantastic panels to run 15khz or 30khz signals with fake scanlines.

If you can draw it the Chinese can make it mate. Whether it's profitable will depend on your numbers but you have to start somewhere. The first shipment for my company was in a cardboard box.

Getting the right (independent) agent that understands what you want is the most important part. The factories over there are used to people trying to screw the price down to the last cent. When you visit the factories and explain that you are focusing on quality first and price second to equal value in the end, they don't believe you at first. They get it in the end though and are very happy to work with you to that end.

I'm not going for it. I'm just saying you never know until you ask the question from someone who can actually give you the answer rather than just guess.

It's not my interest, i have no urge to turn the arcade on that is sitting in my shed from one year to the next.

If i can help someone by making an introduction i will.

We'llMakeASpecialPriceforYouDougPunkin

I'm not going for it. I'm just saying you never know until you ask the question from someone who can actually give you the answer rather than just guess.

Its not a guess pumpkin ive been importing and selling lcd panel products since they first became a thing 20 odd years ago.

No worries mate. I have no interest in arguing about it as i don't know anything about it. I don't want one, i don't want to make money on selling them, i'm trying to shrink my business.

I do know about dealing with people in China is all as that's what i do.

Yes that's why you need someone you can trust on the ground. He'll visit the factories (with you if you like) etc. It's a good way to do business for when you can't be there for a small rake. There's always something to sort out and i can't speak Mandarin except to order food.

ok then.. go for it. have 26inch 4:3 ( not 5:4) A grade panels made that arent 4 figures and ill buy the first one.

Yeah i'll buy the second one, even just to stash away in case of emergency. Now we just need 8 other people and i'll personally fly to Shanghai! :D

I go for the 2nd hand security monitors myself. Mainly 19" but they are 4:3 and to be a security monitor, life expectancy has to be 5-7 years. Mine come via the state's Health department because after all, no expense spared when it is taxpayer's money.

Your only going to get old, second hand 4:3 these days but I would prefer an old 4:3 good quality than a new widescreen that will probably die quicker.

Gumtree and EBay often have such monitor auctions advertised and they usually go for about $50. If not find what security company has your state's contract before they bin them. A couple of mine did literally come out of a site bin.

I go for the 2nd hand security monitors myself. Mainly 19" but they are 4:3 and to be a security monitor, life expectancy has to be 5-7 years. Mine come via the state's Health department because after all, no expense spared when it is taxpayer's money.

Your only going to get old, second hand 4:3 these days but I would prefer an old 4:3 good quality than a new widescreen that will probably die quicker.

Gumtree and EBay often have such monitor auctions advertised and they usually go for about $50. If not find what security company has your state's contract before they bin them. A couple of mine did literally come out of a site bin.

Kerbside collection is also good for lcds and crt's

This cab was found last kerbside few months ago and with round 2 in my area found a spot on lcd to suit