Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXLI - Game 7 ~ Raiden (closes 3-Nov)

Alien attack …

MGLXLI – Game 7 ~ Raiden

Nominated by gamer: Pessimeister

ROMSet: 0.36b1-0.146u1: raiden - "Raiden"

0.146u2-0.149: raidenb - "Raiden (set 3, Alternate hardware)"

0.150- : raidenb - "Raiden (set 3)"

esmS1nm.png

Game Story:

In the year 2090, Earth has suddenly become the target of deranged aliens. Following the invasion, a new cutting-edge weapon, the Raiden Supersonic Attack Fighter, based on a destroyed alien craft, is created for humanity's hope for survival.

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score and initials. This game finishes Sunday 3 November 2019, 7pm Sydney time.

Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No auto fire allowed. No stitching of INP files with save states. Single player only. No cheats allowed.

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

GAME 7 … Intense fire power …

5SmIPlC.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BandontheRun. I was. :) I used to play Raiden at the local bowling alley in the early 90's. Loved the sequel as well. The music has always stayed with me; so stirring and epic. It was this game plus Raiden DX that I credit for reawakening my desire for more arcade gaming experiences when I started going to Pixel Alley and Bartronica in late 2016. It's not going too far to say that it was largely because of this great franchise that I really got keen to play in the MGL.

I've even got that Raiden poster above on my wall! :007:

Extremely impressive score from Megaderek. I wasn't aware of his status as the TG record holder. But now I know. :) Before that, I'd been inspired by videos posted by both Barra and John McCallister on TG which helped me improve my game. Thus, I'm very happy to have Raiden as my second nomination achieved in an MGL. It should serve as the motivation I need to go for a new PB. I don't care if work is crazy at the moment; I'll be making time to play this. Good shootin' to all you schmuppers!

Well, enough wide-eyed romantic nostalgic blather, time to set a first score!

Pessimeister: 380, 420

0001.png.848742bf5d6beec0705718f0fd236eef.png

Edited by Pessimeister

why do you play 2nd player

p2 side has lower rank when using the red weapon, and vice versa for p1 side and the laser weapon.

but since Raiden 1 relies heavily on the red weapon for non auto and autofire runs it's significantly better to use p2 side

rank = difficulty, so to put it simply using p2 side makes the game easier, and its pretty noticable on nomiss runs if you accidentally pick up the laser

From one extreme to another. I quit the previous attempt after getting hit by the very first enemy bullet fired. :redface

Happy with this score. Not expecting to score too much higher right now. These days I'm only good for 3 or 4 games in a row on shooters before it gets painful :nopity:

raiden.png.17c36b750de752b73b88385aa11e578a.png

From one extreme to another. I quit the previous attempt after getting hit by the very first enemy bullet fired. :redface

Happy with this score. Not expecting to score too much higher right now. These days I'm only good for 3 or 4 games in a row on shooters before it gets painful :nopity:

It happens to everybody, some day, some game, you connect with the first bullet on the screen, or even bump into the first barrel on DK. The trick is not to give up and go again. And go again you did, with a new high score. Now that’s a good story. On the arm pain, it’s like playing tennis, squash or football after a while, yes after a while and age, it hurts! Recoup and go again later ... :redface

Pessimeister: 568, 600

0002.png.b2e22921d688e3918a9d386693550124.png

Had a great run in not losing any lives until late level 3, then fell apart quite dismally through level 4. Still 130 k from my pb yet. This was my first attempt at using the blue P2 plane. My assumption from DX was that the blue had faster horizontal scrolling than red, but that red had the faster vertical swoop. Maybe that's not true for the first game, but I can see why players go for blue in any case. Man, I love Raiden. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Notsureifserious.jpg.cbb749cc4108f3ead97a478ea80cdb1a.jpg

Great scores from Derek and Rob.

When are we going to see the launch of the BarraBomber and the V91 missile I wonder? :) They've both got top places on TG.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/raiden/mame/

@Wan1993 I remember that your friend Innuendo has the top score on RetroUprising. http://www.retrouprising.com/arcade.php?act=Arcade&do=stats&gameid=6072

Maybe we could encourage him to have a go? The more 1 mil+ scorers the better.

@Wan1993 I remember that your friend Innuendo has the top score on RetroUprising. http://www.retrouprising.com/arcade.php?act=Arcade&do=stats&gameid=6072

Maybe we could encourage him to have a go? The more 1 mil+ scorers the better.

Just checked Retro Uprising ... you've got a score of 527,000 points (2018), and Barra has 486,330 points (2014).

You now have a new PB of 568,800 points, from this MGL ... :033:

1112185292_RaidenHighScore.thumb.jpg.ce87398746b6a8235479b65d919f649f.jpg

Haven't played Raiden for a year or so and was a bit rusty to start with. Finally had a decent game and a new PB. Still, looks like I'll have to take it up a level or two if I'm going to compete at the pointy end.... some of the scores so far are epic.

Just checked Retro Uprising ... you've got a score of 527,000 points (2018), and Barra has 486,330 points (2014).

You now have a new PB of 568,800 points, from this MGL ... :033:

Ahh, haha. It took me forever to get anywhere near the top 10 on Retro Uprising. It was very slow progress but lots of fun. I also did that score with a joystick (now I'm on the keyboard.). My PB is actually 693 k, but that was done on another romset (Korea). Definitely hoping to improve on it over the coming two weeks. :)

Another great player to encourage would be Jessie Bogie from Brisbane, Queensland. Jessie was the top scorer for Raiden II in 2018's Australian "Battle of the Arcades". He scored 894, 970 and is a real natural at shmups, holding quite a few records at the 1UP in Brisbane. I reckon he'd be excellent competition for the top guys. His handle on TG is FrisoCloud.