Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LAI Cabinet. Anyone know where I can get a spare one of these?

zer0entity

Question

Hi all, I have an LAI "Big Red" cabinet and am looking to replace this part circled in red, this is the distribution box right? Does anyone know where I could get a replacement?

I've had two electricians tell me the interference on my monitor is caused by this. I've already replaced the power supply and still have the same issue so now my eyes are on this being the culprit.

Would appreciate any help! Thanks!

IMG_20190809_121054400.jpg

My last resort is sending the chassis to Jomac but i'd really like to eliminate all other possibilites before I go down that path!

9 answers to this question

im not sure electricians are all together a reliable source for diagnosing interference issues?. ive got one but the metal box itself isnt certainly isnt the issue.

perhaps show us the interfence, and the monitor type. and the isolation transformer if there is one. less shotgun changes and more info

Yeah understood, i'll try post as much info as i can. I'm at work so don't have an image of the chassis or back of the tube handy, but i do have a video of the issue here:

Obviously ignore the camera refresh rate differences you can see, it's the white "s" pattern interference. This is with the PCB unplugged so just a raw powered on monitor. Hope this is helpful for you. Thanks!

Is that so? So just a simple earth disconnect from the chassis would solve it and not cause any other issues? Interesting, thanks Womble!

Now of course my next question is do you have any idea on these particular cabinets what I would be looking for to do that myself?

Take some pics of the rear of the cab with the door open. Monitor chassis will be the circuit board with wires etc connecting to the tube. There will usually be a steel cage containing this circuit board and a ground wire will probably be screwed into the steel part of the cage (green wire, yellow stripe generally)

I dare say though, dont mess with it if you dont know what youre looking for.. dangerous

Another common thing which can cause interference, are big chunky coin mechs mounted in front of the monitor. They should have a big steel shield between the monitor tube and the coin mech - but in some cabinets these have been missing.

But looking at your video, i could only see part of your cabinet, doesnt look like the type of cab which should have the coin mech mounted near the monitor

If it is though, a simple test (with power off) would be to disconnect the plug to the coin mechanism, turn the cabinet on, and see if your interference is fixed.

Thanks for replying mrjamma!

I will take some pics when I get home and post here as a bump. But yes, to be honest i'm a software man, not a hardware man, and definitely NOT an electrician/CRT technician.

If it does turn out I can identify the correct green/yellow striped wire, is it just as simple as disconecting from either end?

The coin mech is in the lower half of the machine under the control panel, not under the monitor like some of the LAI Turtles cabs, plus my coin chute and mech is all plastic anyway.

Once again i appreciate the advice!

Edited by zer0entity

@mrjamma Ok so here's the pics of the inside of the cabinet and chassis, and lo and behold i can see the green and yellow wire screwed into the chassis cage. So is it as simple as unscrewing that wire to see if it fixes the earth hum? What are the risks/changes this will cause if I do so? What exactly have I got here?

IMG_20191017_164516642.jpgIMG_20191017_164529178.jpgIMG_20191017_164457339.jpg

And also, does anyone know what the pot in the next picture does? It's separate to all the other ones!

IMG_20191017_164547251.jpg

Thanks again!

Edited by zer0entity