Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Time Killer pcb

Andyj965

Question

Hi All,

I have a time killer pcb that has been sitting in a shed for years. During that time wasps built a nest on one of the surface mount chips. I was hoping someone could tell me if it can be replaced?

Also with the coin cell battery do I just solder the existing legs onto a new coin cell battery?

Thanks,

Andy

46c87140bde026e98f7f92e5e6bb1f4b.jpg78a77f2098b79bf7437e328a2a1040cb.jpga4a0c7cc04e2c14e961935d85dcd0c80.jpg10e3186788bcc692f494b7e92ef9037a.jpgdafea12e258852969b5ec8fe6ad73dc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

13 answers to this question

Best to get a battery with the pcb connections already spot welded on. You could solder it on but there is a risk it could explode. If you're going to solder it take precautions and have a wet sponge to cool the solder with as soon as you've soldered it. You don't want to heat the lithium battery up.

If you need isopropyl a 5 litre high purity bottle will cost about $30 from a cleaning supplies shop. Better isopropyl and cheaper than jaycar. Very handy stuff.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Thanks guys. I'll have at try with the isopropryl today.

Definitely like the holder idea. The coin cell battery is one of the smaller ones but if I can't find a holder I could always look at a remote battery pack style and hit glue it to an empty spot on the pcb.

Straighten what's left of the leg. Add a drop of decent soldering flux, perhaps in a syringe. use a small bit of wire to bridge the connection like a through hole component leg. That may be too big, perhaps a wire strand will work better. Yes it can be done. Use some tweezers to hold the wire and magnification, solder one end and then the other. Then clean the flux with your isopropyl. Lowish heat with a fine tip soldering iron and a steady hand. Was there more than one broken leg? Alternatively if you can identify the component and source it you could use a cheap hot air rework station to remove and replace that smd package. Solder paste is magical stuff. Plenty of videos on YouTube about smd soldering. Louis rossman is who I'd suggest you should watch. Amazing talent.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Thanks Kramer. Initially i was trying to use the very tip of a pin to gently (or at least i though gently) scrape between the legs. One of those stupid moments when i should use patience and ask for advice rather than think i had a great idea and break stuff :redface

After your advice i used Isopropyl and a small pikster that fit behind the legs to remove the remaining mud

I'll be getting someone with significantly more soldering skill than me to try to fix the legs but will definitely keep an eye out for the chip on the very remote chance that one comes up

Edited by Andyj965

This is the definition of a parts board destine for the scrap pile. It's not worth repairing, not only is it a crap game it's not worth very much either. I've been trying to sell a fully working one for £40 and no one is interested lol.

This is the definition of a parts board destine for the scrap pile. It's not worth repairing, not only is it a crap game it's not worth very much either. I've been trying to sell a fully working one for £40 and no one is interested lol.
Thanks mate. Won't be doing anything excessive to get it going then